Motley Fool Article: Apple Is Rotten

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by pimentoLoaf, Oct 20, 2004.

1. pimentoLoaf macrumors 68000

Dec 30, 2001
    The SimCity Deli
    According to them, we are all deluded.

From the article:

"Think Different?" I've always found this key slogan in Apple's marketing to be troubling, and not just because it shows that CEO Steve Jobs needs to brush up on his fifth-grade grammar. (Hey Stev-o, buy yourself an adverb!) It's creepy and ironic because Mac fans -- especially the ones who write me -- are about as freethinking as the lovely ladies of Stepford. They're like a pack of Moonies telling a congregation of Snakehandlers, "You're brainwashed. Join us to free your mind."
  2. Steven1621 macrumors 6502a

Apr 10, 2003
    I would agree with his stuff about the stock, but the anti-mac stuff is just typical peecee user junk.

I think he is wrong in his assessment that apple will be hurt by not "playing fair" with the other musics people. I see it all the time that the people here at school love using iTunes on their PC's and go out and get an iPod because of it. Why give them the option to get one of the $150 Dell players to use with iTunes?
  3. topicolo macrumors 68000

Jun 4, 2002
    Ottawa, ON
    Yeah. In terms of the stock, it's waaaay overpriced. A price/earnings ratio of 73? a PEG of over 3? this is in the same territory as tech stocks during the boom--and we all know what happened to those stocks...
  4. 7on macrumors 601

Nov 9, 2003
    Dress Rosa
    lol, I've had billions times more problems with Windows printing than Mac printing. I dunno, maybe he never had Windows NOT BOOT when a USB printer was connected.

People have been telling Apple what to do for years, "Fire Jobs, that'll be great for Apple; License Mac OS!; Apple make an MP3 player-that's absurd!" Point is that none of those people are good businessmen. They're just journalists shooting off their ass. Apple's goal isn't to make the only computer sold in the world, though that may be Jobs wish. Apple's more like a company that caters to its users. But that's with any other highly specialized company (Alienware probably has the same kind of feel to it-without the nostalgia).

Not really Apple's fault. Other companies just aren't writing drivers for the Mac. To prove this, some flash players can sync with itunes and the "MissingSync" can sync iTunes playlists with Pocket PCs. I mean, sure Apple could reverse engineer everything - but that would make them Microsoft ;P
    Doesn't Apple release countless developers tools for public use? Just because Apple makes the best **** doesn't make them bad.
    That's like calling up Microsoft about a video card not working. They'll help alright, they'll tell you to call Nvidia or ATI. Doesn't mean MS is the devil for not supporting products that aren't theirs.
    Neither does it make Apple bad for not supporting every hardware device outthere. If there's a market for it, it'll be made by a 3rd party (MissingSync for Pocket PCs example).

I guess he is true about the investors being enthusiasts. But that could be said of any company. Moreso about Apple, but still. It's just like having a favorite shirt. Those people are truly crazy. Crazier than Mac zealots. "Hey, can I borrow this shirt?" Next thing I know the shirt is yoinked from my hands and then an angry voices growls, "WTF! That's my favorite shirt MAN!"
    And I guess when you make great products you have more of those people liking your "shirts."
  5. mj_1903 macrumors 6502a

Feb 3, 2003
    Sydney, Australia
    I think his comments about the stock price are actually way off. The P/E ratio is not taking into account Apple's $5.5 billion in cash. If it did, it would look much more respectable. Also, this next few quarters will pull down the P/E, did anyone look at Apple's forecast for this current quarter? There was a severe readjustment this quarter from 105 to ~60, just wait until this quarter comes into play, I am sure it will fall to ~40.

As for everything else he said, it's junk.
  6. jtgotsjets macrumors 6502

May 20, 2004
    Lawrence, KS
    why is he still using OS9?

no wonder he doesn't think the MacOS has gotten any better