Moto E398

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by cleanup, Jun 23, 2006.

1. cleanup macrumors 68030

cleanup

This is really more of a phone question than a Mac qusetion, but the ppl here are quite knowledgable ;) so...

Just got a Moto E398. Yeah it's old but it does everything a Razr does and it was dirt cheap. So... I also purcahsed a MicroSD/TransFlash card for it, formatted it on the phone, but when I put things in its "mobile" folder (that has the default Motorola audio/picture/video folders in it) the phone can't browse it. It can only browse the audio/picture/video folders on the phone's dedicated memory.

How can I set my ringtone/wallpaper to a sound file/picture file that's on the microSD card? Do I have to format the phone so that it reads its own OS off the card?

Any help would be appreciated... thanks... I need to figure out how to browse the card from the phone instead of just my iMac.

Thanks!

2. cleanup thread starter macrumors 68030

cleanup

Okay I've managed to switch the Storage Device for Audio to the TransFlash card, but when I go into Ring Styles it still browses the phone's audio folder.

I need to somehow set the files in the TransFlash card as my ringtone.

Is this possible? Or is the card really only useful for storing miscellaneous files? If so I pretty much just wasted my money since the phone has only 4 MB of internal storage...

3. Str8edgepunker macrumors 6502

You can't choose ringtones on your tf card on Motorola phones. They have to be in main memory.

4. aussiemac86 macrumors 6502

I've got a rokr, pretty much the same phone i think,

you need to transfer any sounds you want as ringtones, or pics for background, or pics for contacts to your phones internal (only4mb) memory.

to do this, highlight the item (sound/picture etc) from the menu for the transflash card and click the menu button (has 4 horizontal lines, at top of keypad) then in the menu that comes up select move (or copy, move deletes the original form transflash) and then select "Phone".

Its a real pain in the ass, when it shouldn't be, but i spose at least you can do it.

5. cleanup thread starter macrumors 68030

cleanup

Well I found out how you can use pictures from the card as wallpapers... here's how:

In Pictures, press the Menu button, then "Switch Storage Device" and switch it to the card (usually called "TRANS")... then instead of switching the wallpaper through the Personalize menu, browse to the picture on the Tranflash card, hit Menu, Apply As, Wallpaper.

As for Ringtones, when you download a MIDI file from the net onto your phone and it asks you where to store it, you can tell it to put it on the card, and later when you press "Store" you can select "Apply As Ringtone" (although I saved all my MIDI files I downloaded onto the phone rather than the card just to be safe)...

If you want to test the downloaded ringtone theory you can try www.polyphonicringtonez.com/wap