Motorcylce help

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by poppe, Jul 28, 2006.

1. poppe macrumors 68020

poppe

Hello.
    I really like croch rockets and cruisers, and have wanted one for some time now. I can't afford a brand new one, or even the ones on show rooms that have a few hundred dollars nocked off for being used.

I was wondering if anyone new of some good websites that sold used motorcylces. I need something around $2000. I dont need the newest cruiser or the newest croch rocket. I'd easily take a decent looking 90's model one, but I can never find any. Is 2000 to little to get a decent motorcylce.

Oh and it doesn't ahve to be 1000 CC... since I havne't been on a bike in 5 years, i'd much rather have 750 at the most. 500 to 650 would be the best.

2. poppe thread starter macrumors 68020

poppe

Yeah. I just like calling them Croch Rockets.

3. poppe thread starter macrumors 68020

poppe

4. kildraik macrumors 6502a

kildraik

For around $2000, I would recommend the Kawasaki Ninja 500. Nice bike, and you can get a 2000-2003 one in nice condition for around $2000. Good luck!

5. poppe thread starter macrumors 68020

poppe

Hmm... I've always thought about the Ninja, but some I dislike the looks and others look very nice...

Do you know though of any online website like autotrader or something for bikes? I've found a few but they all seem to be very hard to navigate and useless unless you have 4grand +

6. krimson macrumors 65816

krimson

Democratic People's Republic of Kalifornia
    try www.cycletrader.com except for local shop showrooms, its the only one i've bothered browsing.

7. poppe thread starter macrumors 68020

poppe

Alright thanks guys. do you all know what the process is of getting your license?

8. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Cycletrader and cragislist are great resources.

However, I caution you against anything below a 600 and here is why. Speaking specifically about sport bikes or crotch rockets as you say, the lower the CC's on the bike the harder it has to work for you. If you do freeway travel you are likely to be hovering at about 65 to 70 depending upon your level of comfort. a 500cc bike will work 25% harder than a 600 cc bike. The 25% may be off, but it's really the point not the math. ;)

On a cruiser or upright bike it is similar in the since that the bike will weigh more and the lower the cc the harder it works and the heavier it is going to have to work even harder.

Starting, since it has been 5 years I'd settle for nothing less than 600cc. But...in a couple of years you may grow out of the bike so used is not only your best bet with price but with growth factor.

There is a yamaha 600 I don't recall the actual name but I can look in my garage later and tell you that is a very good bike for a 1st timer or someone who hasn't ridden in a while.

License:
    The process of getting your license is to walk yourself down the the dmv and take the written test. If you pass, you get a provisional license that lets you ride during daylight hours only and not on the freeways...highways according to the CHP are ok (walked into the station and asked). You spend a few months riding like that if you can afford to ride only in daylight and then you go to a community college or go online and spend a few hundred dollars to take a rider's safety course, take a test, and get your license that way. It's the easiest way to do it and you get some experience in bike safety. If you drive in California then you know that the majority of the riders have nothing to fear about the bike except for the moron in 10 seater SUV beside you putting on makeup, threatening to smack her kid if they don't shut up while talking on their cell phone to their friend who has been waiting for them to go to the mall for the last 20 minutes.

The place I am talking about that isn't a community college is U-Ride Motorcycle training.

If you buy a used bike always bring someone who knows the ins and outs of bikes. You want to make sure that engine is good and some people will lie and tell you the bike hasn't been laid down when in fact it has.

Case in point:
    Yamaha 750, 2005 with 1200 miles on craigslist for $2800. This bike would retail for well over $9k used. It had a new seat, new gas tank, new bar grips, new break leavers, new tail lights, new exhaust. They were all changed from chrome to black because he liked the look. Turns out he failed to change the pegs and it was apparent the bike was laid down in an accident. When asked to test ride he agreed and brought out his helmet that matched the pretty bike. The helmet had a large scratch on the side...it looked a lot like asphalt hitting the helmet...when asked about it he confessed. Had there been no request for a ride this may not have been known. You generally want to stay away from newer bikes that are being sold for far less and have "new extras" put on. ;)

Good luck and stay safe.

9. poppe thread starter macrumors 68020

poppe

Hey thanks alot. Very informative. Never heard of cragslist. I'll have to try that out.

And here in texas the scenario you gave with the SUV, well you are a minority if you aren't driving like that, so its very likely I have to deal with that too. Though I suppose i'll be more dealing with F250 and "daddy just got me lift kit and stack exhaust (exhaust that looks like semi's), So i'm gonna ride this bikers ass, oh and I didn't recalibrate the lights so it now looks like I have my brights on always, isn't that super; hehe." Yeah thats what I deal with...

