Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

deanbo

macrumors regular
May 6, 2003
Nice! (If True)

Might have to buy one.

Never fear perfection, you'll never achieve it.

stephenli

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2004
yuk!

:mad: :mad: :mad:
couldnt utter a word, if it is a razr it may be impressed
it is nothing being an Apple experience
phone design, interface, fonts
:mad: :mad: :mad:

zissou

macrumors newbie
Jun 7, 2005
it is nothing being an Apple experience
phone design, interface, fonts

i agree. it looks ugly, it still has the motorola interface which is a nightmare. and i hate to say it but the se walkman phone is miles ahead of this oldfashioned approach.

i want an iphone.

GregA

macrumors 65816
Mar 14, 2003
Sydney Australia
zissou said:
i agree. it looks ugly, it still has the motorola interface which is a nightmare. and i hate to say it but the se walkman phone is miles ahead of this oldfashioned approach.

i want an iphone.
Yeah, the look and feel of this phone... it's almost as if Apple has provided exactly what they said they would. A motorola phone which runs iTunes, not an iPod/Phone/PDA ;-)

Damn them for doing what they said they'd do!
:)
ps. I'd like an iPhone too.

toughboy

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2003
Izmir, Turkey
agent79 said:
when will apple get it? why bother with motorola at all? why even mess with putting apple software in someone else's product? the answer is what i have been waiting for for years, and why i havent bought an ipod: a pda ipod/phone. ipods are cool and all, but i have no need to listen to an ipod. if it were a pda i would have more use for it. if it were a pda/phone i would have a huge amount of use for it. message to apple: you have successfully marketed to the teen crowd with the music only ipod. now go for the 18-48 crowd (i.e. the ones with money to spend) and give us what we want...the ipod pda/phone.

i'm perfectly happy with my "music-only" iPod.. Come-on man, are those 16 million iPods all sold to youngsters?!

if there's something that i'm not ok with, it is this ugly cheap phone.. Either let Jon Ive design something awesome, or at least put some alternative products varied from low-end to Razr ;)

GregA

macrumors 65816
Mar 14, 2003
Sydney Australia
mkrishnan said:
It would be nice if a Wifi-enabled phone could automatically link in to a hotspot and use VOIP to lower costs as appropriate, i.e. when making international calls. Something similar was supposedly a killer app of BT, which never materialized (but at the time, hooking into landlines)
BT has released their phone but it's a far simpler phone than what they originally advertised.

The original idea was a wifi phone to be used in your home, work, and hotspots with VoIP and your local phone number. When away from a wifi point it would roam onto a standard cellular network and you'd pay mobile rates for calls made or received. What they've done instead is become a mobile network reseller, and when you're at home your mobile phone connects via bluetooth to your local phone line. The charges seem more like a mobile phone than home phone. They say the Wifi phone is now a later step, currently hindered by Quality-of-Service issues on 802.11.

I only know this because I looked it all up a month or so back... made a post here: http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-replies.cfm?t=346495

inkswamp

macrumors 68030
Jan 26, 2003
Am I the only one around here who thinks news of an Apple or even iTunes-compatible phone is not even remotely exciting? I can't think of anything less interesting. Apple's products and product tie-ins always have this creative edge or inspiration to it. It's always something that gets your creative juices flowing. But a phone... yawn. It's like finding out your garage door opener works with your Mac. Big deal. It's still a garage door opener.

I really hope Apple's special event isn't focusing solely on this. I hope there's other news otherwise this is going to be a snoozer.

24C

macrumors 6502a
Nov 9, 2004
toughboy said:
snip...if there's something that i'm not ok with, it is this ugly cheap phone.. Either let Jon Ive design something awesome, or at least put some alternative products varied from low-end to Razr ;)
There are other product designers in the world besides "Jon Ive", and just as capable if not more so, they just don't work for a showcase company like Apple. Anyway phone design is all about the interface, and if you are going to add a music function, it would make sense to adopt the market leaders, which is what's happening.
It would be great if you could just apply a universal iPod/iTunes interface to a mobile platform irrespective of make, bit like doing a Windows version of iTunes, but with more variables.

garybUK

Jun 3, 2002
For the amount of songs you can store, why bother? most phones on the market can play mp3 and some can play AAC files, just re-convert them and upload them to your phone.

I've had and know people who have had several motorola phones and they are a nightmare, never again will I buy one! the software is soooooo buggy as hell it's unbelievable .... plug in the charger to charge the battery up and I get a 'Unable to charge' sign, take a picture and the screen goes white and reboots the phone....

