Motion or FCE?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by yoman, Jun 3, 2004.

1. yoman macrumors 6502a

yoman

I am planning on buying the one of the Rev B. Dual G5s when they come out. (if ever :( ) I also want to do some semi-serious amateurish :) editing of family movies. I have been looking at Motion and FCE and I'm not really sure which one would suit me better. Should I get both? I don't want to if I don't have too.

2. Laslo Panaflex macrumors 65816

Laslo Panaflex

You are not going to be able to edit video with Motion, you need FCP or FCE for that. Motion is for adding 2d animated graphics and effects to edited footage. I second thought, you might be able to do some limited editing with Motion, but it is not worth the hassle, just get FCE.

3. yoman thread starter macrumors 6502a

yoman

I was wondering about these options. Which one would allow funner but affordable editing?

iMovie+Motion

or

FCE alone

or

FCE+Motion= pricey :(

4. Espnetboy3 macrumors 6502

i have been getting into film editing the last few weeks , trying to film a short movie and messing around with older films. My friend majors as a film major in college and uses fcp4. I asked him to teach it to me and he said try using imovie. I did and found it to be extremely useful and can do mostly everything i need to. Some of the plugins can take it a little further also. You should try that first. Plus i mean your not tryin to get into color correction or antyhing so yes try imovie first youll be happy with it.

5. Flowbee macrumors 68030

Flowbee

As said above, Motion is not an editing program. It's used to create complex motion graphics. If you're going to be editing 'family movies,' you'll really have no use for the program. Get it out of your head for now.

I would really recommend that you start out with iMovie to learn the basics of editing. You can do titles, transitions, edit sound, import photos, etc. with iMovie, and best of all, it comes free with your Mac.

Once you understand how editing works, you'll be in a better position to decide if you need to move up to a more robust application. If you decide to go with FCE, you'll be able to do some basic motion graphics work (probably as much as you'll ever need to do).

Save your money and start with iMovie.

6. legion macrumors 6502a

Biggest problem with iMovie is layers. If you don't know what I'm talking about, then stick with iMovie.