Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Yoursh

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 28, 2006
MN

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
Yoursh said:
I was just cruising the Cingular website and saw a new Razr with itunes. linky..http://onlinestorez.cingular.com/cell-phone-service/cell-phones/cell-phones.jsp?RFlow=A&source=INC230056&zip=55117&q_deviceId=cdsku9870212&WT.svl=mod

I'm not really interested in it but I didn't see any anouncements for this. Is this a new product? I'm wondering if those new phone additions in itunes are to support this phone. Who knows...I thought I'd just point it out.

Isn't that just the V3i? That's been out for aaaages....

I had a play around with the new KRZR yesterday, it's a lot thinner than the RAZR and much shorter than pictures would have you believe. It's also got this rubbery texture to it that I'm not too sure where I stand on but it's definitely interesting.

But an iTunes RAZR is very old news.

Yoursh

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 28, 2006
MN
I wasn't sure, I had just never seen it before. I knew of the SLVR that ran itunes, I had just never seen a RAZR version. Hmmm...I guess you learn something new everyday.

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
Wait, scrap that. Wasn't the KRZR I played with, it was the RAZR MAXX V6. Still a nice phone though, much smaller though slightly thicker than the RAZR.

It was part of Telstra's "Next G" launch, they've got a bunch of the new phones.

Mind you, the KRZR can't be too far off if it's not here, Telstra are listing it on their configuration pages:

picture2ci2.png

Felldownthewell

macrumors 65816
Feb 10, 2006
Portland
The V3i is new to the US, although it is old news in Europe and...everywhere else...in the entire world.

Anyway, the KRZR is out here on Verizon, and judging by the prices from online importers it is the only new MOTOphone to be in mass production. The RIZR and MAXX are $1700 and $2400 or so respectively. I actually just checked and they are no longer for sale, so the prices will have to serve from memory. The KRZR, on the other hand, is $400.

Is telstra CDMA or GSM?

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
Felldownthewell said:
The V3i is new to the US, although it is old news in Europe and...everywhere else...in the entire world.

Anyway, the KRZR is out here on Verizon, and judging by the prices from online importers it is the only new MOTOphone to be in mass production. The RIZR and MAXX are $1700 and $2400 or so respectively. I actually just checked and they are no longer for sale, so the prices will have to serve from memory. The KRZR, on the other hand, is $400.

Is telstra CDMA or GSM?

Both, although the CDMA part only serves the isolated parts of the country and is being phased out anyway. Australia is basically all GSM and has been for many, many years, with satellite in the outback and 3G mingled throughout the country. 4G is on the way.

Telstra's government owned (just) and owns most of the telecommunications infrastructure across the country.

We don't seem to have this "what provider will it come from" malarkey over here, all the telcos offer all the phones, sure some may get them earlier than others but it's only a matter of weeks because there's no arsing about with the phones needed.

Felldownthewell

macrumors 65816
Feb 10, 2006
Portland
Chundles said:
Both, although the CDMA part only serves the isolated parts of the country and is being phased out anyway. Australia is basically all GSM and has been for many, many years, with satellite in the outback and 3G mingled throughout the country. 4G is on the way.

Telstra's government owned (just) and owns most of the telecommunications infrastructure across the country.

We don't seem to have this "what provider will it come from" malarkey over here, all the telcos offer all the phones, sure some may get them earlier than others but it's only a matter of weeks because there's no arsing about with the phones needed.

All I can say is that you are lucky. Here some phones get lifetime exclusives to different networks, while others phones are CDMA/GSM only and the other version can only be had unlocked through the internet. A good example is the LG chocolate; it recently arrived here Verizon (CDMA) only, but one can but a GSM pink, white, or black chocolate online, granted the price is over $300.

Here in the US, 3g is still the new technology with T-Mobile just starting to put together their high-speed network. Oh well. I guess it is because you have kangaroos and chicken salt; phone companies must just love you more.

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
Felldownthewell said:
All I can say is that you are lucky. Here some phones get lifetime exclusives to different networks, while others phones are CDMA/GSM only and the other version can only be had unlocked through the internet. A good example is the LG chocolate; it recently arrived here Verizon (CDMA) only, but one can but a GSM pink, white, or black chocolate online, granted the price is over $300.

Here in the US, 3g is still the new technology with T-Mobile just starting to put together their high-speed network. Oh well. I guess it is because you have kangaroos and chicken salt; phone companies must just love you more.

Your LG KG800 (chocolate) is different to ours, this is what ours looks like:

lg-kg800-00.jpg

We're a paradox of communications technology down here, our networks are better but the vast emptiness of our country means coverage is poor outside the populated areas. CDMA is left over from the mid-ninties when we switched to all-digital mobile networks but Telstra was too lazy to install the infrastructure in the bush. It's being phased out now, only the big 2, Telstra and Optus offer any sort of CDMA stuff but nobody uses it anyway.

It's also expensive because we don't have the economy of scale you guys have, we have a country the same size as the "lower 48" but with less than 10% of your population. Still, it's nice to get the good phones early - one of the few things we get early here.

Broadband internet is also a joke down here, I live on a main road in a city of 200,000 (pretty big for Australia, Sydney is 5 million, Melbourne 4 mill, the others much smaller, Wollongong is #10 in terms of population) and I can only get dial-up internet. But then, if I go up to my parent's place in a small country town they can get it no problems but it's expensive, slow and subject to download limits. But then, depending on what exchange we're connected to it's possible for us to get 24mbps ADSL2+ which is also expensive. The most popular "broadband" connection here offered by Telstra is a 512kbps connection with 200MB download limit per month for A$29.95 per month, now I can get much faster deals with much bigger limits but "Mum and Dad" families don't know about this so Telstra lock them in and stick them with excess download charges.

