Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nuckinfutz

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2002
Middle Earth
I kind of agree with the OP in a way; the API for iCloud is already in Lion, so what Mountain Lion so far seems to add is better integration for Apple's apps, not really an OS level change. That may well not be entirely the case, but iCloud doesn't seem a strong enough incentive to replace the OS version when Lion's iCloud integration doesn't really seem any worse.

Notes and Reminders are definitely not OS-level features and I agree with the OP completely on this one; they're just apps, pushing them as a Mountain Lion feature does more to highlight how badly implemented they are at the moment. There's no reason why Lion users couldn't benefit from those apps.
Likewise, Messages is just a weak update to iChat. While iMessage support is nice, it's still a pretty poor IM client compared to much easier to use apps like Adium.

Share Sheets are a bit of a weak one too; as it's something a third party developer could just as easily create as a library for app-makers to include (or have their apps look for). If anything I'd rather have less social networking integration in my apps, but maybe that's just me.

Gate Keeper however I disagree with; I think it's a much more important feature than it seems at first glance. For one thing it's just deliciously simple, and yet in that simplicity suddenly your average user is no longer as likely to install apps from malicious sources or, more crucially, apps pretending to be genuine. While there's still a question as to how quickly Apple will revoke a malicious developer's signature, it's a far more elegant solution than built-in anti-virus (which requires a lot more work to maintain) or dynamic sandboxing etc.

Airplay Mirroring is a nice feature, though with Lion/Mountain Lion's still fundamentally broken multi-monitor support the shine kind of wears off pretty quick, plus it's not going to be of use to a huge number of people.

I do also agree with those waiting with baited breath for WWDC, as I've always been more interested in an OSes behind-the-scenes features, which we haven't heard a great deal about yet, so I'm still hopeful that Mountain Lion will have something of real interest to me. Currently the only feature I'm looking forward to is GUI support for multiple time machine targets, but when a simple script can do that on Lion I'm not too sure about upgrading just for that :)

1. If you ask some developers about iCloud they'll tell you that there's not enough documentation and that some features don't work as easily as they expected. Proof positive about this is Apple's own apps which don't use documents in the cloud for the OS X versions. That should be a hint for us all that Lion's iCloud is subpar.

2. Notes in Lion still uses IMAP for syncing and doesn't support photos. Reminders is poorly crammed into iCal and uses CalDav for sync. Apple never claimed these features were revolutionary but they highlight the easy sync capabilities via iCloud. The statement "There's no reason why Lion couldn't benefit from those apps" is confusion on your part. Lion does have Reminders and Notes but they're shoehorned into awkward places and are skimpy on features. Apple cannot change mid stream in Lion and suddenly change the UI and how these apps sync.

3. Why would I want a 3rd party to do Share Sheets? What would be the value in that? Share Sheets are everywhere. In Quick Look, in the Browser and available to all OS X developers. There's no 3rd party vendor that give give developers that scope.

4. Air Play mirroring - You're wrong on the usage. Lot's of people are going to use Air Play mirroring. If I'm a presenter all I need is a TV/Projector, A wireless network an Apple TV to stream my presentation right to the screen. Me personally I wouldn't have to worry about HDMI adapters for my MBA (which works flakey with audio) to stream video content to my TV that doesn't support Air Play a la Amazon Prime streaming. Air Play on the Mac is going to be a big deal and will sell a lot of Apple TV.

I'm upgrading for

iCloud for finally cloud enabling my documents
Notification Center
Better Video support via AV Foundation
Better behaving apps via ARC
Game Center

And the bunches of little things that will make computing better.

There are really no glaring features that are missing (except for maybe iSCSI support for networking geeks). A new file system would be nice but not yet a pressing need like it will be in a few years. I think multi monitor support will not likely improve much but what we'll see is larger displays with extremely high resolution (4k)

NJRonbo

macrumors 68040
Jan 10, 2007
Apple is shifting to a new world where we all pay $30 every year. Yeah, it's gonna be different than it used to be. And that's a good thing.
While Microsoft still charges hundreds of dollars for their operating system every few years.

