Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

haravikk

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2005
very seldom do I see any evidence of any kind of Mac in the work place.
I dunno if they ever got far with big corporations, but they were doing pretty well in small business setups. But ditching the XServe makes running Mac networks for small business a strange choice; I mean, the "server" Mac Pro is perfectly capable, but it's far more wasteful than a proper server machine. Not that OS X Server has ever really give anyone a serious reason to use a Mac to run their network; it's pretty annoying to use, and also pretty shocking when Unix/Linux have better GUI options for server management :)

The fact is though that the more Apple ignore the more professional market, the less likely they are to ever get any further into them. If Apple were to innovate as much on business computing I'm sure they could carve out a bigger chunk of that sector. The lack of any real effort on OS X servers is a bit of an oversight, especially with business users increasingly having Apple's iOS or laptop products; I'm sure business would love to have more ways to manage and work with those devices.

Business users are after all consumers too. They might not have the same turnaround on devices as iPhone users that upgrade at a moment's notice, but they still have good turnaround on devices. I mean someone mention 3-6 years earlier, but then, how many consumers go out and buy new home computers at that pace? I know plenty of people still struggling along with machines at least that old.

I could understand Apple wanting to back out of a sector that isn't profitable, but desktop computers, including ones at a professional level, are far from unprofitable. Apple easily has the resources to keep the Mac Pro line up to date; if they actually made a better show at it then sales of them could be growing instead of declining amidst uncertainty as to whether Apple even cares anymore.

nuckinfutz

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2002
Middle Earth
QFT. He hit the nail on the head. If Apple doesn't update their Mac Pro and Pro-Apps enough, it's either a Hackint0sh or Windows (ugh). I get that their consumer products are a hit with every schmor's but seriously, flat out pushing us out the exit (and let's be clear here, Apple has been slowly doing so) is a slap in the face to us, the one's who supported Apple when they were down and out, and gave them the money to get into mobile devices with development. It's inexcusable, especially with their billions. Get it together (and while you're at it, make a stable OS X and slow it dooooown on the iOS stuff, I don't mind it but it's taking focus away from Open GL, a new Finder (which it desperately needs as HFS+ is wore thin),
=]

Dude you're sounding a bit like a ranting mad man. Enough with the melodramatic "We supported Apple when they were down and out" No. You gave Apple money and they gave you an Apple product. That wasn't a donation chief you got property from your money.

Next how in the world would iOS stuff have anything to do with slowing OS X down?

Lastly why would you assume the team that works on iCloud is the same team that works on OpenGL?

Folks ...please try to rant less and read more. It just may help you create more informative posts.

Krazy Bill

macrumors 68030
Dec 21, 2011
I could understand Apple wanting to back out of a sector that isn't profitable, but desktop computers, including ones at a professional level, are far from unprofitable.
If that's all a company did then I'd agree. But given that resources are limited (yes, even Apple's), you dedicate the bulk of those resources to the folks that butter your bread.

Not sure if the Mac Pro has any more life in it. No further development for this thing sure doesn't seem to bother Apple since their Server line went by the wayside.

It's all moot anyway as the writing is on the wall. The "mimicking" of iOS by Lion is a clear indicator of what OSX 11 will look and work like and it certainly won't have the interests of the business community at heart. Personally I love the engineering of Apple's hardware. I might just switch to a bootcamped Windows 8 machine one day if the Apple drivers are decent.

macrumors 603
Jan 8, 2009
Dude you're sounding a bit like a ranting mad man. Enough with the melodramatic "We supported Apple when they were down and out" No. You gave Apple money and they gave you an Apple product. That wasn't a donation chief you got property from your money.

Next how in the world would iOS stuff have anything to do with slowing OS X down?

Lastly why would you assume the team that works on iCloud is the same team that works on OpenGL?

Folks ...please try to rant less and read more. It just may help you create more informative posts.

That's a tad ironic given some of the posts from you ;)

(and I didn't take his post as a "melodramatic" rant)

nuckinfutz

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2002
Middle Earth
That's a tad ironic given some of the posts from you ;)

(and I didn't take his post as a "melodramatic" rant)

I'm a big boy who's not afraid to to mix it up ...or give credit to good arguments. But there's no way in hell you're going to find a post of mine where i'm off the target to the point of postulating that iOS features are slowing OS X down. That's asinine but could be forgiven but then we got this gem

I don't mind it but it's taking focus away from Open GL, a new Finder (which it desperately needs as HFS+ is wore thin)

No shiza sherlock. The whole point of an OS update is to usher in new features and bug fixes and API. OpenGL is so far removed from Cloud engineering you're generally not going to find engineers that do both. So there's no way that work on iCloud somehow prevents OpenGL from moving forward.

