Moto Razr questions: T-Mobile or Cingular?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Demon Hunter, Aug 24, 2005.

1. Demon Hunter macrumors 68020

I'm about to drop $200 on the Razr and I was wondering:

I can't find many differences between T-Mobile and Cingular. They both have good coverage in my area (Minneapolis), although I couldn't find a Cingular plan for less than $39/mo. This is a problem, because T-Mobile offers me a $19 or $29 plan which better fits my needs (I am a light user, perhaps I just answered my own question). Also, the T-Mobile contract is 1-year, and Cingular is 2-years.

1. What do you guys think of Cingular and T-Mobile, since they both offer this phone for the same price now?
    2. Is it true that neither of them restrict Bluetooth, in any respect? I am leaving Verizon for this (and other reasons).
    3. Is the Razr 100% compatible with Tiger now? If not, what doesn't work (iCal, Address Book)?

EDIT: Apple claims it works with everything except To-Do lists and Address Book pictures.

Until the first Apple cellphone descends from above (probably accompanied by Jesus... or better yet, Jesus using an iPhone as he descends from heaven... "sup Father. Can you hear me now? Visibility is good, I'm on schedule." :D), the crappy iTunes mobile can bite me.

Thanks. :)

2. XNine macrumors 68040

XNine

Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?
    T-Mobile. Cingular sucks. Their customer service (as well as phone) is horrible, and msot of their phones are cheap, stripped down versions of other carriers.

No phone company is great, but Tmobile is better than Cingular.

3. nels0360 macrumors member

I have a RAZR on T-Mobile in the Cities. I love it ... great reception.

I would go with T-Mobile...nothing but good experiences especially around here.

4. ckeck macrumors 6502a

ckeck

None of your points are valid. Cingular's GSM network is not only bigger, but better and more tested. Cingular & AT&T both built out their GSM network before T-Mobile.

None of the phones are cheap either, and now with Cingular being the largest provider in the US they get to pick and choose from the best. It is other companies like T-Mobile who get stripped down versions of Cingulars phones, not the other way around.

The T-Mobile network isn't bad - its a good quality GSM network, the problem is its SIZE. They don't have much coverage outside of large cities...its that simple.

Rate plans are probably what it comes down to for you. $39.99 w/ Cingular isn't bad for what you get, but if you use less than 100 minutes a month you could get by cheaper...

What is your usage like?

5. Demon Hunter thread starter macrumors 68020

Appreciate the responses.

Cool...

Yeah I do like Cingular's network size, if I ever go out of the midwest. I'm a student so most of my calls are quick and from the city, ex. "pick me up the station", calls to profs, friends, occassionally longer calls with friends but I figure I can save those for weekends.

What's with the blue "m" dot on the Razr? It's silver on some photos and blue on others. I'm nitpicky. :p

6. SLCentral macrumors regular

Well, first off, don't drop $200 on the Razr when you can get it for FREE. I believe buy.com, amazon.com, and tigerdirect.com give it to you for free after rebates.

I've had both T-Mobile and Cingular, and right now I'm using Cingular with my Razr. I found them to be very comparable, but customer service wise, I give T-Mobile the edge. The edge goes to Cingular for signal, as it is significantly (but not a deal-breaker) better for reception.

7. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

With my T-Mobile phone, it automatically uses Cingular's network without charge when a Cingular signal is available and a T-mo one is not. (I know because my phone lets me set the banner at the top to the service provider, and so says Cingular at the top during this time).

8. AmbitiousLemon Moderator emeritus

AmbitiousLemon

This is what I was going to point out. With T-mobile you get free roaming on Cingular's Network. So In terms of network size T-mobile is better since the actual size is that of T-mobile plus Cingular. -- choice seems obvious to me.

9. ckeck macrumors 6502a

ckeck

This is true in CERTAIN markets only. Some areas like South Texas, Cingular & T-Mobile have roaming agreements.

10. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Ahhh, I see. Thanks. :) I believe I have used this feature in: Florida, Michigan, Indiana, Ohio, Illinois and California, too. But I guess I'm not surprised it's not true everywhere....

11. Demon Hunter thread starter macrumors 68020

Thanks for pointing that out, but here's the thing about Amazon's "deal": you have to buy a service plan of $39 or more (says something about cancellation fees) for a year, so total ownership costs $468 or $150 up front. Compared with a total ownership of $428 or $200 up front with T-Mobile's $19/mo for 1-year. So, not that much savings unless you need the minutes. What's worse, you have to wait something around 4-5 months for the rebate check. I'm sure there is an endless number of these crazy deals.

