Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hugh

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 9, 2003
Erie, PA
How do I mount PC partitions that are on hybrid discs? I found my StarCraft and WarCraft (Both Battle Chest) and would love to play these games from the real thing. But I would like to play though WINE or DOS BOX (WarCraft 1 or possible WarCraft 2). But I noticed I can't seem to see the PC partition on this disc. I know this is normal on the Mac not to see the PC partition on hybrid discs.

Why don't I play though ShapeShaver, well that's still not stable enough (for me at least it isn't), and I really don't want to go though a VM unless I really have to (limited hard drive space).

So how do I mount the PC partition and is it possible to play these games though WINE or DOS BOX?

Thanks! :)

=Hugh

MacUser2525

Suspended
Mar 17, 2007
Canada
So how do I mount the PC partition and is it possible to play these games though WINE or DOS BOX?

No clue on the emulators but open Terminal (Applications => Utilities folder) then type in and enter.

Code:
diskutil list

This gets you listing of all disks in the machine and if one of the CD/DVDs are mounted it will list them as well. Now.

Code:
diskutil unmountDisk /dev/disk2

This should unmount a CD/DVD that shows up as disk2 in the listing you performed earlier. Next mount the disk as dos hopefully.

Code:
mount -t msdos /dev/disk2

If it complains about permissions then add sudo to front of command and if not allowing the whole disk to be mounted as dos then try the partition containing the dos portion you can see in the listing say disk2s3 for the part on the end. That should be it if it fails post the commands used and output from them in Terminal in code box here so we can look at it.

Hugh

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 9, 2003
Erie, PA
Sorry for the delayed response, but I tried your commands and the 'mount -t msdos /dev/disk2' It's actually disk6 for me doesn't work. I get:

mount -t msdos /dev/disk6

usage: mount [-dfruvw] [-o options] [-t external_type] special node

mount [-adfruvw] [-t external_type]

mount [-dfruvw] special | node

So I am assuming that means the command is bad, it didn't tell me that I didn't have permission to do to it or anything. Just the above. :(

=Hugh

MacUser2525

Suspended
Mar 17, 2007
Canada
Brain fade I left out the mount point I do believe use.

Code:
mkdir /tmp/CD
mount -t msdos /dev/disk6 /tmp/CD

Hugh

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 9, 2003
Erie, PA
Now I get the following Error:

mount_msdos: /dev/disk6: Resource busy

Does it hurt the mention this CD Hybrid has music and two partitions (PC/MAC)?

I unmounted the CD and tried again and this is the error I got:

mount_msdos: Unsupported sector size (0)

=Hugh

MacUser2525

Suspended
Mar 17, 2007
Canada
Now I get the following Error:

mount_msdos: /dev/disk6: Resource busy

Does it hurt the mention this CD Hybrid has music and two partitions (PC/MAC)?

I unmounted the CD and tried again and this is the error I got:

mount_msdos: Unsupported sector size (0)

=Hugh

Hopefully you used the diskutil unmountDisk command to unmount it as that should be the idea to use before trying to mount it as dos. Other than that I am running out of ideas.

Hugh

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 9, 2003
Erie, PA
May I ask what version of OS you are using? I'm using 12.1, I don't think that makes a difference, but I thought I would mention it. :/

Also take note that I said this CD also has music tracks on it. For some reason according to DiskUtil.app the music tracks are the first partition and the Mac installer is the second. So I am guessing that the ISO9660 (PC side) is after that. :/. Then again I could be wrong and don't know what I am talking about.. LOL

=Hugh

MacUser2525

Suspended
Mar 17, 2007
Canada
May I ask what version of OS you are using? I'm using 12.1, I don't think that makes a difference, but I thought I would mention it. :/

Also take note that I said this CD also has music tracks on it. For some reason according to DiskUtil.app the music tracks are the first partition and the Mac installer is the second. So I am guessing that the ISO9660 (PC side) is after that. :/. Then again I could be wrong and don't know what I am talking about.. LOL

=Hugh

10.11.6 though should not matter I have no hybrid here to try now I think again since you have mentioned it try this then.

