mounting network drive at startup

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by buckuxc, Jan 17, 2004.

1. buckuxc macrumors regular

I'm a student on a university network. Since Macs don't automatically mount network drives like I'm used to with Windows, I'd like to set up my Powerbook to mount my student space when I startup. What I have been doing is just Connect to Server and specifying it and then dragging the icon to my Dock. I'd like to just have it appear on my desktop everytime I login. Is there an applescript for this? or an easy way to make one? I'm new to AppleScript as well. Thanks

sps

2. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

You can drag and drop the icon of the mounted volume in your System Prefs - Accounts - "Statup Items"-tab.

3. buckuxc thread starter macrumors regular

so I got a little excited

...and added like 4 folders/apps to the startup tab: my mounted student server space, Konfabulator, xPad, and iCal. I am running a 12" PB 1Ghz w/ 256MB of RAM (that will be upgraded in the near future). Will having that many startup items slow my computer down? I have a million and a half newbie questions, but I really want to know the answers. One of these days I can then dish out answers.

sps

4. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

It will mean your Mac takes slightly longer to be usable after logging in while it starts everything up. I have Mail, iCal, iChat, & WeatherPop start when I login, it just means I wait a couple seconds before I start to do anything. You should be fine...oh, but get that extra RAM ASAP, 256Mb doesn't cut it, and you wont be getting the best out of your PB ;)

5. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

I must be missing something, I don't see a Startup Items tab under Accounts. Are we talking about Login Items?:confused:

6. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

In 10.3 you will find the "Startup Items" under "Accounts"

I think you are referring to 10.2? I think it was called "Login Items" in Jag.

7. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

Yep, me Jag, you Panther.

Man, I think we will have to start specifying the OS version in any questions/replies :D