Yeah, like Apple's approach much better.

haravikk

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2005
1. If you ask some developers about iCloud they'll tell you that there's not enough documentation and that some features don't work as easily as they expected.
That's more of a case for documentation and refinements to be released for Lion, not for iCloud to be fixed in Mountain Lion, leaving Lion stuck with a subpar implementation of a supposedly integrated feature. It means app developers that want to support iCloud either have to keep using the broken Lion implementation, or migrate to Mountain Lion (too early for that). It's not a good way to fix an existing feature.

The statement "There's no reason why Lion couldn't benefit from those apps" is confusion on your part.
Not so; I'm simply agreeing with the OP that Notes, Reminders and iMessages are apps, not really OS features. They could just as easily be distributed through the Mac App Store; that's not to say I'd want them to be, but rather that they simply aren't OS features as you could just as easily release them for Lion instead of requiring an OS update.

3. Why would I want a 3rd party to do Share Sheets? What would be the value in that? Share Sheets are everywhere. In Quick Look, in the Browser and available to all OS X developers. There's no 3rd party vendor that give give developers that scope.
You're missing the point, the point is that it's a very weak feature as a reason for an OS upgrade, which is the point of the thread after all. Sure, it makes adding twitter buttons etc. a bit easier, but it's not really a feature that would encourage someone to upgrade; plenty of people might use it once it's there, but I don't know anyone that is any more or less compelled to upgrade to Mountain Lion just so they can get even less work done than ever by tweating all the time from every app they have.
It's a minor thing to have at best, and something that is more the domain of a third-party library to solve. Obviously the fact that Apple refuses to use third-party libraries is going to mean that their own solution will be more integrated. But at least with a third-party library you can just choose not to install it.

A wireless network an Apple TV
Pretty big requirements in practise; wireless networks are still incredibly flaky, and the Apple TV is still a "hobby" device. It also still doesn't change the fact that the implementation is fundamentally poor thanks to Mountain Lion retaining Lion's poor multi-monitor support. If Mountain Lion is a refinement release then that should have been #1 on the list to fix along with Mission Control, both of which are still far from refined, and as a result AirPlay support isn't going to be as easy or useful as a lot of people might like.

Better Video support via AV Foundation
Better behaving apps via ARC
AV Foundation and ARC are both available in Lion aren't they? They're not features of Mountain Lion, not unless there are as-yet-unannounced changes to these that I'm unaware of?

nuckinfutz

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2002
Middle Earth
I think in the end if Mountain Lion doesn't offer enough value for the money then one should hold out on their upgrade.

Apple never advertises every single feature and even some that are small and not worthy of mention in an add can add significant impact to someones workflow.

macrumors 603
Jan 8, 2009
Is it? after you're dropped after 1 year.

That and rushing out OS X updates on a yearly basis doesn't equate to good business. Example, Lion (arguably) has had the most complaints and bugs across differing Mac systems it's rather unsettling. Yes, most have in the past waited for a .2 or .3 update, yet the .4 update still has major bugs (graphic animation errors, SMB, Open GL core doesn't even have full support for 3.x/4).

It's one thing to release iOS updates, the iPhone and iPad have been out for only a few years and most have newer models (most upgraded to the 4S from their 3GS and many simply sell their old iPhones, like myself, unlocked to pay for the difference of a new one every year). It becomes more difficult to code for older systems, and apparently instead of working on functionality to support 64-bit hardware that is a few years old, Apple is dropping support (copout). There are many more variations of Mac systems to switch to a yearly update cycle. Lion is only on .4, and Mountain Lion is on DP3.2 with a scheduled summer release (and there have been longer times between Lion updates). Plus the integration of iOS features seems half arsed, many don't have or want a trackpad (I know a few personally who want to use their mouse).

Personally, Apple should slow down on OS X updates and iOS and OS X integration. I don't want my Mac Pro and iMac desktop to become a large iPad. Some on here, and it's been a few head strong members, deem this "unavoidable/necessary advancements in OS tech" and we should "stop complaining and get used to it". Hmmm, everyone has their opinion, however many professionals in graphic design, film editing, sound, etc who make a living from using Apple systems and hardware are quickly being shown the exit leaving us to wonder, what am I going to have to do for my career if this continues? Apple has enough money to focus on consumer AND professional markets, I do not want my desktop to become consumer oriented. I've used OS X for over a decade, switching now would cost me in hardware and software updates/changes (my current gen 12-Core 5,1 Mac Pro hasn't been updated in two years).