Code:
mount_cd9660 /dev/disk6

The mount command to mount that type of disk without any extra switches added in. Seeing the posted output of the diskutil list command as it applies to the disk would not hurt either.

Hugh

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 9, 2003
Erie, PA
Disk Util list is:

/dev/disk6 (external, physical):

#: TYPE NAME SIZE IDENTIFIER

0: CD_partition_scheme Warcraft 2 Game Music *680.9 MB disk6

When I try your last command I get the following output:

usage: mount_cd9660 [-egjr] [-o options] [-s startsector] special node

====

These Blizzard discs are one tricky devils! LOL

=Hugh

Hugh

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 9, 2003
Erie, PA
Okay, I guess we are getting closer, the disc acted like it was going to mount, it didn't. This is what I put and the response:

2013-iMac:~ locutus$ mount_cd9660 /dev/disk6 /tmp/cd

mount_cd9660: Invalid argument

=Hugh

MacUser2525

Suspended
Mar 17, 2007
Canada
Okay, I guess we are getting closer, the disc acted like it was going to mount, it didn't. This is what I put and the response:

2013-iMac:~ locutus$ mount_cd9660 /dev/disk6 /tmp/cd

mount_cd9660: Invalid argument

=Hugh

Only idea I have left is trying one of the [-egjr] [-o options] [-s startsector] options which one I have no clue, might be time to break down and use a windows machine as much as it pains me to say it.

joshjohnson

macrumors member
Mar 16, 2004
Only idea I have left is trying one of the [-egjr] [-o options] [-s startsector] options which one I have no clue, might be time to break down and use a windows machine as much as it pains me to say it.
the mount point is all wrong. what you do when you type the mount command is tell it to make the mount point an existing folder, and it's better to mount any filesystem in /Volumes/ anyway. so do the initial commands to unmount the mac partition then type:
md /Volumes/isoimg
where isoimg is the name you want to give the disk. it will even mount on your desktop to double click and drag after typing:
sudo mount -t cd9660 -o nodev,nosuid,read_only /dev/disk1s1 /Volumes/isoimg
where disk1 is the CD drive (yours may be different) and /Volumes/isoimg is the name of the folder you are mounting the disk in. you will need to give the terminal an unmount the cd command when you are done with the disc as dragging to the trash pushing the eject button etc will not eject the CD. don't worry about leftovers as unmounting the disc will clean up any created folders in /Volumes/ .

or you can just ignore all the troubles, make an account with blizzard, and register your warcraft III/starcraft/brood wars/Frozen throne CD key there and just download a fully unlocked and upgraded Sierra or Windows compatible installer you can use anywhere. I honestly don't know if this is possible with Warcraft 2 or warcraft orcs and humans but I have done it successfully with the before mentioned games.

MacUser2525

Suspended
Mar 17, 2007
Canada
and it's better to mount any filesystem in /Volumes/ anyway. so do the initial commands to unmount the mac partition then type:

Where you make the mount does not matter I always go with /tmp because it is read/writable by a user and I know it will go away next boot/reboot so you never have conflict with existing system usage plus /tmp is short for temporary usage in *nix exactly what we are doing with it.

joshjohnson

macrumors member
Mar 16, 2004
Where you make the mount does not matter I always go with /tmp because it is read/writable by a user and I know it will go away next boot/reboot so you never have conflict with existing system usage plus /tmp is short for temporary usage in *nix exactly what we are doing with it.
heh, fair enough. if it appears on your desktop that's a good thing. makes file copy a little eaisier. anyway don't forget what I said about Blizzard. good for these modern CD free systems lol.

MacUser2525

Suspended
Mar 17, 2007
Canada
heh, fair enough. if it appears on your desktop that's a good thing. makes file copy a little eaisier. anyway don't forget what I said about Blizzard. good for these modern CD free systems lol.

Obviously have never run into the stale mount left over in /Volumes thing then. Well I have and it does not make things easier when all your system is expecting a /Volumes/Drive there and you get a /Volumes/Drive 1. Then you need to unmount then rm -r the stale and mount again, better off having done reboot in between just to make sure you don't get a stale again.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.