"Mounting disk?"

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by JLaFrance, Jan 22, 2005.

1. JLaFrance macrumors member

Suddenly, my eMac can't 'see' my external firewire HD. I looked in Disk Utility and it can see that the disk is physically there, but isn't mounted. Not noticing the 'mount' button, I tried repairing the disk but it failed...invalid node structure...and when I did discover the mount button, it didn't work. I tried restarting the computer but no luck. Last time this happened (which it has) the firewire card went bad, replacing it fixed it. I know this isn't the problem because the computer ('about this mac -> 'more info' -> 'firewire') recognizes that there is a device tree and it recognizes both the HD and iSight. I guess the real question is, how do I mount the disk?

2. awulf macrumors 6502

By the looks of it you need a third party utility to fix your drive such as DiskWarrior X ( http://www.alsoft.com/DiskWarrior/ ).

Or you could use a tool to retrieve data from the drive such as Data Rescue ( http://www.prosofteng.com/ ) and afterwards reformat the External Hard Drive.

Both options aren't cheap, and require the Hard Drive to be Mac formatted (HFS or HFS+).

Another option maybe to try plugging the drive into another computer.

3. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

crazzyeddie

Sounds like you also might have unplugged the drive without unmounting it first. Be careful of that, it can corrupt data on the drive or lead to problems like this.

4. JLaFrance thread starter macrumors member

Now that you mention it, I think that is probably what happened. I have the application "Carbon Copy Cloner" and I'm wonder whether or not just writing over the data that is already on the disk will 're-mount' it, or does it have to be mounted in the first place to be written on. Or, could I erase the disk using Disk Utility and rewrite on it fresh with the Carbon Copy Cloner and have it be mounted automatically. In the future, if I want to 'unmount' the disk, how do i go about doing it and how do i remount it when I plug it back in. When I hit 'mount' in Disk Utility, nothing happens.

5. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

crazzyeddie

I really couldn't follow what you said about CCC, but to unmount a drive, you drag it to the Trash in the dock (it will turn into an Eject symbol) or hit command-E or right-click and select Eject.