Can't Stop

macrumors 6502
Dec 22, 2011
That and rushing out OS X updates on a yearly basis doesn't equate to good business. Example, Lion (arguably) has had the most complaints and bugs across differing Mac systems it's rather unsettling. Yes, most have in the past waited for a .2 or .3 update, yet the .4 update still has major bugs (graphic animation errors, SMB, Open GL core doesn't even have full support for 3.x/4).

It's one thing to release iOS updates, the iPhone and iPad have been out for only a few years and most have newer models (most upgraded to the 4S from their 3GS and many simply sell their old iPhones, like myself, unlocked to pay for the difference of a new one every year). It becomes more difficult to code for older systems, and apparently instead of working on functionality to support 64-bit hardware that is a few years old, Apple is dropping support (copout). There are many more variations of Mac systems to switch to a yearly update cycle. Lion is only on .4, and Mountain Lion is on DP3.2 with a scheduled summer release (and there have been longer times between Lion updates). Plus the integration of iOS features seems half arsed, many don't have or want a trackpad (I know a few personally who want to use their mouse).

Personally, Apple should slow down on OS X updates and iOS and OS X integration. I don't want my Mac Pro and iMac desktop to become a large iPad. Some on here, and it's been a few head strong members, deem this "unavoidable/necessary advancements in OS tech" and we should "stop complaining and get used to it". Hmmm, everyone has their opinion, however many professionals in graphic design, film editing, sound, etc who make a living from using Apple systems and hardware are quickly being shown the exit leaving us to wonder, what am I going to have to do for my career if this continues? Apple has enough money to focus on consumer AND professional markets, I do not want my desktop to become consumer oriented. I've used OS X for over a decade, switching now would cost me in hardware and software updates/changes (my current gen 12-Core 5,1 Mac Pro hasn't been updated in two years).

Your rant has no grounds in real life.

nuckinfutz

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2002
Middle Earth

The very architecture of OS X lends itself to rapid evolution. There's a fine balance between driving developers crazy with huge amounts of change versus steadily easing them into change. I think a 12 month to 24 month cycle is ideal. Taking longer than that just makes for too large of a change IMO.

Apple's not going to slow down the integration and they shouldn't . iOS has a lot of room to grow and today people are buying an ecosystem not just a product so they're likely to have a Mac and then get an iOS device or vice versa. In the end the consumer wants their data accessible and in sync across these devices.

Professional and their needs is relevant but a niche. Everyday consumers swarm into Apple stores around the globe and inhale products. The size of the consumer market versus the Professional market is tantamount to Goliath vs David. If Apple Professional market disappeared overnight Apple would barely feel the loss. You're no longer the driver of the Apple ecosystem. Deal with it.

That being said Apple has done good things to support the more creative and right now we're just waiting for software applications to catch up. They didn't have to replace Quicktime with a new media foundation but they did.

I don't care how you say it but iCloud and iOS integration is paramount to Apple's future. Call it iOSification or whatever you want but the key is taking care of end user data across devices now and that's a huge challenge and a worthy one.

macrumors 603
Jan 8, 2009
If Apple Professional market disappeared overnight Apple would barely feel the loss. You're no longer the driver of the Apple ecosystem. Deal with it.

Thanks. I appreciate your very objective analysis. "Deal with it". I'll tell that to the many businesses that pump hundreds of thousands of dollars into Apple's hardware and software licenses/upgrades. They exist, this myth that it's a small, niche market is erroneous, who do you think drove Apple sales when Jobs evaluated Apple's product lines in 1997 by focusing on four segments: Consumer, Professional, Desktops, Notebooks.

That market, along with the iPod, drove Apple to begin R&D on future products. PowerMac's were affordable, and they had a great lineup of 3 different sized CCFL LCD's with the 30" being top notch. There is a huge demand from professionals and high end consumers for a mid-tower that allows for additional components and add-ons. As PowerMac's did not impact iMac sales (two very different market targets), it would become a MORE profitable segment (Apple has billions, and they wouldn't keep developing Pro-Apps and Mac Pro's if there was no financial gain). iDevices and iOS is killing professional interest in Apple, even my friends at Cupertino who use Mac Pro's (one working in Pro-Apps) are frustrated by this lack of focus, and that's stating a lot.

