Mounting Volumes

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Kosher Terror, May 15, 2005.

1. Kosher Terror macrumors member

Ok, so heres the deal. I have Tiger, and I store my music folder on an external drive. The problem is, whenever I put my computer to sleep, when it wakes up, the drive will be unmounted and I will have to mount it myself again. (It was always mounted in Panther) Anyways, after awhile this can get pretty tedious. I was wondering if there was a way to make sure the drive stayed mounted, or is mounted upon my computer being woken from sleep.

2. redeye be macrumors 65816

redeye be

Strange.

What kind of drive is it, how do you connect it?
    Have you tried repairing permissions?

My external (Maxtor OneTouch II - Firewire) mounts without a problem, every time.

3. Kosher Terror thread starter macrumors member

Its a LaCie 160GB d2. I connect it to my computer using the Firewire 400 port, and I have repaired permissions. Also, the drive seems to mount fine when I log into accounts other than my own (the admin account).

Edit: Nevermind, it seems to have been fixed with 10.4.1

4. Kosher Terror thread starter macrumors member

Well, I thought the problem had been fixed with 10.4.1, but upon waking from sleep my drives are still not mounted. Any ideas?

5. redeye be macrumors 65816

redeye be

Check your preferences for your user. Check them all.
    If you can't find anything there, i'll guess you'll have to go the hardcore unix way.

Good luck

6. e²Studios macrumors 68020

e²Studios

This also happens when you switch users and then that user logs out, it will dismount the drive. This is a Tiger bug, i thought it would be fixed with 10.4.1 but unfortunately it wasn't :(

If you do a search there is a article i published on it with a link to a Apple support site, this is how i first found out it was a Tiger bug

Ed

7. After G macrumors 68000

After G

Would unchecking "put drives to sleep when possible" in the Energy Saver preference pane work? Just an idea ...

8. e²Studios macrumors 68020

e²Studios

Unfortunatly no it doesnt matter. I think they did it for security reasons so the volume closes when someone logs out, but its quite annoying to have to re mount the drive after someone else uses the mac and i switch back to my profile.

Ed