The problem with the MR forums is that very few informative and intelligent members stick around because they don't have time to fight with people that continuously have emotional outbursts in a forum. If a person relatively knows what they are talking about their argument is generally cogent.

Explain to me where the cogent argument is for iOS slowing down OS X and iCloud slowing down OpenGL. Please.

Aug 26, 2008
I'm a big boy who's not afraid to to mix it up ...or give credit to good arguments. But there's no way in hell you're going to find a post of mine where i'm off the target to the point of postulating that iOS features are slowing OS X down. That's asinine but could be forgiven but then we got this gem

No shiza sherlock. The whole point of an OS update is to usher in new features and bug fixes and API. OpenGL is so far removed from Cloud engineering you're generally not going to find engineers that do both. So there's no way that work on iCloud somehow prevents OpenGL from moving forward.

The problem with the MR forums is that very few informative and intelligent members stick around because they don't have time to fight with people that continuously have emotional outbursts in a forum. If a person relatively knows what they are talking about their argument is generally cogent.

Explain to me where the cogent argument is for iOS slowing down OS X and iCloud slowing down OpenGL. Please.

Actually this is exactly what happens. When the iPhone was first released, Leopard was delayed because they moved engineers from OSX to iOS. I think it's fairly well known that Apple doesn't create "teams" necessarily, but shuffles people around for whatever is currently suiting them. Of course that isn't STRICTLY true in that they have just one group moving around, but it's pretty well documented that OSX has been on the backburner for awhile because of iOS. In fact, I think it was stated in a recent book about the internals of Apple that people who work on OSX are seen as second rate in the company. What kind of way is that to treat people and a product? That might be changing with Jobs gone though, who knows.

As a side note, go look at the features Leopard added, now go compare those to what Mountain Lion is preparing to add. Then try and say where the focus of the company lies. :p

Last edited:

Can't Stop

macrumors 6502
Dec 22, 2011
Actually this is exactly what happens. When the iPhone was first released, Leopard was delayed because they moved engineers from OSX to iOS. I think it's fairly well known that Apple doesn't create "teams" necessarily, but shuffles people around for whatever is currently suiting them. Of course that isn't STRICTLY true in that they have just one group moving around, but it's pretty well documented that OSX has been on the backburner for awhile because of iOS. In fact, I think it was stated in a recent book about the internals of Apple that people who work on OSX are seen as second rate in the company. What kind of way is that to treat people and a product? That might be changing with Jobs gone though, who knows.

As a side note, go look at the features Leopard added, now go compare those to what Mountain Lion is preparing to add. Then try and say where the focus of the company lies. :p

Sometimes i wonder if there could be an idiot gene. Reading this stuff i start thinking that there just might be one.

macrumors 603
Jan 8, 2009

Exactly. Jobs was notorious for not hiring more engineers but moving them between departments which is exactly what happened with OS X 10.5. Having worked for Cupertino, I know what I speak of and I don't appreciate someone on this thread strong arming and insulting people as they do not agree with their opinion. It simply makes them appear immature.

As for iOS impeding OS X functionality, do you really want to go down that road? It's a shame that SunSystems dropped out as 10.5 beta's had ZFS implementation. In fact, I still have a few of them. I especially liked "Answering Machine" in iChat for Leopard, as it allowed users to leave a video away message and others to record one. That is an iOS-esque feature I could agree with in iMessage as most iDevices have FaceTime capabilities. Now, Open GL support is a joke with OS X, no question about it. Lion is riddled with bugs, in fact most of my ex-colleagues are frustrated by Apple managements lack of focus on polishing 10.7 before throwing out 10.8. My friend works in the Pro-Apps department as a design consultant for Final Cut Pro X for the past two years (she is a documentary film maker). Her team was frustrated as engineers fought film makers/editors/etc on most of their recommendations, upper Apple management barely over saw the engineers and much of Apple's money was/is being funneled into iOS departments. The Pro-Apps department has seen a steady drop in funding even BEFORE the iPhone was released, and well before Apple saw it's rise into iOS/mobile devices.