12. besler3035 macrumors 6502

Might be the only one who says this, but I've had HORRIBLE support and service from T-Mobile. Got rid of em a little while ago, and now with Alltel. But I do know people who have Cingular phones and they love them :)

13. DavidCL23 macrumors 6502

I recommend getting a Moto E815 (it's a decent phone, as good as a razor feature-wise, just not as flashy looking) and go with verizon based on their excellent service. I just went over my minutes and had an overage fee of about $85, instead of being nasty - as tmobile did when I had the same situation as I was switching jobs, except with $340 in overages which they made me pay, so I promptly cancelled my account and ate up their insane cancellation fee too! Great way to treat someone out of a job! - verizon let me backdate my upgrading to a higher plan of just +$20/month and all is good :)

14. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

how do you like the Moto E815 i was thinking of getting it but heard rumors of the razr coming to verizon.... I like the looks of the razr but it seems too thin to handle, i never used or touched one... :rolleyes:
    How do you like the E815 is it too big. when i felt it in the store it did seem big compaired to the LG 6100. I'm at a lost of what to do... My LG6000 hindge broke, it still works but i want a new phone... lol should i wait until the thing dies or just get the E815

15. Demon Hunter thread starter macrumors 68020

I haven't dealt much with Verizon's service... my whole family's been on their plan for a while. I just can't stand the fact that they restrict Bluetooth. If I didn't need a phone so badly (picture this: 4x the size of the Razr, vintage PDA "smartphone") I might wait and see what ensues from the class-action suit. I'm just generally tired of their "GET IT NOW" scam... and I'm in love with this Razr phone. But thanks for the info!

16. Demon Hunter thread starter macrumors 68020

According to this, the rumored CDMA version has no Bluetooth and is a hair thicker (1mm). The pluses are very intriguing though, if accurate... 128MB of internal memory instead of 5MB, and a 1.3 megapixel camera instead of VGA (which I know nothing about). Hey, I might just take that. Anyone have more details?

17. wako macrumors 65816

My black razr phone that I got imported from europe when they were first introduced and werent in the states, works perfectly fine on my PowerBook.

I HIGHLY advise getting Tmobile. Although their coverage area is smaller than Cingular, I definately perfer their customer service and customer retention policy.

Their customer service is actually VERY helpful. I have called COUNTLESS times and everytime I get a very respectful representative that address my needs quick and easily within 2-5 minutes of being on hold. Their customer retention plan is also SUPERB. Basically after your year contract is up, phone them up and tell them you are thinking of switching. They will do everything possible to keep you, from giving you way more minutes, free messaging, even a new phone.

I personally have a family plan with Tmobile. After our contract was up we called them and said we were thinking of switching to Cingular. They sent 3 new phones that we chose, gave us 500 more minutes, and free messaging. Only to sign another contract with them to stay for another year.

18. Demon Hunter thread starter macrumors 68020

Wow! :eek: Hey dad... tell Verizon we're gonna switch...

19. chucknorris macrumors 6502a

chucknorris

I used to work for T-Mobile, so I take this a bit personally.

It's completely possible to receive terrible service from any company (after all, you often get what you pay for with low-wage call center help), but it is much, much less likely at T-Mobile.

The culture there is extraordinarily customer-centric, they make it very difficult to get hired, the quality control is murderously stringent, they refuse to outsource, and the centers are staffed much better than the competition.

In the face of all of this though, many apathetic lamebrains manage to slip through the cracks.

Personally, I hated the job. My goal is medical school, so I obviously don't like the lack of creative control inherent to most entry-level jobs.

It it is what it is however, and T-Mobile is the fastest growing U.S. carrier for a reason.

20. chucknorris macrumors 6502a

chucknorris

I would have given you credit. If you were nice, that is. :p

T-Mobile policy even allows it. ;)

21. Sutekidane macrumors 6502a

Sutekidane

I had my razr for a week before the WOW! factor completely wore off and I realized how impractical it was. Don't laugh, but I remember, when I was talking on it, and was doing a bunch of other stuff, and since I didn't want to hold it to my face with my shoulder (for fear of marring its delicate finish) I held it with my hand. Well, it slipped out of my hand and the bottom part landed in my mouth while I was talking, it was sooo funny lol. A friend of mine put his razr in his side pocket (not back, and he wasn't wearing tight pants at all.. baggy shorts) and he shattered the screen when he sat down. I returned my razr, and am now happier with the cheaper phone I got.

22. Demon Hunter thread starter macrumors 68020

I guess it goes with the territory... same thing with my PowerBook. It's so damn nice that you don't want to slam the lid shut, throw it in any old bag, or eat/drink near it.

23. chucknorris macrumors 6502a

chucknorris

It pains me that you would make such a comparison.

Buy a Razr today, and you'll need a new phone (due to defect or obsolescence) in a year's time. Buy a PowerBook, "outdated" as it is, and you'll be happy for several years to come.

The Razr, and damn near every hip new cell phone, is a gimmicky piece of overpriced garbage (IMO!).

Get a true free phone, one through the carrier itself, and be glad you did.

24. ckeck macrumors 6502a

ckeck

I agree with some of your other points, but T-Mobile is not the fastest growing US carrier. In fact, their gross adds are slipping and they are kind of desperate. Giving away tons of extra minutes, etc is exactly how AT&T went under...that and the whole LNP mess back in Nov '03.

From my internal information, Cingular will most likely aquire T-Mobile in the near future, is the govt will allow it. Time will tell...

25. wako macrumors 65816

Even though Tmobile might not being the best growing cell service, it sure is the top ranked customer service and customer satisfaction :)