Mouse Cordless Bluetooth?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by zagato27, Sep 30, 2003.

1. zagato27 macrumors 65816

zagato27

My G5 1.6 w/ bluethooth ships 10/6. Already have my Dell 1901FP and I know that I'll need a replacement for the Apple mouse that comes with the G5. I want cordless and since I have bluetooth would like to take advantage of it. I've seen that Logitech has a bluetooth MX 900 and I'm considering. Also bluetooth from M$ but don't know if it is compatible. Lastly have seen a Kensington that is cordless but don't know if it is bluetooth. FYI, I'm using a Logitech Trackman Marble FX that I like but the rest of the family prefers a mouse. So, a mouse it is. Please give your recommendations and also best place to buy. Thks.

2. gotohamish macrumors 65816

gotohamish

Re: Mouse Cordless Bluetooth?

if you're okay with one button, go apple. if not, go logitech!

3. sigamy macrumors 65816

I'm in the same boat as you. I'm looking for a mouse to replace my standard Apple one button. Figured I may as well go wireless.

I'm pretty sure that the Kensington is using RF, not Bluetooth.

So, the only BT options are M$, Logitech's MX900, and Apple's one button. Wired M$ mice work fine and get great reviews here. I'm not sure about the BT one but it should work. The Logitech MX700 also gets great reviews so the MX900 should be similar. Both are fine choices.

I think I'm going to go for the Kensington based purely on style. But, BT is probably the way to go so maybe I'll email Kensignton and see if they have a BT mouse coming out soon.

4. jcook793 macrumors regular

I have a regular (RF) wireless M$ mouse at work and I really really like it. It fits my hand perfectly and has a good weight to it. Keep in mind I'm a programmer and not a Photoshopper though.

At home I have a Logitech MX700 wireless mouse which is still really good, but doesn't feel quite as good to me as the M$ one. I'm not sure how the Mac drivers are, but the ones Logitech makes for Windows seems to crash a lot. Nothing major, but suddenly the back/forward buttons stop working.

I do like the Logitech recharging cradle in theory, but realistically it just eats up desk space. For my M$ mouse at work I just keep a recharger and spare batteries handy, and when I get the first low battery warning I plug them in to charge and swap them out the next day (the low battery warning gives you plenty of time).

Those are just my thoughts on the wireless mouse matter. I might switch to Bluetooth once my G5 gets here too, still not sure if it's worth it to buy another mouse.

5. iPC macrumors 6502

iPC

there is another

www.belkin.com

It is not available for sale yet... but it is coming "soon."

6. phantommaul macrumors member

they are not mac compatible

i have checked the m$,belkin and logitech mouses but they are winXP only. so i think there is only one button mac option left :(

7. PaisanoMan macrumors member

Re: they are not mac compatible

I've read that as well, but I've heard many, many reports that they actually do work. The only caveat is that only three (of five) buttons are supported on the Microsoft mouse, not sure about the others.

8. iPC macrumors 6502

iPC

Out of the box, OS X 10.2.x supports multi-button mice, and scroll wheel. It's just that Apple lamely chooses to supply useless 1 button mice with their machines. I have a random Logitech 2 button with scroll wheel (usb) mouse that I just plug into my iBook whenever I want, and it just works. No config issues whatsoever. I had another MS mouse with the schnazzy side buttons for the forward / back function, that did not work (only side buttons didn't) back in the 10.0.x or 10.1.x days...

I would just buy it at a local retailer (Staples is probably best for this), take it home and try to use it. If it works, return it, buy another one online and save the cash. If it doesn't work, return it and tell them it doesn't work with your computer (won't be a lie this time ;)). Just don't mangle the packaging too much. Or, if it works, keep it.

It's all good.

9. gotohamish macrumors 65816

gotohamish

Build quality

I don't have built in bluetooth on my powerbook, so I'm not bothered if it has a cable or not as I'll be plugging something in the back regardless, and I'd rather it be a powered cable mouse than a massive hub/receiver.

I've just played with a bunch of new MS mice, and the build quality is awful. They feel SO cheap and light. And the wireless receivers are HUGE with really long cables, it HARDLY solves cable problems!

I can't wait until built in bluetooth is standard, and the mice run off batteries powered by kinetic energy, like those cool watches you can get now.

10. iPC macrumors 6502

iPC

Re: Build quality

My Rolex (new in 1971) does that kinetic energy bit. Not a new concept back then, and still requires some sort of back up "charging system" if left idle for too long. Not a very realistic idea for a mouse. Small Lithium ion battery would be nice, set into a chargin station every once in a while (MX700 does this I think). For a mouse, quality of workmanship seems to be highest with Logitech...