I'll stick to Nokia or Samsung and spend a moment or two longer to upload mp3's.

balconycollapse

Cancelled
Aug 7, 2003
"Who are the ad wizards who came up with that one" - in your best Rob Schnieder doing Seinfeld voice

It looks pretty cool. I wouldn't mind having a pod shuttle on my phone to cycle through address books quickly. Too bad the rest of the phone can't have the "ipod" interface because motorolas os from cingular ssssuuucccksss.

aussie_geek

macrumors 65816
Apr 19, 2004
Sydney Australia
Meh.. :rolleyes:

Just looks like another phone to me. Where is the Apple styling? Will you buy this phone just so you can get iTunes downloads on it?? :confused:

aussie_geek

conditionals

macrumors regular
May 5, 2005
Australia
Will anyone like this phone? Now that's a tough call. I don't think the reception will be that great. I doubt it will cell out.

Enough now.

mojohanna

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2004
Cleveland
roadapple said:
I wonder what the battery life is going to be? I think that could be a major drawback on this combo.
Note necessarily, remember, there is not a HD spinnng up all the time to burn the battery down. It would also depend on how many calls you make/take.

Also just a thought... If you are listening to a song and you get an incoming call, would you get some sort of audible notification then the ability to choose to take the call or not? If you did take the call, would the song automatically be muted/paused and then pick up in the same spot after the call?

Piarco

macrumors 68030
Jun 24, 2004
Londinium
alexeismertin said:
One frightfully ugly phone

You're not wrong. Looks like motorola picked that design straight out of their own history books.... its just so backward. After all their great design with the RAZR, SLVR and that "RAZRberry", looks like they flushed it down the loo with this one. A opportunity missed I think. I was seriously considering risking the Moto operating system and selling my Shuffle and Nokia 3230, but after seeing it...... no way. Hopefully they'll get some design input from Apple for the next model....

Machead III

macrumors 6502
Nov 4, 2002
UK, France
runninmac said:
After seeing this i doubt that apple could be holding a huge media event about this. I would be VERY dissapointed with apple if they did.

I completely agree. Firstly, that's the most unremarkable, anti-climatic and generic phone I have seen in my life. Secondly, from what it looks like the iTunes interface on the phone looks about as basic and uninspiring as I can imagine. And thirdly, the damn thing isn't even white, it's silver, without any kind of click or touch wheel, and stupidly over-sized.

If this is the iPod Phone, I will be be extremely dissapointed. However, with Motorola involved I wouldn't be suprised, Apple should have made it themselves and left M to stew in it's own horrid R&D juices.

Heart Break Kid

macrumors 6502a
Feb 13, 2003
Toronto
i dont mind this phone to that xbox inspired garbage concept which was floating around the net. WHat i do mind is the horrible motorolla interface.

the one thing I could never stand with moto's fones is the way their phonebook works. I don't want to see 5 names for a single person, I want each of their numbers stored under one name, and once i select that name i can choose whether i want to dial their home or cell or work etc. Sony Ericsson w800i is the only way to go when it comes to music. Im sure it wont be a problem to sync with my mac, after all SE and iSync act like they were made for one another.

VanMac

macrumors 6502a
May 26, 2005
Rampaging Tokyo
Not impressed.

I'm in the market for a phone, and would be happy to buy an iTunes enabled one, but not this one....

I would be looking for one with a little more Apple 'flair'.

AP_piano295

macrumors 65816
Mar 9, 2005
wait people like how this looks?!?!?!?!?

I dont know but I think it looks muy terrible it looks really childish not at all sexy like and ipod ext... but to each his own

DTphonehome

macrumors 68000
Apr 4, 2003
NYC
Oh come on

It's been YEARS since I had to correct anyone, and usually it's a poster, not a website main page. IsrAel, people. Not IsrEal. Israel. Not Isreal. Israel.

Happy birthday,
SUA!

conditionals

macrumors regular
May 5, 2005
Australia
macrummors said:
Cellcom (Isreal) has reportedly announced

conditionals said:
Well I for one am convinced by this update that cellcom is real. Just not sure which country it's from...

DTphonehome said:
It's been YEARS since I had to correct anyone, and usually it's a poster, not a website main page. IsrAel, people. Not IsrEal. Israel. Not Isreal. Israel.

It seems great minds think alike?

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
conditionals said:
It seems great minds think alike?

Maybe .isreal is an inheritable property of the phone class's instantiable object? :p

For instance:

appleTabletPC.isreal = FALSE
leopardWillRunOnDell.isreal = VERY FALSE
widescreeniBookBeforeMactel = DON'T EVEN GET ME STARTED

:D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.