Further, Apple dropped their 3 well received CCFL LCD's for 1 stripped down LED LCD iMac panel, with cables too short for their Mac Pro. Apple's display's were a big profit segment for them as many pro's used them with their Mac's as they required little to no third party/Spyder calibrating, well made IPS panels unlike the notorious LED LCD banding and bleeding in their current displays. I have 2 24" LED LCD's, I went through five before getting displays that didn't have uneven color, brightness and bleeding issues and dead pixels. Thankfully the one's I have are great, but it is a shame Apple is pushing them as notebook displays, leaving many who used a 20", 23" or 30" display moving on to EIZO or such.

Back to the OS. iCloud integration, fantastic, I have always pushed .Mac/MobileMe (I've never experienced issues myself although I know many have) and I love that Apple is integrating it further. I do hope the rumors of a Keychain syncing and Documents revamp being more akin to iDisk are true; I was disappointed when Apple dropped some MobileMe features. Time will tell. I do like "AirDrop"'s usage of Ad-Hoc, finally and well done. SMB was fixed and improved, and I do like the dock.

I do not like "Mission Control" for reasons that have been discussed on MacRumors ad nauseam. I can appreciate its concept; an attempt to incorporate multi-tasking features into one, full featured system app. However, it was not well thought out. Spaces and Exposé in previous OS X variants was much more efficient, less memory/graphics intensive and had more options ("All Windows" Exposé is finally back by unchecking "Group windows by application"), but iOS Spaces is terrible. Having to move to each desktop, right clicking on an app - assuming it's in your Dock - then selecting the option for that app, and repeating for each desktop is ludicrous and cumbersome, it's rather amusing trying to teach it to the average consumer. Previously app's could be assigned to each desktop in "Spaces"system preferences. Before, I always knew what desktop I was in by the menubar indicator, and I didn't have to swipe between my 9+ desktops to find a Safari page, Mail app, Final Cut Pro and A.E. apps, I knew exactly where they were by assignment and menubar indicator. If a window is mistakenly moved to the wrong desktop, you didn't have to leave the Spaces "grid" to move it again, just grab it, move it, grab as many windows as you want and move them where ever, back and forth, without ever leaving. Novel, eh? Lion requires more keystrokes or moving to the desktop in order to move that window again as you can not grab it from one of the desktops at the top of "Mission Control" - wtf? Thankfully so many complained that Stephen Sykes developed "ReSpaceApp", now "TotalSpaces" and owned by BinaryAge, the company that makes "Total Finder". "TotalSpaces" is a great addition that fixes many "Mission Control" user interface issues. I do not like Contacts, it looks silly and out of line with the sleek OS X graphics - as does the Calendar app (but I do appreciate the dropping of "i" in the app's, sounds more professional).

Launchpad, I'll never use it. Stacks on dock, much better. "Time Machine" needs improvements. I am disappointed that iPhoto recovery was removed, and support for USB attached storage on Apple routers is lacking/sometimes doesn't work. "Back to my Mac" is useless unless you're, well, on another Mac, and iDevices have not been even been fully incorporated with it, if at all. USB 3.0 is FINALLY coming with Ivy Bridge (though I've had it in my Mac Pro with a CalDigit PCIe card for over a year), SATA II is dated, get on the boat with III/6G Apple! Lion's use of memory is awful, and ML isn't much better with memory management (and don't state if you have the RAM it should be used, as that's complete nonsense). Basic Apple app's (Safari, Calendar, iTunes) generally use 30-40% of my 16GB DDR3, when I open Final Cut Pro 10.0.4 it jumps a great deal. "Snow Leopard" was much, much better, which is why I still have it running on my second SSD. No TRIM support for third party SSD's, garbage collection could use better tweaking. I've also noticed, for the first time in a journaled structure, that disk fragmentation has increased with 10.7/8. Course it's not an issue with OS X, however it makes one wonder how files are being written/handled.

Multiple display support has been hindered with Apple's focus on single display systems in OS X 10.7/8; many would like to use Full Screen on each display as it maximizes desktop real estate, having one full screen app disengages the other display(s) completely. Not good, and maximizing the window isn't the same as full screen.

