Mouse button problem on my MB.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by scott523, Nov 29, 2006.

1. scott523 macrumors 6502a

I bought a C2D MacBook 3 weeks ago and I'd say it's the best laptop ever (excluding the fact that my university doesn't seem to like the N-draft card hidden under the hood). However, I have a weird issue with the single mouse button my MacBook. The mouse creates a "double tap/click" (not sure how to say it) sound when clicking the mouse button completely to make a click.

To break it down a bit further, when the mouse button is pressed halfway before you 'feel the click', a sound is created that sounds like something is stuck underneath the mouse button. So, if I click at 'normal' speed, the sound would consist of a 2-stage click when in fact you're only clicking one time. No, I didn't spill anything, and if tiny crumb went in, I could just blow the crumb out of the crevice. Plus, the sound it creates occurs about 80% of the time and only when the upper portion of the mouse button is pressed. I also don't see anything 'stuck' in the gap between the trackpad and the mouse button.

This issue isn't that big but it's just getting on my nerves most of the time (imagine having that for up to 4 years) and would probably get worse as time passes. Also my thumb would fall on the upper portion (as do most people I assume) most of the time and not always on the lower portion of the mouse button where it has a relatively quiet one click sound.

So with that said, anybody think it's worth a trip to an Apple Store? I wonder what good would they do for this issue... :confused:

2. modernteknology macrumors newbie

scott523,

i am experiencing the exact same issue with the mouse button that you described. i recently purchased a 15' mac book pro, 2.33 intel core duo, and at first it was very intermittent, it didn't really bother me. now it has progressively become worse. it almost feels as if the mouse button gets hung up on the aluminum casing, but it's clear that it is not touching. i experience the two click sensation nearly 90% of the time and it has become really annoying here lately. I am curious if you ever did anything to resolve the issue. my machine is a couple months old, i am considering asking apple to exchange it. this is actually my 2nd machine. the first one arrived with a warped metal casing near where the lids open/close button is. also the open close button was intermittent too. please let me know what, if any resolution might have reached. thanks.

3. M@lew macrumors 68000

M@lew

Exactly my problem. Blowing under the mouse button temporarily fixes it...for a minute.

4. rafg macrumors newbie

I used compressed air on it from the top and sides. It fixed it!

5. M@lew macrumors 68000

M@lew

Did you take out the battery and do it from the inside or just did it from the outside?

6. rafg macrumors newbie

7. joekix macrumors 6502

joekix

that happened to me and i fixed it by taking out the battery and pushing in that part a little from the inside. worked like a charm. it actually made things a lot better.

8. M@lew macrumors 68000

M@lew

Could you please explain which part you pushed?

9. joekix macrumors 6502

joekix

when you take the battery out, you'll see the underneath the track pad. there's a silver metal plate. push it up in the area where you're hearing the double click. it worked for me. it as if it tightened the track pad up. hope i clarified it a little better.

10. modernteknology macrumors newbie

thanks for the suggestions! removing the battery and gently pushing upward on the thin metal piece (under the mouse button) seems to have helped. it still doesn't feel exactly right, but seems to have helped, for now at least.

11. eyespii macrumors 6502

I know this thread is a little bit old, but I've noticed the exact same problem with my SR MBP. The "double click" only occurs on the top part of the mouse button. I'll try pushing the area underneath the battery to see if that helps any. I really can't afford to send my notebook in to the apple store AGAIN just to have this problem fixed, but at the same time it's one of those things that's annoying enough to bother you.

12. eyespii macrumors 6502

Tried what the above posters recommended. It worked for a few seconds, but as soon as I powered up the problem came back. Ugh...I can deal with it I guess, but I'd rather not. If the apple store could fix it in an hour or something, I'd bring it in, but more than likely I'd have to be without the computer for a few days.

Anyone have good instructions on how to do a self-repair of a trackpad assembly? I happen to have a spare MBP trackpad that I can swap, but I have no clue how to do it or even how complicated it would be.

13. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Will have to replace the entire top of the chassis 'cause it's all one piece. Not worth your time.

14. b.rudge macrumors newbie

Swollen battery

I had a similar problem and found that my battery was slightly swollen which was pressing up below the trackpad just enough to stop it from being clickable. The short term fix is to remove the battery and use only with a power source. The long term fix is to get a new battery – this one has been playing up for a a few weeks now, so the swelling doesn't surprise me but is a reminder that I need a new battery.

See http://www.flickr.com/photos/89495529@N00/3083261700/sizes/l/