Motorola Roadmap and G5 Powerbooks

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by andreX, Oct 23, 2003.

1. andreX macrumors newbie

Oct 23, 2003
    Hamburg, Germany
    Can anyone here tell if there is an official roadmap for the next generation G4 Processors from Motorola? Early 2003 they announced the recent Powerbook G4 processor for the 3rd quarter of 2003 what turned out to be true.
    If there is a similar date for the next generation of G4s, this could give a hint on the availabilitiy of G5s , maybe?
    At least, it could give me a hint at how long I would have to wait for the next Powerbook Revision, be it G4 or G5.

Infos, any1?
  2. stoid macrumors 601

Feb 17, 2002
    So long, and thanks for all the fish!
    Generally, it seems as though Apple is done dealing with Motorola. Motorola has been stuck on the G4 for a very long time, and IBM has prototypes in progress for the next 3 or 4 generations of chips past the G5 that will be their development for the next 10-20 years. While I would have said that you'll have to wait until next July to see the G5 shoehorned into a PowerBook, Apple has given any January predictions a lot more validity by sticking G4 processors in it's consumer iBook line yesterday.

However, it should be remembered that Apple was selling iBooks and PowerBooks both with a G3 processor starting shortly after the G4 Tower was unveiled, and for the next year before the Titanium PBook showed up on the scene.