mountain lion won't connect to windows 2000 server share

Discussion in 'OS X Mountain Lion (10.8)' started by durija, Sep 25, 2012.

1. macrumors 6502

I have one computer at my workplace that was running Lion. It connected just fine to shares on a Windows 2000 Server box (via smb). I upgraded to Mountain Lion and cannot now connect to the shares. I'm looking for a fix.

2. macrumors 6502

Imac Sam

....And you will not get it back. Apple has removed SMB support for older windows operating systems like Win 2000. It's planned obselence.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4145388?start=0&tstart=0

There have been a few fixes but they mostly require purchase of expensive 3rd party software. I myself, am still looking for a free solution to this problem.

3. macrumors 65816

aliensporebomb

Sigh

Part of it is Microsoft Windows 2000 is pushing 13 years old in a production environment and Microsoft no longer supports it.

So if Microsoft isn't supporting it any longer why should Apple?

4. thread starter macrumors 6502

I'm aware how ancient the technology is. Unfortunately, I'm forced to use it. I never said I expected support from Microsoft or Apple regarding this. I was just hoping someone with more technical skills than me had run into this and created a solution, preferably a free one, but I'd even pay a few bucks for something that worked. I'll continue with my workarounds for now, meaning more exercise, since I have to get up from one workstation and walk to another. Maybe I'll lose a couple of pounds.