So while you may not benefit from such, there are many who would. :)

(down-voting, it's passive aggressive and unproductive. Up-vote comments that are beneficial, down-voting simply results in inflaming those who may have helpful comments just because you may not agree, which can be expressed in a civil, respectful response. Arn has been considering simply allowing comments to be up voted only, which I believe would be hugely beneficial who helping others and lessening arguments that are increasing on MacRumors :) )

haravikk

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2005
If Apple Professional market disappeared overnight Apple would barely feel the loss
It's going to be hard to sell people on the idea of the App Store if no-one can use their Macs to make apps :)

To support developers Apple pretty much has to support other professional nichés at the same time since they all need good performance, reliability, and crucially, access to something other than a trackpad :)

dyn

macrumors 68030
Aug 8, 2009
.nl
Thanks. I appreciate your very objective analysis. "Deal with it". I'll tell that to the many businesses that pump hundreds of thousands of dollars into Apple's hardware and software licenses/upgrades. They exist, this myth that it's a small, niche market is erroneous, who do you think drove Apple sales when Jobs evaluated Apple's product lines in 1997 by focusing on four segments: Consumer, Professional, Desktops, Notebooks.
Whatever worked in the past does not necessarily work in the future and vice versa! In the past they sold desktops like no tomorrow, today it is very hard to do that. In the past tablets did not sell well, it was a segment that nearly died out. Today tablets are hot and the main reason why laptops/desktop are sold less than before.

The other thing you don't seem to be getting is the point the person you are replying to is trying to make. Apple's audience has changed. They are selling quite a lot more consumer products than their professional products. Not very strange since a lot of companies buy something and stick for it for 3 to even 6 years. If a company sees that selling consumer products is more profitable it makes a lot of sense that they will be targeting that audience more than the other audiences.

We humans used to write things down on paper with a fountain pen. Penmanship was common back in the days. Now it is nearly extinct due to computers. We can't reverse that so we have no other option than to live with it whether we like it or not. Sometimes changes are inevitable and irreversible and we can do nothing about them. You can do 2 things: complain like there is tomorrow or move along (aka use it or switch to something else). I'm worried about the changes Apple is making as well as what my government is doing. The problem is that I as a person can do little to nothing about it. So yes, I have to deal with it and no I don't quite like that.

Arn has been considering simply allowing comments to be up voted only, which I believe would be hugely beneficial who helping others and lessening arguments that are increasing on MacRumors :) )
I think the voting system should be changed to something like that too. On the FreeBSD forums they use something like this, it is actually a "thank you" system where you can thank somebody for posting something valuable. Also allows for quickly going through topics looking for solutions to your problem!

gumblecosby

macrumors 6502
Jun 22, 2010

That market, along with the iPod, drove Apple to begin R&D on future products. PowerMac's were affordable, and they had a great lineup of 3 different sized CCFL LCD's with the 30" being top notch. There is a huge demand from professionals and high end consumers for a mid-tower that allows for additional components and add-ons. As PowerMac's did not impact iMac sales (two very different market targets), it would become a MORE profitable segment (Apple has billions, and they wouldn't keep developing Pro-Apps and Mac Pro's if there was no financial gain). iDevices and iOS is killing professional interest in Apple, even my friends at Cupertino who use Mac Pro's (one working in Pro-Apps) are frustrated by this lack of focus, and that's stating a lot.

So while you may not benefit from such, there are many who would. :)

(down-voting, it's passive aggressive and unproductive. Up-vote comments that are beneficial, down-voting simply results in inflaming those who may have helpful comments just because you may not agree, which can be expressed in a civil, respectful response. Arn has been considering simply allowing comments to be up voted only, which I believe would be hugely beneficial who helping others and lessening arguments that are increasing on MacRumors :) )

Hopefully that comment system comes in, though to be honest there is no real need for up-voting. Good comments will be verbally appreciated anyway.

