Mounted Drive and Spinning Beachball

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by Mr. Anderson, Jun 17, 2003.

1. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Ok, so I have a TiPB and occasionally I'll mount it on my PowerMac or vice versa. Then, in a rush, close it and go somewhere else (out of the house). When I open it up again and the drive icon is still there I get a spinning beachball that lasts for minutes that prevents me from doing anything in the Finder until the computer decides that the drives no longer available.

What can I do to speed this up?

D

2. pEZ macrumors 6502

I'm not sure if there's a way other than remembering to disconnect from the other machine before closing the 'book. I've run into this many a time with an iBook - took forever on that one. Just drag the disc to the trash before you rush out, saves you more time in the long run.

3. evildead macrumors 65816

evildead

not much you can do

If you dont shut down, or dont log out.. I dont know what you can do. You could write an applescript that will unmount network drives when you go into sleep mode or something like that. If you disconnect from the network before you go into sleep mode (close the powerbook), it will take a while for it to unmount it but... it might be done by the time you get to where ever your going

I was just in Old town the other day

4. Mr. Anderson thread starter Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Well that's something Apple is going to have to work on. Its a pain to say the least.

Thanks,

D