Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dr. Cheesesteak

macrumors member
Jan 27, 2005
13" 2011 i5 Air here... and I'm not thrilled so far. The OS itself seems fine but UI animations have become slow and choppy. Even simple things like moving the mouse cursor around the screen.

No one else is seeing something similar?

Try opening iCal... err... Calendar (that's going to take some getting used to since I launch everything from Alfred) and use the trackpad gesture to swipe between months. What I assume should be a smooth animation looks like it instead has about 5 frames it jumps between.

I only have 4GB but half is free at the moment, and CPU usage is almost nil. Strange. It's running more like I'm encoding a video in the background or something.

=======Edit

Alright... Just reset SMC and PRAM just to see if it might make a difference and I think it may have. If anyone notices the same give it a shot.

Last edited:

Onimusha370

macrumors 6502a
Aug 25, 2010
13" 2011 i5 Air here... and I'm not thrilled so far. The OS itself seems fine but UI animations have become slow and choppy. Even simple things like moving the mouse cursor around the screen.

Try opening iCal... err... Calendar (that's going to take some getting used to since I launch everything from Alfred) and use the trackpad gesture to swipe between months. What I assume should be a smooth animation looks like it instead has about 5 frames it jumps between.

I only have 4GB but half is free at the moment, and CPU usage is almost nil. Strange. It's running more like I'm encoding a video in the background or something.

=======Edit

Alright... Just reset SMC and PRAM just to see if it might make a difference and I think it may have. If anyone notices the same give it a shot.

i'm experiencing similar things mate, how do you do the resets you mentioned? i always forget...

cheers :)

edit: just turned on the automatic show/hide dock feature and the animations have become silky smooth!

Last edited:

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
Might be too early to ask this, but can anyone report on how the battery life is on their 2011 Airs running ML?

Rideherhard

macrumors 6502
Aug 2, 2010
I have an Original MacBook Air that I don't use for much. Mostly it's used by house guests who want to check email, etc. But it is always the first computer I upgrade to a new OS X.

I see from the specs that it won't run Mountain Lion. That sucks.

So it looks like 4 years is the max lifetime you can expect to get out of an Apple product if you want OS upgrades.

really? 4 years? as 2010 and under macs can't airplay, if you don't have SSD you don't get power nap, it looks like every 2 years if you want the full OS X, which is really dumb.

asting

macrumors 6502
Jun 10, 2012
really? 4 years? as 2010 and under macs can't airplay, if you don't have SSD you don't get power nap, it looks like every 2 years if you want the full OS X, which is really dumb.

I agree. I'm pissed I'm not getting features I didn't know would exist and wasn't promised. God damn immigrants. 'Murica

Acronyc

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2011
Loud Fan

I had no issues installing ML on my 2010 11", but my fan is now on constantly, hovering at about 6,000RPM when idle. Under Lion it barely broke 2,000 during my regular load. I tried resetting the SMC and PRAM to no avail. Temperatures are fine, with my CPU at about 58C and everything else very low. Really hoping I won't have to do a clean install. Anyone else having any problems with their fan?

roccobladr

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2011
Works great on my 2011 MBA 11" with 128GB and 4GB RAM. Wakes up from sleep alot without a hiccup, overall performance seems smoother and the new safari update has made me jump ship from chrome!

mouthster

macrumors 6502
Apr 22, 2005
I had no issues installing ML on my 2010 11", but my fan is now on constantly, hovering at about 6,000RPM when idle. Under Lion it barely broke 2,000 during my regular load. I tried resetting the SMC and PRAM to no avail. Temperatures are fine, with my CPU at about 58C and everything else very low. Really hoping I won't have to do a clean install. Anyone else having any problems with their fan?

How long has it been ? Could be your system working a little harder because Spotlight is re-indexing. Been using ML on my 2010 13" Air all day and it's def. faster then Lion and no fan issues.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010

Some of the features, such as AirPlay and PowerNap, rely on hardware features that Intel has only added over the past 2 years. AirPlay uses Intel's Quick Sync technology that is part of the Sandy Bridge and Ivy Bridge processors. Power Nap relies on Intel's Smart Connect technology that was built into the chipsets that are approved for the Ultrabook platform.

I'd rather have an OS that takes advantage of new hardware where possible than one that is deliberately crippled just so that everyone gets the same exact OS experience.

----------

How long has it been ? Could be your system working a little harder because Spotlight is re-indexing. Been using ML on my 2010 13" Air all day and it's def. faster then Lion and no fan issues.

^This. The fans were spinning pretty wild for the first hour after I restarted with Mountain Lion on my 2012 MacBook Air, but now it's as quiet as ever. Safari seemed a bit slower at first, but now seems quite a bit snappier, as well.

imswimmin

macrumors regular
Apr 6, 2011
ML on the 2011 13" i5 MBA has been great so far. It feels exceptionally smooth (not to say that Lion wasn't). Lion never gave me any problems so I can't say that this one is miles better. But it is great nonetheless.

mikkker007

macrumors member
Jul 12, 2012
Queensland, Australia
Installed ML, this morning (Australian time)... went perfectly.... Lovin Safari's new features........... boots Super fast, from ON button to Desktop...11 sec!!!!
2 things I have noticed. 1, shutdown, is significantly longer .... 2, Ram, has been impacted to the tune of 500mb!!........regardless......... its leaps and bounds over Lion.........

base model 4gb/11"/64SSD.......

Last edited:

Acronyc

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2011

Yeah, it must have been Spotlight or something else going on, because after a few hours its back to normal. After installing ML last night, I used it away from an outlet for a few hours without any issues. Once I plugged it in at the office this morning, the fans were going like crazy for about two hours, and I'm guessing Spotlight only works when the system is plugged in.

Anyway, all is going well so far and it definitely feels faster. Really enjoying the updates to Safari too, it might be time for me to take a break from Chrome.

penguintri

macrumors member
Jun 30, 2009
UK

=======Edit

This seems to be caused by the dock, as if I hide the dock or change the dock to a 2d dock, then animations are smooth again. This is also affected by the size of the dock. If the dock is long, whether by having lots of applications or enlarging the icons the stuttering is much worse that if the dock only occupies a portion of the bottom of the screen.

It's a shame, hopefully it will be fixed to be as smooth as Lion in an update.

Acorn

macrumors 68030
Jan 2, 2009
macrumors
this is good news. it seems for the most part folks are happy with it. i purchased my 2012 air late june so it looks like i get it for free. just waiting for the code kinks to be worked out.

TheMadBrewer

macrumors regular
Feb 11, 2008
Marina del Rey, CA
Thats a nice observation, may I ask if you upgraded the ram on your original Air or is just the base model? Sorry if is an stupid question, when the first air was released i wasnt even thinking on getting a mac, just toooooo expensive at my country....

The Original Air didn't have many choices, IIRC. If there was a choice, I got the max.

----------

Well, with your 2 year old Mac you can at least load the OS. And some new features are impacted by hardware -- or lack of it.

ooans

macrumors 6502
Jun 4, 2011
Anybody has one of the 2010 Airs with 2 gigs of ram?
Just curious how ML runs. :)

At least on my 4gb 1.4ghz 2010 MBA Mountain Lion is very choppy. This especially applies to Safari 6.

Certainly slower than Lion was.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.