Motorola Mobile Phone question

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Abstract, Dec 2, 2004.

1. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I was wondering how well Motorola phones sync with my Powerbook. I know this question has been asked numerous times, but it's usually concerning the Moto v600. I'm interested in the Motorola e398, or in general, since the Apple.com website states that Motorola phones NEED a USB cable to sync. Doesn't sound good, but I'm not sure if that's just Apple covering it's ass, or if that's what I'll need to expect when I buy an e398. I want either an e398, or a Sony Ericsson T630 or K700i. I know the SE phones will be perfect, and I'll have absolutely no problems with them and the BT in my Powerbook, but I reallly want the Moto e398, but am hesitant because of BT compatibility issues.

I'm still leaning towards the e398, since my guess is that the BT DOES! work between it and my PB, but just how well it works is the question. Can I get my addy book info, along with my calendar? The Apple site states that it's possible with a USB cable, but not to expect my To-Do-List to sync.

Thanks

2. atif.muhammad macrumors member

all macs come with USB ports and the software you get with the mobile should be compatible with Mac/PC. Linux is the big problem.

3. BackInTheSaddle macrumors regular

BackInTheSaddle

Support varies for Motorola

I've had pretty decent experiences syncing my Motorola phones using iSync. I used the same USB cable from my T720 for my new V710 to download iCal and Address Book information. It is pretty handy as the reminder alarms for appointments do pop up on the handset.

Although the V710 has Bluetooth, syncing hasn't been enabled by Verizon here in the USA...in fact Verizon has crippled a lot of the Bluetooth features for the V710 to force people to use their "value-added" services (meaning they get to charge you for something you ought to be able to do for free). Check with your service provider to find out what features they are supporting before you buy your phone.

Motorola does support BT, it's just that their cellular providers can (and will) dictate how the phone will work on their network. I do use BT on my phone for the wireless headset (Motorola HS810 is awesome with voice dialing) and wireless data calls using the V710 as a BT modem.

4. walturbo macrumors newbie

usb cable

BITS, Could you please tell me where you got your usb cable and model number, I've heard about alot of usb cables that don't work well with isync and macs. thanks

5. BackInTheSaddle macrumors regular

BackInTheSaddle

USB Cable

Not sure what brand of cable it was, it was some sort of generic. I bought it at Best Buy in Downers Grove, IL if that helps you at all. If you have a Best Buy near you, you might want to check them out.

6. jaseone macrumors 65816

jaseone

With my V220 I just use the mini-usb to usb cable that came with my Canon Powershot S50 and it works like a charm. I just don't understand why US networks feel the need to cripple BT though, heck they are only just now starting to have phones that even have BT, the phones over here just suck big time going back to Australia and seeing all the cool phones over there a few months ago was just painful...

7. abrooks macrumors 6502a

I can't comment on the Motorola I personally dislike there phones, but my K700i syncs with my Powerbook wonderfully, even giving me a remote control fucntion without Salling Clicker, great way to freak people out :D