Mounted network shares and invisibles!

Discussion in 'macOS' started by branana, Oct 16, 2006.

1. branana macrumors member

Hi, I have a Gentoo based desktop and a Mac laptop running Tiger. I'm having a create-cache-resource-fork nightmare with the OS X laptop mounting AFP shares on the Linux machine, and creating a lot of files called ":2eDS_Store", in every directory in fact. OS X also creates "Network Trash Folder" and "Temperary Items" in the root of every mount.

Is there a way to disable OS X from doing this without having to limit the share to Read-only on the server side?

2. beatsme macrumors 65816

beatsme

I'm sorry, what? :confused:

I don't quite understand what you're saying.

3. branana thread starter macrumors member

The question is actually fairly straight forward...

How to stop OS X from fux'ing network shares.

4. beatsme macrumors 65816

beatsme

if you want to stop OSX from creating the .DS_Store/Temp Items/Network Trash items, it's very likely the only way to do it is to modify OSX at the kernel level, inasmuch as it creates those items automatically and uses them to track activity in the volume. Note that preventing OSX from creating them may well (probably will) kill OSX's ability to successfully use the volumes.

They're supposed to be invisible, so if you're seeing them in the Linux interface it's probably because Linux doesn't understand the protocol that OSX is using.

link

5. branana thread starter macrumors member