Mouse randomly activates expose/dashboard, jumps to other side of the screen

Discussion in 'macOS' started by mdavey, Nov 16, 2005.

1. mdavey macrumors 6502a

mdavey

Hi,

I am having a problem with my mouse and think it might be an OS X driver issue. At least one other user seems to be suffering exactly the same symptoms, but with a different mouse (Apple Mighty Mouse vs OEM mouse) I am posting here to see if others are experiencing the same problem.

2. James Philp macrumors 65816

James Philp

I know this sounds basic, but have you gone to system preferences>keyboard & mouse>mouse and fiddled with the options?
    I take it you own a mighty mouse and have installed the software on the CD it came with?

3. Kernow macrumors 65816

Kernow

I used to have a similar pointing jumping problem, but it was solved when I got a decent mouse mat. I think if you are using an optical mouse on a shiny surface, the tracking can go screwy and the pointer jumps. This has happened with all optical mice that I have used, and has always been solved by the mouse mat.

For the random expose/dashboard issue, do you have any of the hot corners activated. If the mouse was jumping to one of these corners, then this would activate it.

4. mdavey thread starter macrumors 6502a

mdavey

I don't have a mighty mouse, but Zim does. We both experience the same problems (that isn't to say that the cause is definately the same, but it seems likely).

I do have a hot corner active for dashboard, but not for expose. Both dashboard and expose will randomly activate. For me, this is a very intermittent problem, I might only see it a few times a day of heavy usage.

Thinking about it a bit more, it might be related to load - I *think* it only happens when the system is working fairly hard, such as launching a new application or doing a save. I haven't found a way to make it happen on demand and doesn't seem to be tied to a particular type of operation.

5. DXoverDY macrumors 6502a

get a nice mouse mat and make sure it's clean and the area in front of the lens is clear of debris too. i had the same problem, it was fixed by switching out my mat and clearing some stray hair outta the view of the camera in the optical mouse.

6. SummerBreeze macrumors 6502a

SummerBreeze

Yep, mousemat problem. Happens to me when I use the cheap mousemat that I bought off ebay. Now I know better than to do that again.

7. corywoolf macrumors 65816

corywoolf

Same thing happens with my logitech optical mouse, OS X has some issues with non apple mice.

8. satans_banjo macrumors regular

yeah it'll be the surface. since the mice are optical, if you have an oddly-patterned surface then it jumps around. not sure about the exposé thing

9. ijimk macrumors 6502a

ijimk

i have also had this problem. Be sure to check the hole where the mouse laser comes out for any loose dust or hair... this throws the laser out of wack...

hope it helps. :D

10. mdavey thread starter macrumors 6502a

mdavey

I will try switching mousemats. I use a cloth one at the moment, but I've got several others here I can try (haven't we all ;) ).

But I don't understand why the mousemat would cause Exposé to randomly activate - I have it assigned to the middle button (scrollwheel) and not a hot corner. The scrollwheel has a very definate microswitch mechanical click sound associated with it - I`ve tried to gently click it so that the click will register without making the sound - it just isn't possible.

Maybe I'll try swapping the mouse with a friends' for a bit. I was kinda expecting lots of "me too" posts - looks like it isn't a common phenomenon.

11. DXoverDY macrumors 6502a

is it wireless? might be a flakey mouse if so. i am using a Logitech MX900 (bluetooth for those who don't know or use this mouse) and it works perfectly fine, i use it everyday.

12. neocell macrumors 65816

neocell

I have that same problem with one of the Macs at work that's mated to a cheap Microsoft scroll wheel mouse (can't remember the model). It causes the cursor to jump all over the place and with my hot-corners active, exposé gets a real workout. I'm sure it's the mouse itself as we have a pc with the same type of mouse and it bounces all over the place in windows as well. Crappy Microsoft mice (mouses).

13. Xeem macrumors 6502a

Xeem

14. usingautumn macrumors newbie

i had the same problem with my standard apple mouse, i went and bought a standard white Micro$oft optical mouse and it was fine. I think the microsoft mice work better on any surface without a mouse mat.

15. Makosuke macrumors 603

Knowing what kind of mouse it is would help, but in any case OEM mice shouldn't be an issue; I use two (an Mx500 at home with Logitec drivers, a funky IBM-brand ergonomic at work with no additional drivers) without a single issue ('cept the IBM sometimes doesn't like to wake from sleep, but that's its problem not the MacOS), and there is at least one ancient Microsoft Intellimouse floating around work that I've never heard any complaints about.

The spastic issue alone, like everyone is saying, sounds a lot like a mouse surface the optical sensor doesn't like. Sharp lines will do it every time, but I've noticed that on a textured but completely black mousepad at home if I mouse "against the grain" of the fabric some optical mice go nuts. Using a white piece of paper is a pretty easy way to test for this issue.

The Expose thing, if you have no hot corners, has got to be something different. I have real trouble imagining that the MacOS is going to randomly register button presses where there are none, and if it uses physical switches it's not going to be accidental presses or due to interference. That only leaves two possibilities: Bluetooth interference (thrashing I can imagine, though I find it odd that it'd cause random click signals), or a bum mouse.

So... have you tried using the mouse somewhere else physically, and/or with a different computer to see if the behavior is the same?

16. mdavey thread starter macrumors 6502a

mdavey

It is a OEM mouse, with USB connector. It has no markings on it at all except:

OPTICAL MOUSE
    S/N 04B0 15556
    FCC-logo Tested To Comply With FCC Standards
    FOR HOME OR OFFICE USE
    RATING: 5V=, 100mA
    MADE IN CHINA CE-logo

Interestingly, on revisiting this thread I realise that I haven't had an Exposé activation for ages. Since creating this thread, I've installed the security update and 10.4.4 then 10.4.5 updates.

No, I still need to try that. I think I'll try swapping over with my work one for a while. I still get the mouse-flying-to-edge-of-screen problem, but I think that might be in part because I have a habit of lifting the mouse slightly at the beginning of a maneuver. I don't have this problem in Windows, so I guess it is ignoring (filtering out) sudden rapid mouse movements at the software driver level.

17. johan_tanying macrumors member

Optical mice (of any brand) does not like

Dirty mouse pads or desks
    Black mouse pads or desks
    High-contrast patterned mouse pads or desks

which includes the big culprit in the world of jumping mice:

Wooden desktops (with high-contrast wood grain)

I guess there are more problematic colours /patterns. My evenly coloured red mouse pad also makes my mouse jump sometimes - but it may also be that it is dirty... :eek: