Mouse options just like Linux

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by skp574, Feb 16, 2005.

1. skp574 macrumors 6502

When I was at university someone setup my old PC to run Linux which was a great for programming.

Anyway I remember having the mouse setup so all I had to do was move it over a window so it became active, but still be in the background. Great for programming.

I can't for the life of me remember what it was called but think it is something native for X11. I was running KDE at the time.

Is there anything for the Mac?

Cheers

2. daveL macrumors 68020

daveL

The only way I know to do this is purchase Virtual Desktop; it's one of the preferences. You can get some added mouse control using USB Overdrive (free), but not the window focus option you want.

If anyone knows of a light weight solution, I'd also be interested. Virtual Desktop is a bit heavy and expensive for my needs.

3. mduser63 macrumors 68040

mduser63

If you want to enable this behavior just for X11 apps, open terminal and type the following:

defaults write com.apple.x11 wm_ffm -bool true

You can enable it for Terminal by typing the following in terminal:

defaults write com.apple.Terminal FocusFollowsMouse -string YES

I don't know of a way to extend it to all Mac OS X apps without the use of Virtual Desktop Manager, but there may be a way.

4. daveL macrumors 68020

daveL

Thanks for the Terminal tip; I just applied it, and it works fine. This will be great when I have a lot of active Terminal windows. I keep hoping Tiger will add a tabbing capability to Terminal ala gnome-terminal in Linux. I'd still like to get this window focus preference on *all* windows.