Oh, and iMac's, great design but bad for businesses/work. If any part on that system goes, it needs to be taken in and benched for service which is [on average] at least a week. A tower/Mac Pro, if a component fries swap it out; hard drive/graphics card/fan(s)/RAM DIMM/optical drive - just replace it. No work/time lost - oh, and you can add PCIe cards, replace the graphics card with a newer model, easily replace/upgrade RAM and HDD's - all impeccably designed and easy for even the average Joe. Having worked on iMac's, wow, brilliant design but a huge pain to remove the glass, LED panel, and any component that needs replacing. The logic board is buried under the power supply lines - everything connects to it above the board. It's a tight fit that requires a clean room and a lot of time and patience.

I could go on and on, but these points have been addressed. I do not mind iOS integration, but not at the expense of OS X stability/improvements and Pro hardware. As for someone claiming people don't respond but rather rant and then do not continue the discussion thus they're "ignorant", not only is that a personal insult to a complete stranger it's a completely false assumption of someone's knowledge based on a few short posts. I could go back and forth here but I've learned over the years it serves no other purpose other than to make some flex their OS X ego's by putting others down and refusing to acknowledge that they, them, that person, may have different needs than their own, yet attempt to invalidate their valid, personal needs/opinions. I have acknowledged where OS X works, and where it doesn't, thus I am not "trolling" or "ranting", I have written a long response to fully address an individuals requests and to assuage their doubts on my knowledge.

On that note, I wish you all a pleasant holiday weekend. Be safe :).

Last edited by a moderator:

macrumors 603
Jan 8, 2009

Wow, you really need to take your own advice.

Attachments

• willis.jpg
    willis.jpg
    9.8 KB · Views: 772

nuckinfutz

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2002
Middle Earth
Wow, you really need to take your own advice.

I'll be glad to when you can show me a post of mine with the same banal logic you've displayed in this thread.

----------

iOS = OS X minus Carbon so it's understandable how engineers would be pulled. They are well versed in the necessary frameworks. I also think the iWork engineers were busy getting iWork up to speed in iOS and that likely has delayed iWork on Mac. It's a given that engineers get assigned to different projects so long as the engineer knows the frameworks.

iCloud and other sync heavy stuff is vastly different than OpenGL so there's less of a chance of engineer swapping. Now if someone said the OpenGL guys were pulled to work on a new revision of Quartz that'd be more believable.

macrumors 603
Jan 8, 2009
I'll be glad to when you can show me a post of mine with the same banal logic you've displayed in this thread.

What are you carrying on about? I had one small post, with points that have already been addressed at length by others on this thread and acknowledged by yourself. Why would I waste my time with someone who clearly has demonstrated a need in condescending others without even acknowledging that they may have a valid "opinion"? Further, why would I spend time going through my "opinions" point by point when it means absolutely nothing to you based on your history in this thread? Others have already stated their opinions, with valid points, yet you seem to gloss over them or simply dismiss them. Further, you're making huge assumptions about my knowledge based on one post. You're just trying to stroke your ego here, and I'm not biting. Simply stated, I'm mooooving on. =]

Oh, and TennisandMusic is spot on, it had nothing to do with iOS = OS X -Carbon, in fact Leopard and Snow Leopard were still in Carbon and slowly moving to Cocoa. Some of Lion is still in Carbon. Also, the PPC to Intel prep work/coding was in the work years before yet needed polishing with Leopard that was hindered by iOS development, thus delaying its much touted release twice to an October release as Apple had so little engineers employed they could not meet the deadline's for iOS/iPhone and OS X releases. Jobs was notorious for wanting a small engineering department, in part due to his paranoia of tech information, but also his desire in knowing everyone in those departments intimately, almost too intimately. It would have benefitted Apple, and still would, had they simply expanded their engineer base in order for product development to meet the tremendous increase of Apple systems.

Last edited:

nuckinfutz

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2002
Middle Earth
I could go on and on, but these points have been addressed. I do not mind iOS integration, but not at the expense of OS X stability/improvements and Pro hardware. As for someone claiming people don't respond but rather rant and then do not continue the discussion thus they're "ignorant", not only is that a personal insult to a complete stranger it's a completely false assumption of someone's knowledge based on a few short posts. I could go back and forth here but I've learned over the years it serves no other purpose other than to make some flex their OS X ego's by putting others down and refusing to acknowledge that they, them, that person, may have different needs than their own, yet attempt to invalidate their valid, personal needs/opinions. I have acknowledged where OS X works, and where it doesn't, thus I am not "trolling" or "ranting", I have written a long response to fully address an individuals requests and to assuage their doubts on my knowledge.

