Motorstorm Multiplayer PlayTest

Discussion in 'Games' started by MRU, Feb 16, 2007.

1. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

http://uk.ps3.ign.com/articles/765/765336p1.html?RSSwhen2007-02-15_174800&RSSid=765336

I guess that's what you get when you try to chuck in multiplayer in just a couple of months development time. With only a couple weeks before launch, this could be bad news for online hopes. :eek:

2. darkwing macrumors 65816

I believe the Japanese version doesn't have online play. Ask Ed. So yeah, but I don't think that it should be too hard to get the bugs worked out. It's a racing game after all. For the most part you shouldn't notice much lag from other players as you're concentrating on you.

3. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

i would be so choked if the multiplayer sucks....

4. MRU thread starter macrumors demi-god

MRU

Err that was my point. The online section has been crammed into the USA & Euro versions after the Jap version, which only came out a few weeks ago.

Also the lag was from the NTSC USA version being tested on a Wired LAN - not even over the internet.

With only a couple more days (mabe a week) left development time, as it will have to go to manufacturer, well VERY shortly in order to meet it's release date of March 6th - that doesnt give them very much time to playtest and get it sorted.

We should be worried.

5. zelmo macrumors 603

zelmo

This is quite worrying. Multiplayer Motorstorm is a killer app for Sony's online venture. It has to be great.
    I'm not much good at FPS, and it gets old getting constantly fragged online by 8 year old kids who practive 8 hours a day. A slick arcade style racer is my cup of online tea. May have to stick with NFS Carbon.
    Heck, I'll probably buy the game anyway. The demo is too much fun even in single player.

6. Coded-Dude macrumors 6502a

Coded-Dude

kotaku : Motorstorm Online Impressions

Honestly there haven't been many(if any) good PS3 reviews from ign.......
    go figure :rolleyes:

This game is going to be a killer app.

7. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

Of course take the sight thats says the good stuff...:rolleyes:

But ya I think the online will be fine, as IGN was really just saying local multiplay is having trouble, and Kotaku is saying online play it good.

8. MRU thread starter macrumors demi-god

MRU

mmm :confused:

now obviously both kotaku and ign were at the same playtest

(kotaku should not have called it online as it was a obviously a wired local lan) but both have contrary opinions.

That fact that kotaku do not seem to know when somthing is online or via a LAN is worrying, and therefore their opinions is obviously shrowded in a bit of ignorance...

The fact that kotaku says voice chat was

Also kind of backs up IGN's impression more so than their assertion of it being smooth.

We will see I guess in a couple of weeks time.

9. Coded-Dude macrumors 6502a

Coded-Dude

hahahahahahah thats quite funny.....ACtually I posted that article because kotaku doesn't generally have good things to say either
    But somehow they LOVED motorstorm.....:p

10. zelmo macrumors 603

zelmo

11. MRU thread starter macrumors demi-god

MRU

They are slightly biased ;)

I'll wait till Edge™ and GAME™ to see what they have to say as I find them generally the most balanced of all the magazines on the market. :)

12. Coded-Dude macrumors 6502a

Coded-Dude

Eurogamer - 1/5/2007 - 8 out of 10 - 80.0%
    Computer & Video Games UK - 12/22/2006 - 8 out of 10 - 80.0%
    gamesTM - 2/1/2007 - 8 out of 10 - 80.0%
    GameBrink - 12/21/2006 - 90 out of 100 - 90.0%
    Play UK - 3/1/2007 - 82 out of 100 - 82.0%
    Games Master UK - 2/1/2007 - 82 out of 100 - 82.0%
    Play Magazine - 2/1/2007 - 9.5 out of 10 - 95.0%
    PSM3 Magazine UK - 1/1/2007 - 88 out of 100 - 88.0%
    gamer rankings

13. MRU thread starter macrumors demi-god

MRU

They seem like more realistic results. I dont believe ANY game should get a 10 or 100%

The Games™ 8/10 score you post above was actually a review of the Japanese game. So I assume they will give the American / Euro release a 9 because of online multiplayer.

14. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

^Indeed. Lets hope they get this worked out before it ships because if the online play is messed up then we'll never hear the end of this on the boards from people.....heres to a good online experience.

Motorstorm is a big one for Sony so I don't think they want to mess this up...although the single player game still sounds to be top notch.

Bless

15. zelmo macrumors 603

zelmo

Hmmm. I've actually found them to treat all consoles fairly. Maybe it's because I tend to like the games Dave Halverson likes. Or maybe I just haven't noticed the bias?:confused: :)

Oh, and I have to agree with you. I've yet to play a game I thought was perfect.

16. darkwing macrumors 65816

Tales of Symphonia
    Tales of Phantasia
    Tales of Eternia

17. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

Psh.

18. zelmo macrumors 603

zelmo

Are those RPGs? eh...not my genre. I'd probably give the greatest RPG evar a lowly 2.5, but only if the soundtrack was kickin'.

19. crouchy macrumors newbie

Ignore those ratings. There mostly from the rushed out Japanese version. The games far better now plus with online play. I'v had a go with the European launch title and it is very very good. Wouldnt surprise me if it got 10/10 in magazines.