Regarding your discussion about apples professional side, dont you feel it is impossible for Apple to abandon this market. After all, those ipad apps wont build themselves and a mac app store twitter app will hardly push technological advances in Mac OS X compared to a full on commercial program that eats all those cores for breakfast.

nuckinfutz

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2002
Middle Earth
Let it be known that I don't think Apple is abandoning that Pro market.

They've done good work in promoting OpenGL even if Lion isn't exactly the most stellar example.

I think AV Foundation is going to enable Final Cut Pro X to do things that former versions couldn't dream about and it will do it at pricing that is accessible for most.

The Mac Pro isn't dead. It should see its most significant form factor change in a half decade.

OS X development is alive and well and it only makes sense to intertwine OS X and iOS where it makes sense. Success for one doesn't mean the other loses despite the protestations of some.

slapple

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2008
If Mountain Lion includes the rumored resolution independence, then that by itself will be worth the upgrade. If not, then I might not upgrade.

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
If Mountain Lion includes the rumored resolution independence, then that by itself will be worth the upgrade. If not, then I might not upgrade.

It won't, they are doing HiDPI mode instead, which won't be useful unless you have a Retina Mac.

slapple

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2008
It won't, they are doing HiDPI mode instead, which won't be useful unless you have a Retina Mac.

One of the rumors recently said that they were going to have 3 sizes (small, big, and optimal) for the icons (and presumably fonts), so I'm hoping that means resolution independence.

macrumors 603
Jan 8, 2009
Let it be known that I don't think Apple is abandoning that Pro market.

They've done good work in promoting OpenGL even if Lion isn't exactly the most stellar example.

I think AV Foundation is going to enable Final Cut Pro X to do things that former versions couldn't dream about and it will do it at pricing that is accessible for most.

The Mac Pro isn't dead. It should see its most significant form factor change in a half decade.

OS X development is alive and well and it only makes sense to intertwine OS X and iOS where it makes sense. Success for one doesn't mean the other loses despite the protestations of some.

Agreed. I suppose I'm just disappointed as I make my living with intensive app's such as HD rendering in FCP7 and X (still getting used to X). I completely understand that Apple is going after the consumer market. The R&D for the iPad in 2004 lead to the commercial launch of the iPhone, a brilliant cross-platform move to give Windows OS users a taste of Apple's products. This lead to Joe-sumers, college students and fashionista's becoming the dominant Apple user. However, part of this is Apple's focus. Stating this is a "post-PC era" is ignorant, as desktop/power systems are in demand.

As I stated, I know Apple Cupertino employees who are frustrated by the lack of a reasonable tower and with Apple's neglect in the Mac Pro. Just because Apple is ignoring a segment doesn't mean it is a small niche or not profitable. Apple can/should focus on markets, as Steve did when he revamped their products. High end work isn't efficient on MacBook Pro's. I have a 12-Core current gen Mac Pro and a current gen 15" i5 MacBook Pro. Film editing on the MacBook Pro is awful, the time it takes is horrendous compared to my Mac Pro and time is money for clients/projects. It's a great system, but for heavy work notebooks and iPads just don't cut it.

I'm not disagreeing with you at all, Apple made their bank in focusing on the consumer market. The reason iPad's and MacBook's took off was two fold; iPad's aren't as expensive and suit the basic needs of many consumers needs and Apple marketing is genius. iMac's are great for consumers, however pro's are taking issue with its lack of upgradability. Only the RAM is user upgradable. I used to work behind the Genius Bar, around 2005-2007, just as the iPhone was released. Working on iMac's is a PITA, and then we mostly had PowerMac G5's and iMac's.

Also, working in IT/communication as a self proprietor, small-large businesses are moving away from iMacs. Why? Because if any part fails, the entire system needs to be benched for repairs, hindering workflow. If a tower part fails, a graphics card, HDD, just swap it out, and done. Also many editors, designer's, architects, photographers do not want the display's and prefer their own. This isn't an option for iMac's. You have to understand, there are a lot of people who use(d) PowerMac's. They were priced around $1500+ and allowed you to get one of the 3 CCFL ACD's for the same price as a base Mac Pro. When Apple switched to Intel, Xeon server processors added $1000 or more. Thus, it's either an iMac that is limiting in options and if it breaks, your work is screwed, or dishing out more for a tower. A mid-tower with a Core i7 processor with PCIe, USB, 2 internal HDD's priced around what PowerMac's cost has been a demand for many, and wouldn't eat into iMac sales (as the PowerMac's did not).

