Motorcycles and iPods

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Tongsau, Sep 19, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tongsau macrumors newbie

Does anyone use the iPod with a Motorcycle? Are there any special mount accesories? I have seen Oakley's sunglasses/mp3 player but it is not comfortable and doesn't help if you wear a full helmet or drive at night. Do you use special earphones? Do the regular earbuds fall out during rides?

2. camomac macrumors 6502a

camomac

i sincerely hope you don't ride with headphones.
    that just leads to dead.

3. JHacker macrumors 6502

JHacker

It's illegal to drive a car with headphones on. You think a motorcycle would be safer?

4. 748s macrumors 6502a

748s

Yes. I don't have anything special for it.
    Standard iPod in ear phones.
    They stay in my ears, sometimes when pulling the helmet on, one will come out, so just start the process again.
    My helmet has large indents for the ears, so they are comfortable. My last helmet had no indents, my ears got sore after awhile.
    I have seen a lot of riders using a wireless remote to control volume/skip/etc. The remote is strapped to the handlebar with velcro. I don't know who makes them or where to get them.
    I've seen flat mini speakers with a velcro back that go into full face helmets. They sit in the ear indents of the helmet.
    Not sure where to get those.

It's not illegal to use headphones.
    For general motorcycle laws in the US, state by state http://www.amadirectlink.com/legisltn/laws.asp

5. 840quadra Moderator

840quadra

Staff Member

Are you sure about that for every state ?

748s said it correct, and provided a good link on this.

Have you been in a car with a stereo cranked way up ? Same thing if you think about it, and in all honesty a car is WORSE because the windows can be up in and the radio can be on at the same time which can block out 100% of outside noise, also preventing you from hearing Emergency vehicles, horns, and general traffic.

Most headphones like the kind that come with the iPod, Diskman, etc.. allow allot of ambiant noise in as well as playing music, but that is not the way to go anyway, and yes it is illegal in most states if you use two headhones, and some states don't allow even one in ear headphone.

Many states will allow you to use in helmet speakers for music, or bike to bike communication. These speakers are made especially for helmets, and actually have good sound for what they are.

I purchased a set from http://www.helmetaudio.com/ for $20 and use them on my KTM during Practice days at AMA tracks.

6. Tongsau thread starter macrumors newbie

California?

You can't believe that I can hear any better on the freeway without headphones.....? what do you get when you rolll down your window? Wind noise from hell.

7. Tongsau thread starter macrumors newbie

Headphone law

It's not the law here. I have seen guys wear them with out helmets and wonder if they stay in.

8. JDN macrumors 6502a

Wearing headphones on a motorcycle is a death wish. I cant believe people would even begin to think about it. They say cars kill motorcyclists because they arent paying attention, maybe they should look at motorcyclists wearing headphones, completly blocking out one of the main senses needed.

9. 748s macrumors 6502a

748s

Sounds like you are projecting your fears on others.
    I reject this post as uninformed.
    I also find it offensive.

10. hal0n macrumors regular

i think this is some of the most disrespectful uninformed bull crap that I have seen on this board. before you start telling people how to ride and what they are doing wrong, maybe you should try getting on a bike. i've riden, i've crashed, etc, etc...

oh, yeah... and i listen to my ipod in my convertible, too. how is it that i am not dead yet? it must be a miracle... or maybe it's that i'm not an idiot. i think they inprove my safety in the car. the chances are so low that i'll be in an accident and the chances are very high that i will have hearing damage due to loud wind noise for prolonged periods.

11. localghost macrumors regular

in ear headphones are a good economical approach - they help to reduce the noise even if your ipod is off but can get uncomfortable on long rides.

if you ride a lot and can spend more cash: there are some helmets with integrated headphones out there, i have been using baehr helmets for more than 5 years now, it works perfect for me (++ they are very silent with the music off).

oh, and don't listen to all those car-drivers telling you how to ride a bike .. .

12. JAT macrumors 603

Amazing. So, you guys who ride motorcycles are what, ready to shoot the other people posting here? Just because they don't ride motorcycles and don't know as much about it. I wonder why the stereotypes exist.....

13. hal0n macrumors regular

you're the only one talking about shooting anyone.

we just suggested that it's probably better that people who know what they are talking about suggest whether things are right or not. someone with years of riding experience is probably a better source for safety advice than some close-minded reactionary person with little to no experience.

and.. as to why the stereotypes exist: it's because of people like you putting words in our mouths.. and acting like we're the unreasonable ones.

14. JDN macrumors 6502a

Im not getting into this argument. Its not worth the energy. I come from alot more experience than you could imagine.

