Mountain Lion....Worth It for me?

Discussion in 'OS X Mountain Lion (10.8)' started by cali shot doc, Jul 27, 2012.

1. macrumors member

I'm debating whether or not I should upgrade to mountain lion. I have a "mid 2010 13in macbook pro 2.4GHz intel core 2 duo with 8gb 1067 Mhz DDR3" and i'm wondering if the key features i'm interested in will work. I like the dictation, power nap, and airplay features but will it work on my computer?

I like the documents in the cloud feature too but does that only work with pages, keynote and numbers? Or will it work with Office apps too because i mainly use word and excel?

I know $20 bucks isn't alot but i'm a student and don't want to waste my time or money if Mountain Lion won't be worth it.

Thanks for any help

2. macrumors 6502

Dragoro

If your comp meets reqs, dictation will work. You can put your office docs in cloud manually, not sure if ya can set it to do it automatically. Powernap only works with comps that have a ssd drive that comes from apple. No idea about air play.

3. macrumors 68000

ideal.dreams

I say upgrade...ML is DEFINITELY faster and much more responsive for me than Lion was and that's on a Mid-2009 MacBook Pro. It's definitely an improvement from Lion.

Dictation is awesome and I'm pretty sure that your MBP will support power nap, provided that you have an Apple branded SSD. However, from your given specs, it doesn't look like it'll support the new AirpPlay mirroring - it requires a newer processor (ivy or sandy bridge I believe); on the fly encoding is really CPU intensive and only the newer processors can handle it.

4. thread starter macrumors member

have you upgraded? is it worth it?

----------

sounds good. I just have to bite the bullet and hit buy i think lol

5. macrumors 68000

ideal.dreams

I updated my post above about the new AirPlay; it won't work on your MBP because the processor is too out of date. On the fly encoding is very CPU intensive and requires a newer processor that can handle it.

6. macrumors regular

+1, Just the performance difference is worth more than the $20 you pay.

7. macrumors 6502

Dragoro

Yeah I upgraded. Well worth it in my opinion.

8. thread starter macrumors member

How did you guys upgrade? Did you do a clean install or just install from the app store?

9. macrumors member

Why are there like 15 threads on this same topic?