I understand the consumer market is huge, but that doesn't mean that professionals and power systems are dying. Far from it, they're dying for Apple and pushing others to now move to different systems. You can't make a positive correlation with Apple's market strategy by stating "desktops are done" just because one company has changed their focus. They drew more consumers in with iPhone's, iPad's and MacBook Pro's, and turned their backs on professionals. Heck, when Jobs bought Shake (a once GREAT pro-App) in 2004, he told a room full of professionals "Your input is no longer needed". That's enough right there to tell you where Jobs wanted to take Apple. Good for them. Doesn't mean the pro-market is all of a sudden dead because Apple claims it is. I'm tired of some people jumping to that conclusion.

So ten years of working with Apple systems, and I'm worried about where Apple is taking us (and there are a lot of us).

(and I only bad some sentences in bold to skim it as it's long, not to emphasize points, so don't take it like that, just wanted to make it easier to read my long *** post lol)

I think the voting system should be changed to something like that too. On the FreeBSD forums they use something like this, it is actually a "thank you" system where you can thank somebody for posting something valuable. Also allows for quickly going through topics looking for solutions to your problem!

Agreed, especially your last point :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
One of the rumors recently said that they were going to have 3 sizes (small, big, and optimal) for the icons (and presumably fonts), so I'm hoping that means resolution independence.

That doesn't have anything to do with resolution independence. The rumor, if true, will allow you to set three resolutions in Displays.

You can already turn HiDPI on in Lion, and there is evidence in ML that they are adding 2x icons.

It's pretty obvious at this point they are going the HiDPI route rather than resolution independence, and it fits in with what they've already been doing on iOS.

Aug 26, 2008
Agreed. I suppose I'm just disappointed as I make my living with intensive app's such as HD rendering in FCP7 and X (still getting used to X). I completely understand that Apple is going after the consumer market. The R&D for the iPad in 2004 lead to the commercial launch of the iPhone, a brilliant cross-platform move to give Windows OS users a taste of Apple's products. This lead to Joe-sumers, college students and fashionista's becoming the dominant Apple user. However, part of this is Apple's focus. Stating this is a "post-PC era" is ignorant, as desktop/power systems are in demand.

As I stated, I know Apple Cupertino employees who are frustrated by the lack of a reasonable tower and with Apple's neglect in the Mac Pro. Just because Apple is ignoring a segment doesn't mean it is a small niche or not profitable. Apple can/should focus on markets, as Steve did when he revamped their products. High end work isn't efficient on MacBook Pro's. I have a 12-Core current gen Mac Pro and a current gen 15" i5 MacBook Pro. Film editing on the MacBook Pro is awful, the time it takes is horrendous compared to my Mac Pro and time is money for clients/projects. It's a great system, but for heavy work notebooks and iPads just don't cut it.

I'm not disagreeing with you at all, Apple made their bank in focusing on the consumer market. The reason iPad's and MacBook's took off was two fold; iPad's aren't as expensive and suit the basic needs of many consumers needs and Apple marketing is genius. iMac's are great for consumers, however pro's are taking issue with its lack of upgradability. Only the RAM is user upgradable. I used to work behind the Genius Bar, around 2005-2007, just as the iPhone was released. Working on iMac's is a PITA, and then we mostly had PowerMac G5's and iMac's.

Also, working in IT/communication as a self proprietor, small-large businesses are moving away from iMacs. Why? Because if any part fails, the entire system needs to be benched for repairs, hindering workflow. If a tower part fails, a graphics card, HDD, just swap it out, and done. Also many editors, designer's, architects, photographers do not want the display's and prefer their own. This isn't an option for iMac's. You have to understand, there are a lot of people who use(d) PowerMac's. They were priced around $1500+ and allowed you to get one of the 3 CCFL ACD's for the same price as a base Mac Pro. When Apple switched to Intel, Xeon server processors added $1000 or more. Thus, it's either an iMac that is limiting in options and if it breaks, your work is screwed, or dishing out more for a tower. A mid-tower with a Core i7 processor with PCIe, USB, 2 internal HDD's priced around what PowerMac's cost has been a demand for many, and wouldn't eat into iMac sales (as the PowerMac's did not).