People are not ignorant sometimes some points are. This is a forum where there will always be a variety of opposing viewpoints. I do enjoy reading them or I wouldn't be here. Sometimes I rip on a post or point that you may have but I would support another one of your points with the same intensity.

I'm going to agree with 6core more than I disagree. We're both Mac users passionate enough to chat about it on this forum. Though with that being said if I post something that is not in my finest moment I expect for someone to deconstruct it. It's the only way you learn. We're all adults and can be told we're wrong without getting into a hissy fit.

Have a great friday night as well guys/gals.

Prime85

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2012
The feature i am looking most forward to with Mountain Lion is AirPlay Mirroring of my computer. I already like to stream movies to my apple tv from iTunes but it will be great using my TV as a monitor while playing games.

Sdreed91

macrumors 6502
Oct 10, 2011
The feature i am looking most forward to with Mountain Lion is AirPlay Mirroring of my computer. I already like to stream movies to my apple tv from iTunes but it will be great using my TV as a monitor while playing games.

You are right to be excited. It is fantastic and very easy. I used to have to pull out cords a keyboard and a mouse just to use my TV as a monitor while my Mac was in clamshell mode but not anymore. The airplay is just awesome. AirPlay is probably the newest feature that I use the most.

Martyimac

macrumors 68020
Aug 19, 2009
S. AZ.
Exactly. Jobs was notorious for not hiring more engineers but moving them between departments which is exactly what happened with OS X 10.5. Having worked for Cupertino, I know what I speak of and I don't appreciate someone on this thread strong arming and insulting people as they do not agree with their opinion. It simply makes them appear immature. ..............................................................

Didn't think I needed your whole post so just deleted out all but the first and last paragraph, just makes it easier.

Thank you, thank you for your post. I have been trying to put into words the issues I have had with macs lately and you nailed every one of them. Very well thought out, case made and simple enough for someone like me to understand them. Not all will like what you said but there is a "silent majority" of folks who are starting to feel this way also. I do not plan on buying another Mac unless they bring out a consumer equivalent of the MacPro and price it so the average Joe can buy it, along with the improvements in OSX of course.

nuckinfutz

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2002
Middle Earth
Didn't think I needed your whole post so just deleted out all but the first and last paragraph, just makes it easier.

Thank you, thank you for your post. I have been trying to put into words the issues I have had with macs lately and you nailed every one of them. Very well thought out, case made and simple enough for someone like me to understand them. Not all will like what you said but there is a "silent majority" of folks who are starting to feel this way also. I do not plan on buying another Mac unless they bring out a consumer equivalent of the MacPro and price it so the average Joe can buy it, along with the improvements in OSX of course.

Marty isn't the Mac Pro a consumer device? I mean I believe a new model is coming and while it's not going to be as cheap as an iMac it still would make a fine home computer for those that want a computer that'll last years.

I applaud Bedifferent for his patience. I just happen to have a shorter fuse when it comes to potential misinformation. There are varying levels of knowledge, experience and even point of views.

When we're talking about a new Operating System we really have to define what the purpose of a new version is.

It is not solely to bring new features. It is not solely to bring bug fixes (Software Update can bring that)

One of the reasons why we have major OS version updates is because the changes are so significant a line of demarcation must exist so that confusion doesn't arise.

Imagine if we didn't have major OS versions an developers had to manage and juggle different feature-sets in what is the same OS in nomenclature (e.g 10.7).

It could be a nightmare if the OS had wildly varying feature-set. So what Apple and other people do is create a relatively stable set of frameworks, bug fixes and features that developer know exist and package it. Makes sense for all.

So with that in mind it makes no sense to say "Apple should fix the bugs in Lion first before they move to Mountain Lion" Apple will fix small bugs through Software Update but the larger changes have to be encapsulated in the next major OS version.

Sorry for the long post

dyn

macrumors 68030
Aug 8, 2009
.nl
Also, working in IT/communication as a self proprietor, small-large businesses are moving away from iMacs. Why? Because if any part fails, the entire system needs to be benched for repairs, hindering workflow. If a tower part fails, a graphics card, HDD, just swap it out, and done.
I've never ever understood this point. To me, as a sysadmin, it is complete moot because what you are talking about is a management problem, not a problem with a specific product. iMacs or any other all-in-one like a tablet, tablet-pc, smartphone or notebook/laptop are not a problem if you can simply replace them with a temporary one that you can use for just this purpose. We did this at almost every company I worked for.

