Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

satcomer

Suspended
Feb 19, 2008
The Finger Lakes Region
I have been running since about a month after its release date with no major problem. The only thing you have to tweak iTunes settings a bit to make it look like the older iTunes, iTunes 11 is a big rewrite.

Plus IMHO when making new email accounts in 10.8 don;t use Mail to do it. Instead go through System Preferences->Mail, Contacts & Calendar's + button to add new email accounts. :eek:

chevelleguy3

macrumors regular
Apr 24, 2013
Mckinney, TX
I have several MP 3,1 machines running 10.8.3 very smooth here at work. I even have 10.8.3 running on my MP 1,1 with the Chameleon boot loader and it has been pretty stable and runs very well. You shouldn't have any issues on a 3,1.

kirkbross

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 6, 2007
Los Angeles
Thank you all, kindly.

Any tricks for doing a clean install on a new drive or just download from App store, select new drive and install?

(I'm going to put 10.8 on a 256GB Samsung 840 Pro).

chevelleguy3

macrumors regular
Apr 24, 2013
Mckinney, TX
Thank you all, kindly.

Any tricks for doing a clean install on a new drive or just download from App store, select new drive and install?

(I'm going to put 10.8 on a 256GB Samsung 840 Pro).

I usually like to download from App store, extract the InstallESD.dmg file from the download and restore to an 8GB flash drive. Then boot to the flash drive and install on the new drive.

phobox

macrumors member
Dec 25, 2007
I usually like to download from App store, extract the InstallESD.dmg file from the download and restore to an 8GB flash drive. Then boot to the flash drive and install on the new drive.

This is exactly what I do for each install I do and to the OP, yes ML 10.8.3 works great on the Mac Pro 3,1. No modification required.

kirkbross

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 6, 2007
Los Angeles
I usually make bootable flash drives when I do Windows installs, when I only have the (slow, tedious) DVD... but if it's a download to begin with, what's the benefit of this method?

chevelleguy3

macrumors regular
Apr 24, 2013
Mckinney, TX
I usually make bootable flash drives when I do Windows installs, when I only have the (slow, tedious) DVD... but if it's a download to begin with, what's the benefit of this method?

I prefer this way so that it can be a clean fresh install and not installed from the original HDD.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.