Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

F.biz

macrumors newbie
Sep 7, 2010
Warsaw district, Poland
No way for now...

So... there's no way to get Lion anymore if you haven't already bought it? (Getting my facts straight before I blow up.)

It looks like there is no way to download Lion. We just can try to buy second hand Lion USB stick. I could not find it in The Apple Store.

This is real mednedds!

Riot Nrrrd

macrumors 6502
Feb 23, 2011
Lost Androideles
Upgrade Install or Full Install these days?

What're most people doing for the ML install?

I have a Mac Pro still on Snow Leopard, and my work MacBook Pro came with Lion already on it (it's now running 10.7.4), so I have yet to do a Lion or Mountain Lion install yet.

In the past I've always done my OS installs via full backups and then wipes and a fresh from-scratch install.

Does this newfangled App Store method let you do that?

Back in the day it usually wasn't a good idea to do an Upgrade Install given that old cruft could cause unexpected issues. Is that still the case? (I see a couple of people have mentioned doing Upgrade Installs over Lion.)

Last edited:

cerote

macrumors 6502a
Mar 2, 2009
Mountain lion removed my parallels 6.0. Any idea for a fix to run parallels 6 on mountain lion?

Not sure if anyone answered you or yet but 6.0 is incompatible. But I think I read ML moves incompatible apps to a Incompatible App Folder.

michael31986

macrumors 601
Jul 11, 2008
how do i do the facebook plugin on my macbook. i want to be able to update status like they mentioned from the notification bar and etc. thanks

silverbs

macrumors newbie
Jul 26, 2012
Jersey City
No facebook on 10.8 until Fall

how do i do the facebook plugin on my macbook. i want to be able to update status like they mentioned from the notification bar and etc. thanks

No facebook integration yet. It will come in a future update.

Upgraded to Mountain Lion last night and AirPlay with iTunes works very well. However it's interesting that VLC has AirPlay Video/Audio outputs but is not yet fully supported (no audio). Audio only works within iTunes. Wish there was an AirPlay option for Safari while watching videos on YouTube etc. Until the future I guess. Gold Master was a few months too early.

Kevinflo

macrumors newbie
Jul 28, 2007
Minneapolis
Anyone else using ML on a rMBP feel like swiping between different spaces or between your main desktop and the dashboard is annoyingly jittery and unresponsive compared to lion?

This is in contrast to the on-page verticle scrolling within a browser being MUCH smoother.

krzyglue

macrumors regular
May 27, 2009
I really really like ML. Though I admit it's possible a lot of the perkiness may be because I went for a clean install (didn't like the idea of SL > Lion > ML), it really does feel as quick as SL and that's saying a lot. The new features are just a plus.

caspersoong

macrumors 6502a
Feb 27, 2011
I love the way you can type "Do assignment at 10 am" in reminders and it makes a reminder set for 10 am. I never expected this (though quite common) functionality. I love the speed of Safari too. Besides, my wake-up speed from sleep decreased from 10 seconds to nil. Best buy ever.

Thunderhawks

Suspended
Feb 17, 2009
Prepare to be disappointed. Only for Early 2011 and newer models. There are a couple threads about it. Apparently it is a physical hardware limitation.[/QUOTE

Lots of the forums complain about Airplay not working for older models.

One poster keeps mentioning that Apple did state the system requirements to use Airplay.

Let's just say that that "statement" is so well hidden that you need a detective AND a microscope to find it.

Definitely not clear on Apple's part and thus misleading!

Should have a footnote in that section of new features for ML.

----------

I can't get messages and iMessage on my iPhone to sync. What am I doing wrong?

No idea, but restart all devices as a first step?

Otaviano

macrumors 6502a
Nov 22, 2007
What're most people doing for the ML install?

I have a Mac Pro still on Snow Leopard, and my work MacBook Pro came with Lion already on it (it's now running 10.7.4), so I have yet to do a Lion or Mountain Lion install yet.

In the past I've always done my OS installs via full backups and then wipes and a fresh from-scratch install.

Does this newfangled App Store method let you do that?

Back in the day it usually wasn't a good idea to do an Upgrade Install given that old cruft could cause unexpected issues. Is that still the case? (I see a couple of people have mentioned doing Upgrade Installs over Lion.)

This time I did a clean install. Last year with the original Lion I did an upgrade. If you like doing a clean install then go for the clean install. There are great directions on osxdaily.com.

AppleInTheMud

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2012
Vojens Denmark
Disapointed

Bought my iMac february 2011 in Apple Store.

And still it seems mine is a 2010 model ???

Soooo Mountain Lion was a waste of money :-/ Only wanted it for mirroring to Apple TV.

So now my daughter gets this "old" piece of ****.

Anyway... Been using Mac for 11 years. But seems since Lion everything is just about money and no good things :-/

iPhone sold yesterday... New PC when Windows 8 comes.

Hope something really new and good soon comes from Apple. Sad to see what you loved for so long going down the drain.

Mountain Lion is like Lion - SUPER LAGGY and SLOW. My Windows 8 partition is more than twice as fast :-(

majuha

macrumors member
Jun 21, 2012
Barcelona
Did SL -> Lion -> ML without any clean install. ML is running A LOT faster compared to Lion. Safari also. Big difference in my case, I'm on a late 2010 MBP. Really happy with the update so far, haven't experienced any problems at all.

krzyglue

macrumors regular
May 27, 2009
This time I did a clean install. Last year with the original Lion I did an upgrade. If you like doing a clean install then go for the clean install. There are great directions on osxdaily.com.

Yeah I feel ML really benefits from a clean install.

macpeach55

macrumors 6502
Just Upgraded

Just upgraded to Mountain Lion on my Late 2008 MBP as a Crash Test Dummy to my iMac. Everything fantastic. Only waiting for the OnyX final version to be where I was App wise before.
Very happy - everything definitely is quicker, better.

I will not list specific programs that work to keep the cave Trolls away!
(The ones who just live for picking apart everything)
but if they want to ask..... Bring it On!!!
:)

ImAlwaysRight

macrumors 6502a
Bought my iMac february 2011 in Apple Store.

And still it seems mine is a 2010 model ???

Mountain Lion is like Lion - SUPER LAGGY and SLOW. My Windows 8 partition is more than twice as fast :-(

Ummm, you're doing it wrong. No way you have a 2010 iMac that has at minimum a 3.06GHz i3 processor and 4GB RAM. Lion runs decent on a 2006 iMac 2.0GHz Core 2 Duo with 3GB RAM that I oversee. You must have something seriously wanked in your system.

jcmc

macrumors regular
Nov 16, 2008
Struggling

I am really not getting on well with ML so far. The first major issue is the power management stuff, apologies if this has been covered at length but coming out of sleep or power save mode is turgid. It takes ages, the CPU whirrs for minutes and everything is slow and clunky for way too long.

I'm sure people have mentioned about the network going to sleep along with the screen which is annoying when downloading stuff over night.

But it's the general inefficiency with core apps like iPhoto and iTunes which is the most worrying. I will get large spikes of CPU activity randomly for a few minutes at a time with one or the other for no apparent reason.

The net result is a decent spec 27" late 2010 iMac which is now feeling rather old and slow. Which shouldn't be the case.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.