mouse pad recommendations?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by ~L~, Sep 13, 2006.

1. ~L~ macrumors member

Aug 15, 2006
    hey everyone, I've been looking for a new mouse mat to go with a new wireless mouse I'm about to buy, I'd like it to be fairly comfortable to use (i.e. maybe with a wrist rest?) and it has to be really smooth with optical mice. Mainly used for day to day stuff, no gaming or anything too intensive. Probably willing to spend about £20 or so, so do you guys have any recommendations?
  2. funcman macrumors newbie

Aug 10, 2006
    The iRest seems to fit what you need, and looks pretty slick. It's about $20USD. Not sure how much shipping is though.
  3. sierra oscar macrumors 6502

Apr 23, 2006
    South Australia, Australia
    I actually use (roughly an A3 size) self healing cutting mat as a mouse pad. It's the best surface I've ever used for any mouse - b/c it's flat and hard enough to make wonderful contact with the mouse, but's it's not too hard to make resting one's arm/hand on it uncomfortable.

I got the idea from a mouse I purchased in the late 80's - it was a genius mouse for a PC and had one of these included as a mouse mat - same material. After using many different surfaces since - nothing compares to the sem-hard rubber of these mats (not sure exactly if they are rubber - but it feels like it).

edit: that iRest is pretty sweet though funcman - out of curiosity I had a good look at it - however this product is only about US$20.00 but when I looked at shipping - that alone was US$41.90 - with no other option. I guess they don't make or want many international sales. That would make my mouse mat purchase over AU$80.00 odd dollars - ouch.
  4. SmurfBoxMasta macrumors 65816

Nov 24, 2005
    I'm only really here at night.
    uummm........the whole point in buying an optical mouse is to do away with mouse pads :D

some people used to say that some optical mice didnt work too well if your desk was made of clear glass, but I'm not sure if that is still true or not. The last 3 mice I've tried recently (MS, Kensington & Logitech) all worked fine on my wife's glass table.....

And yea, that irest thing is cool looking and all, but $20 (+ shipping) for a friggin mouse pad, WTH ?????????