Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sevoneone

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 16, 2010
Phone took a swim in a puddle a couple of days ago. Baby on the way and no budget for a top shelf device. Picked up a 32GB 2015 Moto X Pure from BestBuy for $270.

I know this phone is yesterday's news and, in truth, I would have much rather gotten a Pixel if I had the $, but I have to share that I am pretty impressed by what this phone offers at the price point: Great screen, great audio, decent camera, expandable strange and really good build quality. Battery life is nothing to write home about, but easily makes it a full day. It is lagging behind still on 6.0, but a 7.0 update has been announced.

I've use both of the previous Moto X phones before, so the Moto Actions and extra features are nothing new to me, but they are still pretty stellar features to have on a $270 phone.

Definitely not the shiniest or fastest phone out there, but probably one of the best values for sure.

Reactions: MRU

sunnyj

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2010
Vancouver, British Columbia
I used the Moto X Pure for nearly a year in 2015 and it's still one of my all time favorite phones. The front facing speakers, thin bezels and a nearly stock Android rom made this phone a pleasure to use everyday.

Channan

macrumors 68030
Mar 7, 2012
New Orleans
My only complaints about the Moto X are battery life and updates. I used to get decent battery life but now I get like 2 hours SOT. I still use it but I've since upgraded to a Galaxy S7 Edge and iPhone 7, so my Moto X is really only used for playing Pokémon GO while I walk my dogs and listening to music in the shower and I don't really need good battery life for either of those.

It's a shame Moto/Lenovo used such a battery inefficient display and take way too long to update this phone. It's still on 6.0, so it lacks all of the new emoji that came with 6.0.1 almost a full year ago. Otherwise I never would have gotten the Galaxy S7 Edge.

JHUFrank

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2010
My only complaints about the Moto X are battery life and updates. I used to get decent battery life but now I get like 2 hours SOT. I still use it but I've since upgraded to a Galaxy S7 Edge and iPhone 7, so my Moto X is really only used for playing Pokémon GO while I walk my dogs and listening to music in the shower and I don't really need good battery life for either of those.

It's a shame Moto/Lenovo used such a battery inefficient display and take way too long to update this phone. It's still on 6.0, so it lacks all of the new emoji that came with 6.0.1 almost a full year ago. Otherwise I never would have gotten the Galaxy S7 Edge.

Battery life was the issue for me also. I loved my Moto X Pure, but getting 2-3 hours on a charge was just killing me. Otherwise a really nice phone.

Reactions: Channan

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
I loved the Style/Pure. Loved customisation, liked the screen and its outdoor visibility, speakers were frickin awesome.

But two elements for me where it went slightly wrong.

1. Processor & battery. The snapdragon 808 has a lot to answer for. It ran warmer in my own experience than the '810' and we know what issues it had, and likewise seemed to suffer a lot more from thermal throttling and then because of the heat and throttling it made battery lif always less than it really should be.

2. Size. When you consider the 4.7" Moto X from 2013 was perhaps the most ergonomic little phone that has ever been produced. Seriously it melted into your hand, the increase in size each year subsequently actually detracted from one the finest points of the X. I would have preferred 5.2" instead of 5.7". As curvacious as the back of the device is, as it screen size increases so does the physical dimensions of the back and width, and it just didn't feel quite as great as the 2013 or 2014 models did to hold.

But despite those two elements that let it down a little, at its price point, it was a great device.

Reactions: Channan

Channan

macrumors 68030
Mar 7, 2012
New Orleans
Battery life was the issue for me also. I loved my Moto X Pure, but getting 2-3 hours on a charge was just killing me. Otherwise a really nice phone.
The issue is definitely the screen. Motorola used a very inefficient display that just consumed way too much power.
I loved the Style/Pure. Loved customisation, liked the screen and its outdoor visibility, speakers were frickin awesome.

But two elements for me where it went slightly wrong.

1. Processor & battery. The snapdragon 808 has a lot to answer for. It ran warmer in my own experience than the '810' and we know what issues it had, and likewise seemed to suffer a lot more from thermal throttling and then because of the heat and throttling it made battery lif always less than it really should be.

2. Size. When you consider the 4.7" Moto X from 2013 was perhaps the most ergonomic little phone that has ever been produced. Seriously it melted into your hand, the increase in size each year subsequently actually detracted from one the finest points of the X. I would have preferred 5.2" instead of 5.7". As curvacious as the back of the device is, as it screen size increases so does the physical dimensions of the back and width, and it just didn't feel quite as great as the 2013 or 2014 models did to hold.

But despite those two elements that let it down a little, at its price point, it was a great device.
Agree with both. Well, I never felt the processor was really lacking. It always ran fast and smooth for me, but battery life was never up to par.

And, while I didn't like how big it was at first, I eventually grew to tolerate the size, but I definitely would have preferred the size of the original Moto X.

Reactions: MRU
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.