Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bre.Luiz

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 8, 2010
Sup good people,

I've just updated to OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion and i quite like the new update, except for one thing that's bothering me... the damm Finder side bar...

Im kinda OCD so i like consistency, but every single time i create a new folder, the freaking side bar resizes every single time i create a new folder the side bar changes size... i don't know if im the only one with this "problem" or im the only one who cares that much about consistency...

Here is a screenshot to show what im talking about...

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2012-07-29 at 4.02.41 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2012-07-29 at 4.02.41 PM.png
    802.6 KB · Views: 310

robgendreau

macrumors 68040
Jul 13, 2008
Um, it's not the software that has the bug...:D

But you are correct; there should be some way to change the default views, size etc of a new folder. But darned if I could find it. I suppose there's a file somewhere that sets the defaults for the .ds_store file, where this stuff is stored. I looked in some Finder prefs but didn't see anything obvious. Would be a nice utility to have.

Meanwhile, you'd probably have to create your own template new folder, and then duplicate it. And maybe automate the process or create a script to change the folder to the views you like.

Let us know if you find anything.

Soundflunky

macrumors regular
Apr 29, 2012
Try setting up a folder exactly as you'd like new windows to look and selecting "Use as Defaults" in View Options.

Bre.Luiz

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 8, 2010
Try setting up a folder exactly as you'd like new windows to look and selecting "Use as Defaults" in View Options.

Tried that... didn't work... this freaking thing is driving me nuts... damm is it asking too much for a little consistency?!:mad:

Bre.Luiz

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 8, 2010
Apple should pay attention to overall OS consistency... even Microsoft does it with Windows7....

Mal

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2002
Orlando
There is a standard way of setting default view options for things like this, though it's admittedly not talked about… anywhere, pretty much. Give it a try:

Open a brand new Finder window (don't work with one you already have open, this is crucial).

Set it up the way you want every new Finder window to look, sidebar/size/etc.

Close the window without navigating to any other folders or doing anything else.

Now, every new window should open the same way. This doesn't always work, but I've found it pretty reliable in the past.

jW

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.