Motorola T720

Discussion in 'Community' started by MacAztec, Jun 13, 2003.

1. MacAztec macrumors 68040

MacAztec

I am looking into the T720, as I can get it for free with a 1 year plan with cingular. Is this a good phone? It looks great. I know it doesnt have bluetooth, but that is ok. The Sony Erricson T68i is 50 dollars (instead of 0), but it has a smaller screen and looks cheaper. What do you guys think?

2. pEZ macrumors 6502

The T720 is a great phone if you remember to turn it off when you don't need it - it's a complete and total battery hog. If the signal is bad, then the phone will continuously look for a better signal, and the battery just drains. Plus if you use it a lot, the battery is gone, too.

Unless you desparately need a color screen, go with a phone without it. Better battery life. I'd recommend the V70i by Motorola, and it syncs with iSync if you get the USB cable for it.

3. ibookin' macrumors 65816

ibookin'

Why are you going with Cingular in the first place? Go with a CDMA provider like Verizon or Sprint. In my experience, the calls are much clearer and there is service in more areas than with GSM providers like Cingular or T-Mobile. Sprint even has unlimited wireless web that doesn't use your minutes for $15 a month (PCS Vision).

I have seen the T720, and my big problem with it is that it feels like crap to the touch. The plastic feels flimsy and cheap, and my friends developed a squeak within weeks of him buying it. Otherwise, it is an OK phone. Definitely get the extended battery if you're going to be doing a lot of talking.

4. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

I dont like Cingular. I seem to get bad reception all the time, and there seems to be better deals with other, better companies.

[​IMG]

5. ibookin' macrumors 65816

ibookin'

As I posted before, Cingular is not known for high-quality service. Going with crappy service just to get a few more anytime minutes is not worth it. :rolleyes:

I have Verizon and the service is great. My phone never drops calls, pretty much always has service, no static, etc.

Verizon has some deals right now, I suggest you check them out.

http://www.verizonwireless.com

Also check out Sprint:

http://www.sprintpcs.com

And maybe AT&T. Their TDMA network is pretty built up in the U.S.

http://www.attws.com

6. Huked on Fonick macrumors 6502

sounds liked ur network options arnt set right, if u set it to type automatic and speed continuous under network setup ur battery will last alot longer....I have this phone from Tmobile and its been great, Battery last like 5 days and where i live i get better service that the verizon and sprint people do.. it just depends what better in ur area verizon and sprint isent nessersarly better than GSM infact most of the world thinks its not and......

I dont like the look of the regular T720 espessly the CDMA verson with its big antena and i dont like the silver face plate, but its an awsome phone, might i suggest gettting a 5 dollar faceplace for it....

Menus area tad slow sometimes, but its not that bad.......

Have u looked into like Sprint or Tmobile over Cingular there alot cheeper and both have better service.......

Ibooken i have never had a droped call, like i said i get better service than the verizon people do where i live (both at my parents and at school i know because i have checked and been able to make calls when they cant) It all depends on where you live..

7. jethroted macrumors 6502a

jethroted

Totally off topic here, but ibookin', from your tar you kind of look like Frank Grimes. I don't know what it is, but I would probably be wrong if we saw your whole face. Kinda funny though. (the similarity, not your face) ;)

8. MacFan25 macrumors 68000

MacFan25

My friend has the T720 and it seems pretty nice. He got some kind of rebate when he bought the phone, so it was a good deal.

As for Cingular, I've had no problems whatsoever with it. I've never had a dropped call or anything like that. I think it all just depends where you live.

9. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

i love my t720, despite some of the bad press it's gotten. A lot of people complain about battery life, but for me the battery can support two full days of many short phone calls (maybe an hour or two of talk time each day)... tho i do suggest charging it daily... i just cannot imagine what you would need to do (conversations in excess of several hours) to drain one of them in a day's time. Plus, i have the slim battery, so you could always get the bigger one. As for signal, I can talk on it in my building's elevators, which almost everyone is amazed by-- most other phones drop calls like mad.

plus, it looks really nice... i think it's the most "apple" looking, which is why i was originally drawn to it... My only complaint at all (besides verizon) is that the external display cracked one day, i was not doing anything particularly straining on it... i must have bumped it or something... so i have to buy a new display entirely, which is almost a hundred bucks (i'm on a prepay plan so i get **** for customer support)...

and of course it now works with isync... tho i haven't yet bought the cable to make that happen, it's still cool :)

pnw