Most of them also have special contracts with the company they bought the stuff from that dealt with things like this as well. Like how quick they got a technician on site to fix the problem (such as replacing a component like a graphics card or hdd).

The above also applies to monitors or any other component that is required to actually use a computer. If it breaks you need to replace it asap. This is much easier if you can replace it with a temporary one so the original item can be send in for repair or it can wait for the technician to fix it.

In other words, it is all about how you as a business deal with these kind of things. Replacement of an entire unit should not lead to any problems. It is a universal problem that applies to nearly any device within a company. You'll benefit from a good thought out plan that tells you what to do when a device fails and isn't available for use any more. It is more like thinking from a user perspective instead of IT perspective (how quick can you get somebody back to his/her job IT-wise?).

\-V-/

Suspended
May 3, 2012
Your understanding of apps and features is a bit broken.

I'm going to have to agree.

It's a bit like Snow Leopard was to Leopard. Not too much noticeable on the surface per se, but under the surface there is a lot of things going on... and it is noticeably faster than Lion.

Regardless, it's not like it'll be an expensive upgrade... not a big deal. I'm liking ML right now, personally.

Death-T

macrumors regular
May 18, 2012
Savannah, Georgia
The biggest feature for me is Airplay mirroring. I never understood why it wasn't included in Lion since my iPhone's been able to mirror for a while now. Before if I wanted to stream media from my PC to a TV I needed a long VGB cable for video and a bulky pair of speakers for sound. My crummy laptop would have to be in just the right place for the wired speakers to be positioned properly while the VGB cable reached behind my TV, PS3, cable box, region free DVD player, etc. It was a hot mess with cables running everywhere, and if the VGB cable came slightly loose in the middle of what you were doing then it was a nightmare having to put it back in, rewind the video, and reconfigure the display settings to get back where you were.

I downloaded the developer preview just for airplay. Being able to wirelessly stream video and audio content in perfect quality and no lag with the push of a button is a dream come true for me.

The iOS integration isn't really that exciting, but I suppose it will offer some convenience as an iPhone owner. It's also pretty cool being able to easily text someone on their phone from my computer with the messaging app. I can see how it's not such a huge upgrade. It also doesn't have a huge price tag though. The Airplay feature really makes the deal for me, and it seems most of my frustrations with Lion will be resolved with ML so I'm down for it.

chevalier433

macrumors 6502a
Mar 30, 2011
[QUOTE.. and it is noticeably faster than Lion.[/QUOTE]

Any proof of that?ML is still in development so..

bogatyr

macrumors 65816
Mar 13, 2012
The biggest feature for me is Airplay mirroring. I never understood why it wasn't included in Lion since my iPhone's been able to mirror for a while now. Before if I wanted to stream media from my PC to a TV I needed a long VGB cable for video and a bulky pair of speakers for sound. My crummy laptop would have to be in just the right place for the wired speakers to be positioned properly while the VGB cable reached behind my TV, PS3, cable box, region free DVD player, etc. It was a hot mess with cables running everywhere, and if the VGB cable came slightly loose in the middle of what you were doing then it was a nightmare having to put it back in, rewind the video, and reconfigure the display settings to get back where you were.

I downloaded the developer preview just for airplay. Being able to wirelessly stream video and audio content in perfect quality and no lag with the push of a button is a dream come true for me.

The iOS integration isn't really that exciting, but I suppose it will offer some convenience as an iPhone owner. It's also pretty cool being able to easily text someone on their phone from my computer with the messaging app. I can see how it's not such a huge upgrade. It also doesn't have a huge price tag though. The Airplay feature really makes the deal for me, and it seems most of my frustrations with Lion will be resolved with ML so I'm down for it.

You could always play video from iTunes to the Apple TV. The mirroring in ML has many resolution issues - it offers nothing of value so far (my opinion).

macrumors 603
Jan 8, 2009
I've never ever understood this point. To me, as a sysadmin, it is complete moot because what you are talking about is a management problem, not a problem with a specific product. iMacs or any other all-in-one like a tablet, tablet-pc, smartphone or notebook/laptop are not a problem if you can simply replace them with a temporary one that you can use for just this purpose. We did this at almost every company I worked for.

Most of them also have special contracts with the company they bought the stuff from that dealt with things like this as well. Like how quick they got a technician on site to fix the problem (such as replacing a component like a graphics card or hdd).

