Mouse: Logitech or Microsoft

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by LEaf, Oct 23, 2003.

1. LEaf macrumors newbie

Hi. I'm thinking of getting mouse for my coming iBook. Would you recommend Microsoft Wireless Optical Mouse Blue or Logitech Cordless Optical Mouse? Thanks.

2. revenuee macrumors 68020

revenuee

Minimize Microsoft impact on your computer... get the logitech

3. BigHairyBuds macrumors member

logitech has a more accurate laser, and i find it requires only a flick of the wrist to move anywhere on screen (amazingly precise) where as my apple mouse required my to actually lift the mouse and reposition to finish my scroll. i've had the pleasure of using both microsoft and logitech lasers...microsoft is crap. logitech rules. get their diNuvo bluetooth keyboard when it comes out, it's sweet.

4. yamabushi macrumors 65816

yamabushi

I have a Logitec optical mouse and it has given me no problems. I didn't like the feel of most Microsoft mice I have tried.

5. jayscheuerle macrumors 68020

jayscheuerle

Lucky you! I use both.

At home, I have a Logitech optical, wireless scrollwheel mouse. I love everything about it.

At work, I have Microsoft optical, tethered scrollwheel mouse. The scrollwheel does not roll smoothly, but seems to step and even after I let off it, the page continues to scroll. Annoying.

I prefer the feel of the Logitech in my hand as well.

My vote goes for the Logitech. - j

6. LEaf thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks!

OK. Thanks for the advice. I will keep a look out for Logictech when I go shopping for my mouse.

7. Kid Red macrumors 65816

Yea, Logitech. Get the MX series. I have the MX 300 but the 500 & 700 look cool.

8. Giaguara macrumors 6502a

Yea, definitelly Logitech.

Anything but Microsoft. Doesn't it make you feel good to have a M$-free computer? :D

9. revenuee macrumors 68020

revenuee

exactly... thank god for safari .. .no more need for IE

10. G4scott macrumors 68020

G4scott

Is this the logitech you're looking at? http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm?p...ID=3&CONTENTID=7110&countryid=19&languageid=1

It seems like a nice mouse. It's weird that it says it only works with windows. I'm sure that if it's a standard bluetooth device, it should work with the built in bluetooth in PowerBooks and iBooks. And I don't think I need the bluetooth-hub/ charger because I have the built-in bluetooth, and I have a NiMH battery charger that works just fine... Maybe I'll sell it, if I get this mouse. I too am looking for a bluetooth mouse, and it's between the Microsoft and Logitech one.

Does anybody with a logitech mouse know if it works? (although I doubt many people would have one, because I don't think they're shipping yet...)

11. fraeone macrumors regular

fraeone

My Logitech cordless optical mouse is OK for normal desktop work, but it sucks big time for playing games. The slower refresh rate on the optical model makes games seem very jerky. I have heard that the MX700 may alleviate these problems, but if you're looking at the cheaper "Cordless Optical Mouse" that is found in the Elite Duo set and is also sold standalone, I would say no way.

I have a couple of MS Mice, which I felt sort of sheepish buying, but every time I call MS to tell them the mouse is worn out, and I want a new one, it makes me feel that much better. (All MS Mice have lifetime warranties) Which isn't to suggest that MS Mice wear out quickly, they usually last 2 years or so before they start to breakdown.

12. FuzzyBallz macrumors 6502a

FuzzyBallz

For wireless, no one can top Logitech. Been using the Navigator Duo for my dual G4 and it's sooo damn smooth. But it can't beat the MX Duo I'm using at home. Although I'm planning on selling the MX Duo and gettting the new diNovo set when it comes out. Damn, that's on damn good looking set. But the $250 price tag's a little too steep.

13. flyfish29 macrumors 68020

flyfish29

I have never had to replace a mouse in my life...use them with each computer for about 4 or so years with no problems...had to clean the old type with the ball inside, but never defective, so I beg to differ that MS makes crap...I would say a product life of 2 years is Walmart quality stuff.