15. Tongsau thread starter macrumors newbie

to the missinformed

Since there are products on the market that compete with the iPod specifically for Motorcycles. The advanced Honda Goldwing comes with speakers in the helmet and even police wear speakers in their helmets, not to mention the hundreds of thousands of people talking on their cell phones or listening to music. There doesn't seem to be any danger in using an iPod relative to a car. In fact since a motorcycle has no blind spot and requires a more trained driver with more skills than the average motorist. I would say "where exactly is the danger you speak of". Maybe if the wrong song comes on and I get upset? Sound and riding only come into play when shifting, it doesn't help me otherwise, because I can't hear a thing over the road noises.

16. camomac macrumors 6502a

camomac

since you "informed" riders want to ride with headphones,
    i say go ahead. if you think impairment of anykind is okay,
    i say go ahead. this is what is known as cleaning the gene pool.
    one less impaired rider on the road is fine with me.

and to the poster that offered the real smart post about turning up a
    stereo in a car- how many accidents do people survive in cars
    compared to motorcycles... yeah you should ride with headphones.

absolutely brilliant advise from a cager.

17. Tongsau thread starter macrumors newbie

18. camomac macrumors 6502a

camomac

19. ecopod macrumors member

A thread that combines two of my favourite things

I've been riding a lot of years on road and track. On the track I like to hear simply based on it allows me to judge how close another bike is, the joy of racing pipes etc. On the road I have never relied on sound, I actually always wear earplugs anyway to block out the wind noise/loud pipe, like most good riders I rely on over observation at all times, much more reliable than sound.

I've toured a fair bit and like the autocom systems and hooked up my old iPod for the last trip, this allows a bit of music and cuts out if I want to chat to a pillion/other bike/answer phone.

Hope this helps this informed debate and the OP make a choice.

20. Tongsau thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah I figured no one on here was actually going to give me any help by posting other URL's so I figured I would just keep looking. But thanks for Hijaaking my post to a debate about your views. I really appreciate it.

21. Tongsau thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks 748s for actually replying to the question. I am looking on this site you sent and it is a real eye opener for me. No turn signals required, no eye protection if you have a windscreen, under 18 requires helmet.... All things I didn't know.

22. jtown macrumors 6502

Having ridden for years, I can say without a doubt that listening to music with standard "buds" while riding is one of the stupidest things you can do. IT CAN DESTROY YOUR HEARING.

I tried it once just to see if it was a practical way to break up a long ride. I had to blast the music until it was a tick below the point that it distorted just to hear the music. Then I realized how dumb that was. I had the player cranked up louder than I'd ever want to listen to it while sitting still and, on top of that, there would be the wind noise. The wind noise I usually cut out with ear plugs on long rides to protect my hearing. How stupid is that?

If you insist on listening to music while riding, do yourself a favor and look at sound isolating "buds" like the Shure E*c series. Yes, they're expensive. But they're not nearly as expensive as hearing aids. My grandma just bought a new hearing aid. $1200. For one ear. And that's not even top of the line. What's your hearing worth?

23. Tongsau thread starter macrumors newbie

Shure

Do you have a link, I don't see anything online about these.

24. rmhop81 macrumors 68020

rmhop81

if it's not illegal in ur state it's just common sense that it's not a smart thing to do ESPECIALLY on TWO wheels. Fine if you wanna do it in a car and someone hits u or u hit someone....you still remain in the vehicle. IF someone hits u on ur motorcycle ur road kill. As many crazy idiots i see on motorcycles here in dallas i couldn't imagine seeing some wearing their ipods......major death wish. What are you gonna do when someone is coming really fast from behind and u can't see them? I'm sure you will be able to hear them or maybe someone honking? No bc u will have ur ipod jammed in ur ears.....is it worth it just to have ur songs? Why do you think in some states they tried to pass the law to prohibit cell phone usage in vehicles? Because people are too busy playing and talking on the phone....same thing goes with an ipod...too much distraction.

ALSO..my gf's grandpa has been riding motorcycles forever and he is DEAF. He has to look out extra careful because he can't hear ANYTHING. That's something he always worries about bc it used to be very helpful to him back when he could hear. Now all he relies on is sight and that's it......

25. Tongsau thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm really glad you feel the need to share you opinion especially when no one is asking. Please go and feel free to start another post about the dangers of Riding with iPod. I'm sure many people will really care what you think. For that matter why not spread your gospel amoung the Mixed Martial art fighters and how there sport is dangerous. Many dangers exist in the world. It's dangerous to jump out of a plane. But people do it. That doesn't mean when someone asks about sky diving accessories you need to spew your opinion on whether its smart or ethical. So please, since you have no control over your mouth....go eat ****.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.