Mounting Server Volume on Desktop???

Discussion in 'Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther) Discussion' started by groovebuster, Oct 29, 2003.

1. groovebuster macrumors 65816

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd rock from the sun...
    Is it just me, or is the new finder inconsistent how it handles connections to other servers?

In 10.3 you can easily browse the network, but if you access a server volume it never shows up on the desktop, it never shows up as an icon on the desktop... what a pain in the a**!!! You can't easily access you network volumes through the desktop icon anymore and you are not even aware if you established a connection to a server or not! Stupid.

If you want an icon on the desktop you need type the server "address" manually in the "Connect to server"-Dialog and you need to define a shortcut there! BUT of course you can't do it by drag and drop from the finder-window!

Stupid, stupid, stupid!!! I'm mad! They said that now it is even easier to browse a network, but how they implemented it is not eaiser at all. It is just Beta-Software! Apple, what's wrong with you??? :mad: :mad: :mad:

2. shadowfax macrumors 603

Sep 6, 2002
    Houston, TX
    it's annoying, but that doesn't make it beta. you sound like you needed something to be pissed about, anyway :p
  3. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

Mar 25, 2002
    London, England
  4. groovebuster thread starter macrumors 65816

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd rock from the sun...
    :D Thanks for the pill...

It just made me so mad, because it is really not usuable like this and I have to deal with Server Volumes in different LANs quite often...

Just the day before I found Fontbook to be absolutely useless. To major features implemented poorly... After all I paid 140,- € for Panther. It is very disappointing and actually I expected better from Apple, especially after they advertised those two features as reasons why the upgrade is worth it. So far for now not a lot is left that really gets me excited...

Okay, the boot time is faster as well as the finder in some situations, but that's almost about it. But on the other hand the finder still crashes when a mounted server share is not available on the network anymore. Tried that right away because that was one of the most annoying flaws of MacOS X.

I start to be not sure anymore if shelling out the money for Panther was worth it...

5. Schiffi macrumors 6502a

May 22, 2003
    IMHO, integrating Network browsing within Finder was a bad idea. Because, like you said, a missing network causes Finder to crash (not entirely, Finder timesout in about 3min, still a long time to be unable to look into folders). Also OSX needs some sort of "Disconnect from all Remote Drives" because when I started up today it prompted me if I wanted to connect to this networked computer that I browsed to yesterday. And if you are insterested, browse the networks in Column view. Sometimes it'll take you to "private:var:automount:Network:Workgroup:" a part of the drive that should never be seen.

Also for me iChat and open slower than in Jaguar.

Also I wished that when you ctrl+click on a networked computer a "Create alias" would appear and it'd of course prompt you for a saving location. Currently the process involved me making an alias to each shared folder.

I'm sure 10.3.1 or 10.3.2 will fix these problems, since those are basically the only things wrong with it.
  6. Chad4Mac macrumors 6502

Apr 20, 2002
    Los Angeles
    I couldn't agree more.

I connect to my domain at work just about every morning, and it is quite easy in Finder. However, when I leave work and go to my house, then conenct to my airport and try to browse some windows shared folders, I get these disconnect error measages -- a ton of them. It really slows down Finder.

How do I disconnect (eject?) my work domain so when I go home these messages don't so up?

This is my only problem with Panther.

Maybe I'm doing something wrong?

7. deelek macrumors newbie

Oct 30, 2003
    Mounting Server Volume on Desktop

Hey Chad4Mac- To eject a mounted volume try command+e. This has been 100% succesful for me. My problems have been 2. # 1, When browsing either through the finder or connect to server I'm not consistently seeing my other volumes. Sometimes yes sometimes no. # 2 and more frustrating is not being able to connect when they are seen. I get a finder hang with the following error message- this file server is running on your machine please access the volumes and files locally. This is not consistent either. At times I am able to connect and mount the volume. I certainly hope this problem is corrected in 10.3.1 Good Luck
  8. midiji macrumors newbie

Jan 9, 2004
    Dominican Republic
    It does better than ever. Follow on

Need to mount and volume(s) on your desktop and leaved there ?

1. Open your hard disc and thru the network icon navegate thru your network until the volume (disc or folder) is visible.

2. Drag it to your desktop pressing the Command and Option keys.

3. Have fun!!.

1. Fast as heel respond when accesing that volume.

2. Real volume will NOT load to your desktop the first time you use the short cut (and never more)

Hope this is usefull and please excuse my VERY bad english.

9. AnotherMortal macrumors regular

Jan 14, 2003
    Network dekstop icons

I read somewhere that this is actually considered a functionality not a hinderance. You can mount icons for servers on the desktop by using "connect to server" and typing in the server URL.

You can browse for the server, but the drawback is there won't be a desktop icon.

Personally, I find it terribly confusing and would rather have an option when connecting to mount an icon on the desktop.

If I am not mistaken though, the more UNIX savvy can use the disktool program from terminal to place an icon of mounted volumes on the desktop.