mouse prototype

Discussion in 'Apple Collectors' started by omarbad, Nov 30, 2005.

1. omarbad macrumors newbie

I was just curious if anybody had a general idea of what an original apple mouse prototype would be worth. My dad used to be a quality control inspector back in the early '80's with apple and he was able to keep a clear, prototype mouse he inspected when they were getting ready for production. He claims there weren't more than a half dozen made. He's had it sitting in his office desk for over 20 years and I came across it again while visiting for thanksgiving and thought we should figure out if it has any real value or is just a cool reminder of his days there. If anybody has any thoughts on that, I'd love to hear it. Thanks in advance.

2. strider42 macrumors 65816

strider42

I personally wouldn't think its worth that much. People want things like the first Mac 128, the apple Lisa, the Apple I: things that were in production or things directly tied to famous machines. this may be rare, but since not many people even know it exists, how much demand can there be, and if there's little demand, the price won't be that high. Plus, all in all, its just a mouse. that's not like a full machine or anything. its more of a curiosity and something cool than something valuable in my mind.

Now, if it was attached to a prototype Mac 128 or something, you might have something really unique and probably relatively valuable.

3. macEfan macrumors 65816

macEfan

Forbidden, you do not have access to that server
    i am sure it has some value, as it is defintly rare. is the mouse cord clear also?

4. omarbad thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks for the replies... I don't actually have a photo of it, I forgot to take one before I left but I don't remember the cord being clear...in fact, I don't even recall if there is a cord attached to it. Guess I should have a little more info before posting next time! If I ever do get a photo of it, I'll be sure to follow up....thanks again.

5. macg4 macrumors 6502a

macg4

6. chatin macrumors 6502

chatin

Apple Mouse #293

Mouse #293, circa 1980. This was a prototype of the Apple Lisa mouse, and was used in-house for Apple development and testing.

It has a steel ball and is cleanable by removing the two screws on top!

A working one is worth over $400. I paid nearly that for this one on eBay!

:eek: (Mine isn't working!)

[​IMG]

#293 pre-production prototype like you would have seen around the Apple offices in the early 80's.

[​IMG]

The top view looks like the original Lisa mouse but with a black cord.

7. MacEffects macrumors 6502

There seems to be at least 2-3 times a year a Lisa Prototype mouse on eBay, are you guys buying the same one and reselling it:rolleyes: . I think it would depend on the model, and exact copyright year. But if it is indeed a clear EVT model, I am sure its worth a pretty penny.