motorola v551

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by mRedly, Jun 17, 2005.

1. mRedly macrumors newbie

I have a motorola v551 cell phone. I am wondering if/when I purchase my iBook with bluetooth, will I be able to sync my moto phone with it? Will I need to buy/download additional software, or is there something available already on the iBook?

Thanks very much.

2. plumers macrumors member

I used a regular USB data cable and it works just fine with iSync, I will try my bluetooth soon (I just got it on the mail today) and will let you know if it works.

3. joshysquashy macrumors 6502a

4. dotdotdot macrumors 68020

Do a search for it here, on THESE forums.

Some people posted workarounds and edits in iSync to make it work - Motorola phones don't always act the way they should with Bluetooth (except the RAZR V3 - that phone has amazing bluetooth) and don't work on Windows without hacking the phone, but on a Mac you just change something in iSync.

5. Kerry Sanders macrumors regular

Kerry Sanders

Has anyone been able to get the Cingular clad Razr V3 to sync via Bluetooth with Tiger and iSync? I got my Razr last night, but iSync does not recognize it via Bluetooth. It does see it via USB, however.

I did not know if there was a hack that could be done to make it work via Bluetooth.

6. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

I sync my V551 over bluetooth with iSync all the time with no problems, didnt have to do anything special to get it working. Others haven't had luck though

7. PaRaGoNViCtiM macrumors 6502a

I have a 15' Powerbook 1.5Ghz, and a Motorola V551. My phone connected thru Bluetooth instantly. No cables or cords. Worked great for me.

8. jeffgtr macrumors regular

With the new isync update I can now sync my V551 using bluetooth with no problem, I CANNOT however browse the device via bluetooth, when I do the audio, image, and video folders from the phone appear but I cannot open them, I get the error message "failed" or something like that. I can however send my pictures from the phone to the mac by using the menu on the phone to "move" the image, but I must do it one at a time and it's a pain. Someone told me the reason for this is because my wireless company is Cingular, you'd think they'd make it work flawlessly with the mac in light of the pending Cingular / ITunes deal.

9. paleck macrumors 6502a

paleck

Cingular is not the smartest of companies!!! :mad:

10. PBGPowerbook macrumors regular

wtf does that mean? If any phones have "amazing" BT it's ericssons. -on cingular too, i might add, for the poster above me

11. jeffgtr macrumors regular

The someone that told me it was probably a cingular issue that causes the inability to browse the device via bluetooth was an employee at the cingular store. In fact they tried to call Motorola to see if there was a firmware update for the V551, the tech at Motorola claimed that since it's a Cingular phone its a Cingular issue not a Motorola one. Who knows what to believe. Actually I my confidence level in the Cingular person and Motorola person are equally low.

12. thrillz3 macrumors member

13. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Cant be a Cingular issue if me and several others who have a V551 through cingular have absolutley no problems with it whatsoever. Must be a firmware bug on a certain version of the phone

14. ToddW macrumors 6502a

didn't work with panther for me, but is golden with tiger. I just had to delete the pair and add a new one. iSync works like a charm.

15. The Black Rock macrumors regular

Here's an odd thing; I have tried to connect 3 v551s by Bluetooth to my iMac G5 for file transfer, but only 2 of them work. What reason would there be that the third will not allow the device to be browsed?

All phones are discovered/paired and their names are given accurately, but that last phone just can't be browsed.