Motorola T720 and iSync support

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by meta-ghost, Dec 23, 2002.

1. meta-ghost macrumors regular

Barring Apple surprising everyone on Jan. 7th with a phone, I'm looking into buying a Motorola T720. It's not on any list of supported iSync phones. What are the chances of it being supported anytime soon?

2. saabmp3 macrumors 6502a

DO NO BUY THAT PHONE. I am serious here. The battery life on that phone is about 45 minutes of talk time. I don't care what the specs say, that is the real spec. You do not want to have that phone for 2 years.

BEN

3. Juventuz macrumors 6502a

Juventuz

I have the T720 and it's not a bad phone, my battery has a talk time that lasts FAR more than 45 minutes.

I've had my phone on for over 48 hours and have talked over an hour and a half within the past 2 or so days and the battery is still at almost full strength.

I just wish we could use iSync with it.

4. D0ct0rteeth macrumors 65816

D0ct0rteeth

I was looking a the same phone and as far as I know the phone is CDMA not GSM.

That prevents iSync...

I could be all wrong but I believe it is a no go.

I requested more info from the iSync page but received no response.

Let us know if you hear anything.. but i doubt it.

-Doc

5. meta-ghost thread starter macrumors regular

The Motorola T720 is GSM/GPRS 850/1900 (North America) Frequencies. The specs say "Up to 210 to 390 minutes" of Talk Time. I like this phone because of the user interface. It performs the basic functions of the Palm (what I need at least) and it does it slicker than any other non-pen input phone I've seen. But if I can't iSync.... I'll probably rule it out.

6. D0ct0rteeth macrumors 65816

D0ct0rteeth

Motorola T720 is CDMA (and has terrible battery life)

The T720i is GSM and is a better all around phone. The voice activated dialing is cool but another strike is it also has no bluetooth ability.

That is the Timeport™ 270c

ahh.. the chaos. :)

-Doc

7. meta-ghost thread starter macrumors regular

OK, here is something that looks damn interesting. A yet to be released Sony/Ericsson P800. Bluetooth, GSM, will sync with Mac and is loaded with features. The only issue is ...how much and when?
    http://www.sonyericsson.com/us/spg.jsp?page=start
    Search for P800

8. ftaok macrumors 601

ftaok

meta,

Where in that PR does it say that it'll sync with a Mac? I musta missed it.

9. meta-ghost thread starter macrumors regular

10. cubist macrumors 68020

There was a Brit in AppleInsider with a P800...

... who posted pictures of it and FROM it. I think he couldn't get iSync to talk to the phone; he used Bluetooth File Transfer to transfer the photos and contacts (as vcards). Bigger than the T68i, but IMHO that's an advantage. He was unable to use the phone as a modem. He expects the next version of iSync to work with it; he is very happy with it.

11. zarathustra macrumors 6502a

zarathustra

GSM vs. CDMA has nothing to do with isync. It all depends whether the phone supports SyncML. most of the Ericsson(sony) phones do.

i just got the T68i, and I love it. It has my contacts+calendar on it and syncs via Bluetooth in iSync. I have trouble making it work as a bluetooth modem though - i think it's T-Mobile's fault though. It gives me an error: no carrier detected.

12. meta-ghost thread starter macrumors regular

P800 soon to be released

Got this response from Sony/Ericsson on the P800:

Dear Customer,

Thank you for contacting Sony Ericsson Online Support.
    Your message has reached our Contact Center and we would like to apologize for any delays in responding to your message.

We apologize for any inconvenience. The P800 has been released in Hong Kong and the U.K. however, it has not been released here in the U.S. as of yet. The P800 is due to be released by the end of this year or the beginning of 2003. Unfortunately, at this time, we do not have an exact date nor do we have confirmation as to which service provider will promote the model. Please continue to check our website for updated information. If you have any additional questions, please feel free to contact the Sony Ericsson Contact Center at 1-800-374-2776 ; press 1 for English then 1 for Customer Service and Technical Support to speak with one of our representatives directly.

Best regards,

Sony Ericsson Online Support

Sony Ericsson Mobile

13. jaykk macrumors 6502a

Does any of the PCMACIA card work with Mac

Did any one try PCMCIA Card with Powerbook to sync with Sony EricssonT68i? I am tired of the USB adapter at the back, i would rather prefer a PC Card going on the side..i found this somewhat-better looking pc card.. is it worth the try?

Compusa - Belkin Bluetooth PC Card

14. zarathustra macrumors 6502a

zarathustra

Re: Does any of the PCMACIA card work with Mac

I have not tried the PCMCIA card, but people at XLR8yourmac have been successful in using generic USB bluetooth adapters (TDK, D-Link, Matsu****a, etc.) Maybe, the PCMCIA will work - you should buy one save the receipt - if it works keep it otherwise back to the store it goes!