Perhaps i'm sexist... I dont know but I find tiny women in Trucks bigger than monster trucks a littler turn off... Though I suppose I laugh at men driving them because when asked where there farm is they say "whats a farm."

Thanks again.
    On the license process. I get that you can only drive during that day and all that junk, but what happens if you can't? Do you have to go take driving test asap?

10. d wade macrumors 65816

d wade

there are two types of motorcycle riders. ones who have been in a wreck, and ones who will..

sorry but i hate crotch rockets. if you want a real bike.. get a harley

11. poppe thread starter macrumors 68020

poppe

First off. I'll get a harly if you give me $30,000.
    Second. I'd love to have a cruiser like harley. Something like Terminator 2 would be so fricken awesome...

But a honda cheapo cruiser are still super nice, and if I could find one used and cheap i'd take it. Sport-bikes are a little easier to come by and tend to look a little nicer in the used and cheap market. So...

Just PM when you want to send the 30,000. I'll set up a paypall account. :cool:

12. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

In case you were wondering, and I know you weren't, Rhode Island has a mandatory training class to get a motorcycle license. Bikes (and helmets too i would hope) are provided. I might do it next year...

13. poppe thread starter macrumors 68020

poppe

Infact I was wondering... Last night I could sleep because I, in TX, was very concerned about Rhode Island and its laws in regards to Motorcylce operators. Thank you. Perhaps not i'll get somet rest!:p

14. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

before you sound like too much of a smarta$$, most states require a small class before getting a license

15. Queso macrumors G4

Bollocks to Harleys. Kawasaki ZX-9R. :)

16. iGary Guest

iGary

And bollocks to rice rockets and Harleys...

BMW R1100RS. ;)

17. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

AND even if the state doesn't require it, its a great way to save a bunch on insurance ...

18. Queso macrumors G4

Grandad bike :D :p

19. iGary Guest

iGary

The thing that bothers me about a lot of motorcycle riders today is that they get into it to try and look bad ass, or up their ego/image.

I've had six motorcycles and it's always been about enjoying the ride, becoming a better rider and traveling to new places for me.

These asshats on the road these days that pass cars on the shoulder and centerline, do wheelies and stunts at stop lights...have basically ruined the community IMHO. Many are poor riders as well.

20. Queso macrumors G4

I just love the buzz it gives me. It even makes commuting to work fun :)

21. iGary Guest

iGary

That too. I guess what I am saying is that there is more to it than riding around like a gangsta.

22. alexstein macrumors 6502a

alexstein

Bikes to look at in the 600cc arena are with a price tag of around $2000:

Honda CBR 600 F3 and F4

Yamaha YZF 600, R6

You are a little late to the game for the 2006 season. I can usually better deals beginning of the year.

Another Bike I'd like to suggest is the Ducati Monster I know it's not a real sport bike but it handles like one but it has a more upright seating position.

23. Queso macrumors G4

We get that down at Battersea Bridge once a week. All the youngsters turn up from the suburbs with their brand new CBRs and R6s to do burnouts and race each other. Real penis-substitute stuff.

Bit pathetic really. Much better to get a group of friends and go hit the Alps :)

$2000 for an R6? Bloody hell, they get cheap fast!!

24. poppe thread starter macrumors 68020

poppe

Right on iGary. Growing up I had a bike that was Vietnam War erra and it was awesome. I lived on a farm so I had thousands of back roads to just drive all over... Little sad it only hit 60 mph, but man it was fun... well until a grass hoper hit my shoulder and left a bruise...

But yeah you're right their are some "asshats" out there. Infact I just went in february to California, and a guy almost took off our rental cars side mirror, trying drive through the traffic...

More or less though, iGary, I'd just like a bike for daily college commute. My mustang (v6) gets 21 mpg, and if I run AC it gets 19 mpg... I'd much rather sell my stang and take an old buick we have off the farm and just drive that when absolutely need, but mostly drive the cycle for quick commutes.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    Anyways about the me being a smart ass thing, it was a simple joke. I figured I'd get lashed since its hard to make jokes like that with out sounding like a smartass, but it was merely a joke.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    God I'd love a Ducati... on of those 900 somethings or what ever... oh man... so amazing looking. I'd feel weird though... i'm 20 but drive like a grandpa... litterally I never go 10 mph over the speed limit... Thanks for the other bike advice. I'm not even looking for a 2006 becuase they are to expensive.

Could I really get a 2005/2006 Honda CBR 600 F3 and F4; Yamaha YZF 600, R6, for 2grand