Mount Gmail box

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Hoef, Aug 30, 2004.

1. Hoef macrumors 6502a

Hoef

2. kgarner macrumors 68000

kgarner

Saw this earlier today. I hope someone here with more Linux experience than I can give us some pointers on getting this running on OS X. I think that as long as those tools are available (FUSE, gmaillib) then it should be pretty much as described on the website. The idea is very slick.

3. crees! macrumors 68000

crees!

Well couldn't it work on OS X being Unix-based?

4. cb911 macrumors 601

cb911

i just saw this as well, very interesting. :)

well if someone finds out how to get this working in OS X, do let us know.

BTW, i'd try something except i'm away from my PB ATM.

5. federalists macrumors member

i doubt it's as simple as trying to run it on mac. filesystems have to interact with the kernal a great deal and the monolithic linux kernel is completely different than the mach microkernel. i'm guessing it will be awhile before this is available...

but, does anyone know of a mail.app plugin for gmail? i just got an account, but i don't really care about the archiving. i just want the space.

6. michaelrjohnson macrumors 68020

Just curious if any progress has been made on this front?

7. cb911 macrumors 601

cb911

here's some info:
    so - i think that clearly explains what has to be done to get this working on OS X? so anyone keen to get GMailFS working on OS X? ;) :D

8. Bear macrumors G3

Why?

Why?

Why bother?

Do you trust the privacy of data stored at GMail?

Why? Why? Why?

9. stoid macrumors 601

stoid

Privacy concerns me not. If I want private portable data storage, I'll use my keychain drive, but it's still nice to be able to have a large online storage of a fast server. Especially because you could technically put a website there, and just give the end user a free password, or store files there to transfer to friends.

If mounting the filesystem would get rid of the 10MB limit, then it could be really handy for transferring very large file to friends.

10. Daveway macrumors 68040

Daveway

11. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

I agree. Most of the stuff I put there I wouldn't care about. But to transfer a large file or something to a friend, or even just to have.

Lets find out! :D

12. minton macrumors member

I posted my own gmail backup script to macosxhints, and it works well. I think the file size limit is roughly 20mb - a more complicated script (I think gmailfs does this) would break all the files into groups of roughly 20mb. Someone posted a reply to make it such that you could drag files onto the applescript and they would be sent to your gmail account. If you want to backup a few directories, just type
    Code:
    tar -czf ~/Desktop/backupfile.tgz   /path/to/folder1 /path/to/folder2 /path/to/folderN
    and send the file to your gmail account as an attachment. Of course you can also encrypt it, which would take care of the privacy concerns.

13. John Jacob macrumors 6502a

John Jacob

You don't need no plugin! GMail has POP3, so you can use it straightaway with Mail.app.

See this linky to enable POP3 for your account, and this linky to configure GMail for Mail.app.

Hope that helps!

14. AmigoMac macrumors 68020

AmigoMac

by the time he asked, - Look date - :eek: Gmail was almost unknown for the world...

15. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

Whoa! Didn't see that date!

But it would be really cool to have a 2 GB "portable" hard drive....

16. Daveway macrumors 68040

Daveway

bump

Has anyone had any success in finding/making an app for this? C'mon, (Ballmer) developers, developers, developers YEAH. :D

EDIT: Hey guys, I found something close to it. It's script based but works great for me. Drag-n-Drop, sort of. I've attached it.

Attached Files:

17. cb911 macrumors 601

cb911

excellent!! :D thanks for that Daveway. haven't tried it out yet - will as soon as Tiger arrives and i re-install OS X. hope Tiggy doesn't break it. :eek:

18. Hoef thread starter macrumors 6502a

Hoef

Thanks for pursuing this .... I posted the question 8 months ago and suddenly there is a solutions! MR is awesome!