My second point is did anyone really expect someone to really say "I love MS mice...buy lots of them...they are terrific...I live to serve at the master of MS"

Just wondering...I haver heard logitec stuff is great and loved everything I have had from them in the past, but don't know about gaming uses of mice.

Johnny

14. revenuee macrumors 68020

revenuee

I had to buy a new mouse cause the apple mouse broke after about 3 years - i'm talking the circle one that first came with the imacs

EDIT: i use the basic logitec optical mouse - the navi or something like that - for Deus EX and it is awsome... never had a problem

15. strider42 macrumors 65816

strider42

I don't know about the mice in questions, but frankly, my experience is that microsofts hardware is actually very good (though pricey) my optical trackball is just awesome and so much better designed than any i've used before. Button placements, shape, sensitivity, it was all perfect. I'd certainly buy one again if I needed to, but I've had this one for three years and its been perfect.

16. Archaeopteryx macrumors regular

I have a MS optical mouse a logitec .. and a Saitek W06 Optical Mouse Pro (USB)

You want babes admiring your mouse.. get a Saitek.. it just looks pimp... You want function get a MS optical.. Logitec is great but at least the one i own is smaller so its harder to game with, and doesnt have the side "foward and back" buttons, wich I am so used to.. then again neither does the Saitek...

17. FuzzyBallz macrumors 6502a

FuzzyBallz

Don't want to ruin your pimp wannabe mode, but that Saitek screams cheap. Everyone knows the Logitech MX700 is the pimp daddy of all coreless mouse.

Anyway, I'd also like to add I've been using the MS IntelliMouse Optical for the past 2 years and it's still going strong w/o problems.

18. BigHairyBuds macrumors member

Have you adjusted the mouse scroll speed in preferences? With speed all the way up Apple's Pro Mouse is a turtle, but the Logitech is literally too fast for comfortable use. I find about 3/4 total speed to be a good balance. I'm not sure what model I have....I know it's not the MX series, runs on radio waves, and uses AA batteries...probably3-4 years old and going strong. My cats knock it off the desk nightly (think laser is a toy), so this baby is rugged. Logitech is l33t.

19. BigHairyBuds macrumors member

yes sir...a few girls the other day were so enamored by my pimped out mouse...they offered to let me sell them and retain 90% of the profit...best money i ever spent. Thanks Saitek.

20. LEaf thread starter macrumors newbie

Very interesting discussion. Thank you for your input. Perhaps both Logitech and Microsoft mice are OK.

I didn't see Logitech Wireless Optical during my last shopping trip though.

I used to believe in Microsoft-Free, but as long as Open Office is not good enough and compatible enough yet, I think it will take a lot of time, money, and effort. Don't you think so?

21. Archaeopteryx macrumors regular

I own all 3 mice.. they have all worked great.. sure Saitek isnt the highest quality but I belive its higher "pimp" status then a MS optical...

22. revenuee macrumors 68020

revenuee

Microsoft Free as possible... i run MS OFFICE and messenger because i don't live in a windows free world...

23. LEaf thread starter macrumors newbie

Very good point.

We can be MS free among ourselves, but the problem is we need to work with others, who are mostly using MS.

The comparison with the fact that BMW only has 3% of the automobile market (or something like that) is flawed. BMW drivers can buy and use petrol and accessories from anybody, anywhere. Mac users cannot buy and use software and accessories with the same ease.

When BMW drivers can only top-up their petrol from 3% of the petrol stations around the world (no matter how much better the BMW petrol claims to be), then the comparison is valid.

24. reflex macrumors 6502a

I like both of them. When I need a mouse, which one (MS or Logitech) I get depends on which one I see first or is slightly cheaper.

25. reflex macrumors 6502a

You can get the same harddisk and memory for a mac as for a pc.

BMW drivers can't get a replacement steering wheel or seat from just anywhere (unless they're ok with their car not looking like a BMW anymore).