I understand the consumer market is huge, but that doesn't mean that professionals and power systems are dying. Far from it, they're dying for Apple and pushing others to now move to different systems. You can't make a positive correlation with Apple's market strategy by stating "desktops are done" just because one company has changed their focus. They drew more consumers in with iPhone's, iPad's and MacBook Pro's, and turned their backs on professionals. Heck, when Jobs bought Shake (a once GREAT pro-App) in 2004, he told a room full of professionals "Your input is no longer needed". That's enough right there to tell you where Jobs wanted to take Apple. Good for them. Doesn't mean the pro-market is all of a sudden dead because Apple claims it is. I'm tired of some people jumping to that conclusion.

So ten years of working with Apple systems, and I'm worried about where Apple is taking us (and there are a lot of us).

(and I only bad some sentences in bold to skim it as it's long, not to emphasize points, so don't take it like that, just wanted to make it easier to read my long *** post lol)

Agreed, especially your last point :)

Fantastic post. It is great to see there are other users that are big Apple fans, but also quite reasoned and level headed.

Can't Stop

macrumors 6502
Dec 22, 2011
Also, working in IT/communication as a self proprietor, small-large businesses are moving away from iMacs. Why? Because if any part fails, the entire system needs to be benched for repairs, hindering workflow. If a tower part fails, a graphics card, HDD, just swap it out, and done.

Or just get a replacement iMac, restore a backup and be done with it. It will take about the same time as replacing a bad HDD or graphics card. Depending on a card it might even cost more than that iMac.

Try looking both ways.

----------

Fantastic post. It is great to see there are other users that are big Apple fans, but also quite reasoned and level headed.

Nothing fantastic about it.

haravikk

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2005
Just wanted to clarify that I'm in much the same boat; I don't do movie editing though I do do some 3d as a hobby. However, my main interest is in programming as that's where I make my money, and being able to compile a huge project in a few minutes instead of an hour (or several hours) is a big deal for me, as if I didn't have my Mac Pro (early 2008 8-core for me) then I'd never get any iOS or Mac development done at all, as it's not something I can do on another platform, and none of the other Mac range are any good.

macrumors 603
Jan 8, 2009

QFT. He hit the nail on the head. If Apple doesn't update their Mac Pro and Pro-Apps enough, it's either a Hackint0sh or Windows (ugh). I get that their consumer products are a hit with every schmor's but seriously, flat out pushing us out the exit (and let's be clear here, Apple has been slowly doing so) is a slap in the face to us, the one's who supported Apple when they were down and out, and gave them the money to get into mobile devices with development. It's inexcusable, especially with their billions. Get it together (and while you're at it, make a stable OS X and slow it dooooown on the iOS stuff, I don't mind it but it's taking focus away from Open GL, a new Finder (which it desperately needs as HFS+ is wore thin), better displays like you used to have (they're meant for notebooks, we have to get extension cables just to reach our systems), and more work on PROFESSIONAL Apps, getting tired of Facebook (and please, I don't know one professional who uses Facebook with Aperture, not one).

=]

Krazy Bill

macrumors 68030
Dec 21, 2011
I'll tell that to the many businesses that pump hundreds of thousands of dollars into Apple's hardware and software licenses/upgrades. They exist, this myth that it's a small, niche market is erroneous,

What is mythical about a tiny 5-8% OSX overall market penetration? (depending on who you read). Most of which are consumers? In business, I travel the U.S. all the time. Other than the iPhone/iPad, very seldom do I see any evidence of any kind of Mac in the work place.

Apple is now a general consumer company providing great devices for kids, college students and soccer moms. Ironically, MS Office is the only thing that keeps Apple (and OSX specifically) on the fringe of usability in the corporate world.

Yamcha

macrumors 68000
Mar 6, 2008
I don't think It's supposed to be a significant upgrade, If I remember correctly Apple is looking to make annual Mac OSX updates.. If that is the case we'll probably only be seeing incremental updates..

Having said that though even If the features on Mountain Lion aren't that relevant to you I'd personally upgrade for the performance boost alone, and not to mention all choppy animations have been resolved as well..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.