Mounts

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by stephanie, Nov 19, 2002.

1. stephanie macrumors member

OK, I have reformated my drive into 2 partitions, each formatted as HFS+

I want to create a folder in the root file system that points to one of the partitions, which will be the one that holds my personal files.

How do I do that in OS X? I want it to be a folder icon as well.

2. evildead macrumors 65816

evildead

just make an alias

just make an alias and put it anyplace you want... then do a get info on any folder, select the icon, copy, then do a get info on the alias, select the icon and then paste.

3. stephanie thread starter macrumors member

The get info command is not allowing me to change the objects icon. If it did, I would just change the hard disk icon to a file folder and put that into the root system and forget about making an alias.

Is there another way to change an objects icon?

4. sparkleytone macrumors 68020

sparkleytone

it already does this for you. the second partition is autoimatically mounted under its label in the /Volumes directory. it is mounted on boot, and you should have easy access to it through the finder.

if you want an alias in the / directory, then you can just create a symbolic link to the mount point. there would be no reason to have to mount the actual /dev/hd* yourself.

5. stephanie thread starter macrumors member

Couldnt I just simply change the disk icon that represents the mounted volume to be a file folder?

That would be so much easier.

6. evildead macrumors 65816

evildead

are you an admin?

are you an admin on your computer? I have no problem chaging icons on mine... you know .. I dont thing you being an admin would even matter

7. stephanie thread starter macrumors member

Yes, I am a goddess on my Mac.

I still cant figure out how to change icons on anything, not just the drive icon. It just doesnt want me to have my way with it through Get info.

This is so embarrassing too. I am usually really good at this stuff.