Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

QuestionGuy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 16, 2006
I have a powerbook G4 1.67 ghz (purchased late June '05). I just got a motorolla razr yesterday (box reads Model Razr V3 Black GSM). The powerbook can't seem to recognize the phone (bluetooth). Upon making the phone discoverable, and having the computer search for mobile phone devices, the search returns nothing.

I'm hoping I'm doing something stupid and the phone is compatible.

If anyone can help me out, I'd appreciate it, thanks. :confused:

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Looking for little things first...

What version of OS X are you using? Is it up to date?

Is your bluetooth radio on the Mac turned on?

In what country do you live, and was your RAZR bought from a cell service provider (e.g. T-Mobile, Verizon, Cingular, Orange, etc)?

(FWIW I have an iBook G4/800, 10.4.7 all current, and a Magenta RAZR from T-Mo, and no issues).

QuestionGuy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 16, 2006
I'm using os x 10.4.7

I assume my bluetooth radio is "on". I don't think there's anything I have to physically plug into the powerbook is there? In the top right hand corner of my screen to the left of spotlight I have the bluetooth logo and when I click it, it says "on" and discoverable is checked.

I live in the USA, cellphone from cingular

Razr is black.

SC68Cal

macrumors 68000
Feb 23, 2006
The RAZR bluetooth turned off? press the bottom direction key, select setup, and turn the bluetooth on, then select "Find Me"

ironic23

macrumors 6502
Feb 8, 2006
Make sure your Razr is discoverable (Find Me) before trying to pair them. I tend to just turn it on without having it in discoverable mode.

QuestionGuy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 16, 2006
weird, so after typing that response i tried sitting my phone next to my fingerpad on my laptop like nickelback suggested and it found my phone. Weird...

What's the recommended way to transfer .mp3 clips I made so I can set them up as ringtones?

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
I just use Send File from the Bluetooth menu...well, actually, I made an Automator action that I placed as a Finder plugin so I can right-click on a file and send it. :D When the phone gets it, it just asks where I want to put it, and if I store it, it is available as a ringtone...

SC68Cal

macrumors 68000
Feb 23, 2006
aquanutz said:
You should head over to howard forums and flash that bad puppy right quick. :D

I have terrible luck with firmware flashing. I bricked a router that was working perfectly, and resulted in two replacement routers that have worked like ****. I don't need to brick my phone.

I nearly **** a brick just turning off EVDO on the bugger. I couldn't get out of the debug menu for like an hour!

Jschultz

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2005
Chicago, IL
How do I find my passkey again? I'n trying to send my contacts from address book over to my phone, but it's asking for my passkey.

kyleaa

macrumors regular
Jun 20, 2006
SC68Cal said:
I have terrible luck with firmware flashing. I bricked a router that was working perfectly, and resulted in two replacement routers that have worked like ****. I don't need to brick my phone.

I nearly **** a brick just turning off EVDO on the bugger. I couldn't get out of the debug menu for like an hour!

I flashed my verizon razr, it was insanely easy and it didnt even erase anything, which surprised me. Just flash to 02 and then to 04. You need a windows comp to do it (bootcamp works fine). PM me if you want to look into it, though it sounds like you dont want to

nickelbackmac

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2006
Jonesboro, Arkansas USA
Jschultz said:
How do I find my passkey again? I'n trying to send my contacts from address book over to my phone, but it's asking for my passkey.

Type in your phone # with area code first. Then, once the phone asks you for it, type it on your phone, and it should say "Pin Verified & Saved" or something similar. I have a PC I connect with and a black RAZR but it might be diff. for you.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
nickelbackmac said:
Type in your phone # with area code first. Then, once the phone asks you for it, type it on your phone, and it should say "Pin Verified & Saved" or something similar. I have a PC I connect with and a black RAZR but it might be diff. for you.

That is interesting... BT passcodes are usually four characters long.

Jschultz, have you *paired* your phone yet?

munckee

macrumors 65816
Oct 27, 2005
kyleaa said:
I flashed my verizon razr, it was insanely easy and it didnt even erase anything, which surprised me. Just flash to 02 and then to 04. You need a windows comp to do it (bootcamp works fine). PM me if you want to look into it, though it sounds like you dont want to

Could you expand on how you did this, or point me to a site that offers more info?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.