So despite early access to cool new mobile phones, the state of communications in this country is in the toilet and won't be going anywhere soon seeing as our Communications Minister is on parliamentary record saying that "most Australians are satisfied with the speed of their internet access." What a load of crap.

End rant/education session.

EDIT: And I HATE chicken salt, it's the work of the devil and should be banned, awful disgusting stuff.

Felldownthewell

macrumors 65816
Feb 10, 2006
Portland
Chundles said:
Your LG KG800 (chocolate) is different to ours, this is what ours looks like:

lg-kg800-00.jpg

We're a paradox of communications technology down here, our networks are better but the vast emptiness of our country means coverage is poor outside the populated areas. CDMA is left over from the mid-ninties when we switched to all-digital mobile networks but Telstra was too lazy to install the infrastructure in the bush. It's being phased out now, only the big 2, Telstra and Optus offer any sort of CDMA stuff but nobody uses it anyway.

It's also expensive because we don't have the economy of scale you guys have, we have a country the same size as the "lower 48" but with less than 10% of your population. Still, it's nice to get the good phones early - one of the few things we get early here.

Broadband internet is also a joke down here, I live on a main road in a city of 200,000 (pretty big for Australia, Sydney is 5 million, Melbourne 4 mill, the others much smaller, Wollongong is #10 in terms of population) and I can only get dial-up internet. But then, if I go up to my parent's place in a small country town they can get it no problems but it's expensive, slow and subject to download limits. But then, depending on what exchange we're connected to it's possible for us to get 24mbps ADSL2+ which is also expensive. The most popular "broadband" connection here offered by Telstra is a 512kbps connection with 200MB download limit per month for A$29.95 per month, now I can get much faster deals with much bigger limits but "Mum and Dad" families don't know about this so Telstra lock them in and stick them with excess download charges.

So despite early access to cool new mobile phones, the state of communications in this country is in the toilet and won't be going anywhere soon seeing as our Communications Minister is on parliamentary record saying that "most Australians are satisfied with the speed of their internet access." What a load of crap.

End rant/education session.

EDIT: And I HATE chicken salt, it's the work of the devil and should be banned, awful disgusting stuff.

That is a rather sprry state of things. I think one reason we have generally excellent internet access out here is because with so many businesses based here, there was a massive need for fiber optic lines to be laid, and the individual benefited. I've actually driven by Wollongong before, granted there was a small scale fire going on so I wasn't really paying attention to where I was, and when we got where we were going (some sort of wildlife resort/campground thing) I was so distracted by the kangaroos (I was 14) that I didn't really check out the internet situation.

The Verizon chocolate is different, but the GSM version available online is the same as the European/Asian/Australian version.

And I love chicken salt. Maybe because you can't get it in the states, but I find it delicious. Marmite and Vegemite, on the other hand, are gross. But that is a discussion for another thread, methinks.

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
Felldownthewell said:
That is a rather sprry state of things. I think one reason we have generally excellent internet access out here is because with so many businesses based here, there was a massive need for fiber optic lines to be laid, and the individual benefited.

Yeah, you also have more than 10x as many people - hard to ignore that sort of economy of scale. You have inland rivers that actually have water flowing in them (as opposed to our inland "rivers" which are just the path of least resistance for the blowing dust) which allows for a better spread of the population across the country which in turn drives the need for wider-ranging communications networks.

80% of our population live within 2km of the coast - what this means is that 80%+ of our entire continent is basically empty, no reason for telcos to put in big fibre networks across the country when nobody will be using them. Maintenance of such a network would prove incredibly costly. Remember, this is a country where you can drive the equivalent of the distance from New York City to New Orleans in a straight line and never even see a paved road. I guarantee nobody wants to be in charge of maintaining a network connection in some of the most remote country in the world.

Felldownthewell

macrumors 65816
Feb 10, 2006
Portland
Chundles said:
80% of our population live within 2km of the coast - what this means is that 80%+ of our entire continent is basically empty, no reason for telcos to put in big fibre networks across the country when nobody will be using them. Maintenance of such a network would prove incredibly costly. Remember, this is a country where you can drive the equivalent of the distance from New York City to New Orleans in a straight line and never even see a paved road. I guarantee nobody wants to be in charge of maintaining a network connection in some of the most remote country in the world.

The problem is also that you are remote- of course it dosen't make sense to run networks accross the country, but it would make sense to run them underneath the ocean to other places, IE the US and Asia. However, since you are so far away it would be massively expensive to do so, with not nearly enough return, which sucks for Australians. But you did get the V3i before we did, so its not all bad, is it?

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
Felldownthewell said:
The problem is also that you are remote- of course it dosen't make sense to run networks accross the country, but it would make sense to run them underneath the ocean to other places, IE the US and Asia. However, since you are so far away it would be massively expensive to do so, with not nearly enough return, which sucks for Australians. But you did get the V3i before we did, so its not all bad, is it?

Yep, we're a long, long way away...

And in about an hour I'm going to walk down to the beach and spend a good hour and a half watching the ocean whilst eating breakfast, sipping a few damn-good cappuccinos and reading both Sunday papers from cover to cover.

Yah know what? Wouldn't trade it for the world. :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.