Mounting a network share on the iPad

Discussion in 'iPad Apps' started by JulianL, Nov 27, 2010.

1. macrumors 6502a

Feb 2, 2010
    London, UK
    I bought my iPad for use on my couch to replace my laptop and one of my big concerns is that sometimes I want to quickly check something in some file or other on my desktop PC (which has its "My Documents" folder advertised as a Windows share on my local network) or some file on my NAS. I was really worried that this would be functionality that I would lose in going from a Windows laptop to an iPad. The solutions that I had seen that allow you to mount your iPad as a drive and drag things onto it from a PC didn't solve my issue because I never know until I need it exactly what file on my PC I might want to access.

If anyone has a similar requirement then I thought that I'd make people aware of the "File Browser" application from Stratospherix Ltd ( I have no connection whatsoever with the company apart from having bought a single copy of the app many months ago (when it was about 3 times the price I seem to remember) but I am amazingly impressed with it because it 100% solves my issue, is really fast, and rock solid for me in terms of stability. I really can't recommend it highly enough.

There are probably other apps out there doing the same thing so if anyone wants to add their experiences of other solutions for mounting network shares on their iPad, or other positive or negative experiences with the Stratospherix solution, then please feel free to do so because that would make this thread a useful resource for current or future iPad owners wanting to do this.

- Julian
  2. macrumors regular

Oct 17, 2007
    Lichfield UK
    I'll second that, I use File Browser everyday for streaming video from my network drive. It works very well.