Moto e815 as Bluetooth modem

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by tuartboy, Mar 25, 2006.

1. tuartboy macrumors 6502a

tuartboy

I got a motorola e815 today and immediately synced it up with os x to copy over contacts and such. Worked flawlessly.

I then did the dialup hack and configured os x to use it as a bluetooth modem. Again, worked flawlessly. Pretty fast too.

Amazing phone.

I do have one question, however. Does anyone have experience with doing this on a verizon phone and what can I expect in the way of billing? I have heard that Verizon only seems to really care when hooking up to EVDO, but I am only on 1x. I heard it only uses up minutes on 1x and there are no extra charges.

Is this correct? I want to use this feature (I am traveling a lot next week) but I am not going to pay through the nose to get them. 1x data should be allowed anyway, IMHO...

2. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

I only use my e815 as a modem for about 5-10 mins a month. I just check my mail a few times while I'm on the go. I've never been charged. I have heard stories where people have been charge huge bills, though.

3. ITASOR macrumors 601

ITASOR

I use my v265 as a modem with the 3G method and have never been charged, except for airtime. I use 1x, as EvDO isn't supported on that particular phone.

Grapes, where did you read about people getting charged? I've read all the threads about this on Howard Forums and everyone says they've never been charged a fee.

4. tuartboy thread starter macrumors 6502a

tuartboy

I'm probably going to be racking up quite a few hours of usage next week and, if you are right, I'm glad to hear it.

5. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

I always connect at EVDO. Is there a way to force 1x?

6. tuartboy thread starter macrumors 6502a

tuartboy

Not that I know of. However, many people are suggesting that people who are in EVDO coverage and wish to do this sign up for the VCast service. The $5/mo. service includes unlimited data and most people agree that Verizon has not been able to determine Vcast data from DUN data.

Sounds good to me, but I live in a 1x town.

7. ITASOR macrumors 601

ITASOR

I don't think so, but I wish there was so that I could upgrade phones.

What are you guys using for a modem script? Just the Verizon_Wireless_STD_Driver?

8. tuartboy thread starter macrumors 6502a

tuartboy

The "Verizon Support (PC 5220)" driver.

It occasionally fails on connect, but you just have to try again until it works.

9. ITASOR macrumors 601

ITASOR

IM me and I'll send you the other script, it works way better for me. Never fails to connect.

10. tuartboy thread starter macrumors 6502a

tuartboy

11. kugino macrumors 65816

kugino

so does this mean i won't have to get the unlimited data plan? it's $40/month. will the VCast plan suffice? or will i even need vcast if i only use 10-15 minutes of DUN/month?

12. ITASOR macrumors 601

ITASOR

I answered your PM via e-mail. Let me know how it works, I don't think it was working for tuartboy, but it said it supported the e815.

Does anyone know if the dialup thing would work the the RAZR V3c? I'm thinking it probably should, but I'm not really sure. How about with ANY phone with the Verizon UI like the razr has?