Mother's Day Gift?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by amacgenius, May 7, 2006.

1. amacgenius macrumors 68000

amacgenius

It's next week, and this year I want to get my mom something nice, my budget is $100 - I'd like to order it online so I can have it shipped here in my name and she won't think twice about it.

So I'm drawing a blank for an idea, so I've come to the MR community, so fire away.

(Be appropriate, and keep in mind she's 47.)

2. Stridder44 macrumors 68040

Stridder44

3. kretzy macrumors 604

kretzy

On Sunday.

It's hard to make suggestions without having some idea of the things your mother likes, but here's what I've gotten my mum in the past; theater/musical tickets, cds and dvds, slippers, perfume just to name a few. I think you can get pretty much anything as long as it comes with breakfast in bed.

4. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    Get a picture of yourself and get it well framed. She'll love it (even if you don't)

Or how about a magazine subscription where she'll enjoy something year round?

Or a plant for the garden - a camelia or something that lasts for more than a single year?

Or get her a small physical item and take her out for dinner so she's not cooking/clearing up afterwards.

5. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

Take her out....get her the best card money can afford.

What is she interested in?

Bless

6. Sogo macrumors 6502

I am going to give/send my mother one of those oversized cards.

7. rockthecasbah macrumors 68020

rockthecasbah

chocolate. 'nuff said...unless she's allergic, then get a book store gift certificate :)

8. truz macrumors 6502a

truz

I got my mother some pillows for her couch as, the ones she has now are starting to get holes in them, and the cotton keeps falling out. (5 of them replaced)

as for my wife, I got her a ipod shuffle on ebay for $35 (512mb refurbished like new) for my son to give her.

9. jadekitty24 macrumors 65816

jadekitty24

Does she like candles? Or potpourri? Any of that smelly girly stuff? $100 could go pretty far for a nice Yankee Candle basket. I would recommend www.candlestomydoor.com for that if you live here in the US. They have a good selection and flat shipping of $5 for orders up to $50, it might be free beyond $50.
    I just checked the website to see if I had the correct shipping cost and if you go there right now you can read a testimonial I sent them a while back on the bottom of the front page. Oooh, I feel famous! By the way, everything I stated in the testimonial is true...they are the best if candles are your thing.

10. Peyton macrumors 68000

Peyton

I went to 1800flowers.com and had a lot of flowers delivered once, it went over really well.

Martha stewart is also selling flowers on line, the look nice, nice vases etc.

marthasflowers.com

probably best not to get 1 $100 thing, but several $30 or so things

11. amacgenius thread starter macrumors 68000

amacgenius

I'm gonna go with a gift basket from here, because they allow PayPal payment and this way mom won't see it on her Credit Card statement then wonder why I'm giving her $ to put on her CC bill :) - thanks Megan!

12. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

13. amacgenius thread starter macrumors 68000

amacgenius

Bought her a 14.5 oz Midsummers Night candle w/ Gift Wrap - thanks a lot jadekitty24 for showing me that, I know she'll love it!

14. jadekitty24 macrumors 65816

jadekitty24

No problem at all. By the way, that is one of my favorite scents.

15. amacgenius thread starter macrumors 68000

amacgenius

Hers too, she gave me one of her 14.5oz's to put on my desk, I've burned 50% of it :).

16. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Really? Midsummer's night to me always smelled like ass. I love clean cotton for the bathrooms and something like Home Sweet Home for the living rooms.

17. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

If she makes meals for you...something worth more than anything you can buy is to practice a recipe a couple of times in secret *don't botch it* and then make it for her that night...no holds barred, just make dinner. :)

18. Felldownthewell macrumors 65816

Felldownthewell

got my mom an ipod nano white (my dad has the black one)

19. amacgenius thread starter macrumors 68000

amacgenius

I wanted to buy her a Pink iPod mini but the cheapest I could find was $150 which was over budget.

20. truz macrumors 6502a

truz

I'm trying to save some money so I have to cut birthday and holiday spending down or else my house will never get built :( For the ones who have less money to spend, a lovely card and picture of yourself/family and or a nice plant. My family really does not like flowers as they don't last very long. A plant can last as long as you want it. Just needs some TLC ;)

21. Leareth macrumors 68000

Leareth

Cook her dinner or take her out for food...
    flower are good, but get her ones that will last for years, ie not cut ones.
    For my mother, i got her RAM for her brand new iMac , Chocolates (godiva), certificate to her favorite salon/spa, jar of 100% natural local made strawberry jam and 2 lbs bag of local all natural wild salmon jerky and a lucky bamboo plant , without the RAM the cost is under $100 and she will be quite happy getting this stuff. the food products are not available in normal stores you kind of have to oder them well in advance and they are only sometimes available...oh and I am cooking dinner at my place.
    :D

22. Stridder44 macrumors 68040

Stridder44

Ah, many thanks! I'll prolly get her a new coffee maker as she needs one really bad.

23. jadekitty24 macrumors 65816

jadekitty24

I finally figured out what I'm getting my mom, also Saturday is my dad's b-day. I just went back to work, this week I am getting my first check and it's only a 2-dayer, so needless to say no loot. I do, however, have a Dell P4 3 GHz sitting in my room that is only used for folding. I tried to give them my old iBook, but when my mom asked if it came with Windows I gave up the fight. So they are getting the Dell (with the 15" lcd, me thinks I need a bigger monitor anyway) as a combo Happy Birthday/Happy Mothers Day gift. They are using a 800mMHz P3 so this will be a welcome upgrade. I was really starting to sweat that until I talked to my mom-she was saying for PC is on the way out and she definitely can't afford a new one. Then it dawned on me, I have a Dell I never use. Yeah me!

24. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    Those new coffee machines that you put on the stove top to make espresso but also have a space to pour milk in the top to make cappuccino or lattes are pretty good. They're about $70 - $80 but it's amazing that they produce decent espresso and froth from a single pot!

25. iGary Guest

iGary

You ought to get a gift certificate to a nice restaurant in town so she can go out one night and not have to cook.

I usually do a dozen yellow roses - I'm a flower guy, and my step mum seems to like em.