The above also applies to monitors or any other component that is required to actually use a computer. If it breaks you need to replace it asap. This is much easier if you can replace it with a temporary one so the original item can be send in for repair or it can wait for the technician to fix it.

In other words, it is all about how you as a business deal with these kind of things. Replacement of an entire unit should not lead to any problems. It is a universal problem that applies to nearly any device within a company. You'll benefit from a good thought out plan that tells you what to do when a device fails and isn't available for use any more. It is more like thinking from a user perspective instead of IT perspective (how quick can you get somebody back to his/her job IT-wise?).

It's not about how you manage. As I work in the same profession, many businesses jumped on the iMac bandwagon as a solution to the void created by the Mac Pro price jump from PowerMac's. The issue that has come forward time and time again is that all-in-one systems are not convenient for a workplace. I have had numerous iMac's over the year's that have failed, and required benching for repairs. Even with Apple's retail business "department", expedited benching still takes a few days. How do we solve this issue when someone doesn't have a system to work on, and if the work they had been doing is on the system? Not all businesses use server's, and not all businesses have an extra system just lying around. If a part in a tower needs replacing, it's easy to replace and takes less time in doing so. It is not a "universal problem that applies to every company", not every company has the same setup. If they're using servers, great, much easier. However many design firms work off their all-on-one iMac. If you've ever worked on an iMac, you would know just how arduous and time consuming it is to diagnose and repair. Notebooks are easier to repair (in general).

Couple this with limited user upgradeability (only RAM is upgradeable), the inability to offer an anti-glare option (even with a hood, iMac displays have been problematic for some, not all, businesses that require such for their work), many have moved to other platforms due to long term financial business strategies. The fact is many businesses are moving away from iMac's due to these limitations. Whether I agree or not, it's just becoming a reality. I have two clients in NYC who moved to either Mac Pro's or Windows built towers due to the fact that they cannot afford the down time should a component fail or they could not afford to upgrade to Mac Pro's from their G4/5's due to the huge difference in price. Server admin is a different story, work can be contained/should be contained/backed up, and the employee could use another machine IF one is available. That's a big "if". Again, how can you justify this issue isn't valid? Replacing parts on the spot is simple for IT, repairing an iMac is not and cannot be done on site (AppleCare is voided and it would take a long time to diagnose, take apart the system and assuming you have Apple proprietary parts, replace). As a former Genius bar employee, I know the specifics required with iMac's and it's not a simple procedure.

In the end, business management is realizing the best solution is moving back to systems that are manageable such as towers/mid-towers. The components are swappable on site (Apple does not offer on-site services, unless a third party has a contract with Apple which is rare), and parts are easier to keep on site than an entire iMac. Other displays can be used, HDD's, graphics cards, etc can be upgradeable allowing the system better longevity than an iMac (current graphics cards on iMac systems are best for moderate usage, PPC iMac's and up until 2007 used mobile parts, notebook's built into a larger display hence the small form factor, and some iMac models still use notebook parts). A business would be smart financially to think long term; would it be better buying 20-30 iMac's with limited service should one fail resulting in employee downtime, no coverage once AppleCare runs out in 3 years unless through a third party in which coverage plans may be limited or expensive, and limited display options for film editors/design houses?

Since iMac's became increasingly popular for businesses roughly 3-4 years ago, many are now dealing with the issue of replacing their systems. As tech evolved so quickly, iMac's become outdated quicker as desktop systems can be upgraded with less expensive options such as replacing graphics cards, displays, RAM, etc. thus keeping overhead down while staying ahead of the curve. It's a shame as Apple left this sect when shifting to Intel and the Xeon based Mac Pro's, increasing their tower base line by $1000 over a PowerMac (and iMac sales were not hindered by PowerMac G4/5's, they each catered/cater to a different market). Businesses that need dozens of systems saw a major price increase in upgrades, went for iMac's, and are now facing having to replace those systems. Before, PowerMac's could last 4, 5 sometimes 6 years for most business, and the CCFL LCD's Apple offered gave businesses great IPS panels in three various sizes. I know many who still use the 23" and 30" displays, they're working well, no burn-in, still bright and great overall performance. If only Apple offered the form factor of a Mac Pro with i7's processors, I guarantee you they would see a impressive increase in business and high end consumer sales.

Last edited by a moderator:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.