Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by gangst, Jan 21, 2005.

1. gangst macrumors 6502a

Dec 27, 2004
    Hi all,

I was wondering whether I really dhould buy Motion. I am looking to pull off some powerful DV editing, and was wondering if some good use of Motion, say in chromakeying scenes is really worth £199. I know very little about Motion, and was hoping toget some pointerss as to why I should buy Motion. What are pros/cons etc. Computer power is not an issue as Im planning to buy dual 2.5ghz powermac with x800xt.

Thankz in advance
  2. Daveway macrumors 68040

Jul 10, 2004
    New Orleans / Lafayette, La
    I don't think anyone but you could gauge how much use you would get but if you would like to try motion you can use it for free for 30 days with the trial.
  3. Laslo Panaflex macrumors 65816

Laslo Panaflex

May 1, 2003
    The primateRT keyer in motion sucks for DV, well keying sucks in general with DV, so if you are planning on doing chromakey, spend the money and DV garages DVMatte 1.5, its a plugin for FCP and works great.

Motion is a great app for adding motion effects and graphics, it can add real flair for your DV projects, but like I said, the primatteRT keyer in motion sucks with DV, works great for HD, but not DV.
  4. evil_santa macrumors 6502a

Sep 23, 2003
    London, England
    Half the problems with croma keys that I have to deal with is that it is often shot badly, ie subject to close to background, shadows on the key, green spill on the subject from being to close to the background, & that classic of the subject having the same color in their shirt / tie / jeans as the background. Spend time setting up the shoot, getting the croma background well lit & flat. This will save you tones of time in the edit.

The one thing I dread is a producer telling me that they didnt have enough studio time to set up the croma key & we can sort it out in the edit!