Mouse Recommendations? Microsoft?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by ump3, Dec 30, 2004.

1. ump3 macrumors member

ump3

has anyone got any of the Microsoft mice? Are they any good? if not has anyone got ANY non Apple mice they are happy with?
    I want to get a new mouse and quite like the idea of programmable buttons.

Thanks

2. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

3. sjpetry macrumors 65816

sjpetry

4. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

While Microsoft mice are nice, I recommend Logitech. The MX510, MX700, MX900 or the MX1000, depending on your preferences. All excellent mice.

5. thepigstye macrumors newbie

Trackball

If you are willing to take the time to adjust, the Logitech Trackman Wheel, is a great piece of kit, but not everyone likes trackballs.

6. Duff-Man macrumors 68030

Duff-Man

Duff-Man says...look at the Logitech stuff and also the Kensington stuff - both those companies make a wide variety of mice and trackballs with assorted buttons, wheels etc....try a few and see which feels best in *your* hand.....oh yeah!

7. thecow macrumors 6502

I have that mouse and it is awesome!!! I charged it up on december 23rd and it still has a full charge. That might be because I only got to use it for a day before my backlight broke on my PowerBook.

8. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

The battery is great, It's been well over a week since I charged mine :cool:

9. ump3 thread starter macrumors member

ump3

Anyone used the Logitech MX510? I didn't really want a cordless mouse.

Cheers

10. thecow macrumors 6502

That one's fine too.

11. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

or

[​IMG]

http://www.kensington.com/html/4771.html

I like mine very much!

12. homerjward macrumors 68030

homerjward

great mouse, but i can only either get it to work with expose or safari, not both, and only 4 buttons get recognized in games...

13. Logik macrumors 6502a

I have a MX900.. not so impressed with battery life... lasts about a day of my normal usage... got it christmas.. charged it every day since... disappointing.. I'd have gotten the MX1000 if it was bluetooth.. but.. it isn't.. sadly

14. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

If you want wireless, get the Logitech MX1000. If you always it at your computer when mousing and therefore don't care about cords, the MX510 is basically its wired counterpart, sans the laser. Regardless, it's an excellent mouse, and from what I've read, the laser doesn't make a huge difference. For the MX1000, the batteries hold charge a long time, you can go practically weeks without needing to put it in its cradle.

15. ump3 thread starter macrumors member

ump3

Is the MX510 100% Mac compatible?

if you look at this link

MX510 software d/l

there isn't a Mac link on the left, but there is for all the others (I'm interested in also)

MX500 software d/l

&

MX310 software d/l

or is that just an oversight on the website?

?? thanks

16. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

I can assure you the MX510 is quite Mac-compatible as that is the exact mouse I am using right now on my Mac and have never had any troubles with it. :p :cool:

17. iLikeMyiMac macrumors 6502a

iLikeMyiMac

I'm pretty happy with my Microsoft Wireless Optical Mouse 2.0
    Link
    I got it for $8 so it was a deal.

18. vollspacken macrumors 65816

vollspacken

I have this mouse from Microsoft and I love it:

Microsoft Optical Mouse Blue

[​IMG]

I always liked Microsoft mice...

vSpacken

19. cluthz macrumors 68040

cluthz

The mx510 is mac compatible. You can use left/right button+ scrollwheel and map the rest of the buttons to exposé.

If you get USB overdrive (very nice app, only costs a few $) you can assign different tasks to all buttons.

20. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

So, did you just not read my post at all saying the exact same thing, or were you just wanting to get an extra post under your belt? :p ;) :cool:

21. CrackedButter macrumors 68040

CrackedButter

I also have this mouse and feel dirty when I use it, but it does what it's supposed to do. I did have a MacMouse before that but I got pissed off with its cheap look and crap design. Its the one that it the cure to Apples one button mouse, the one Apple should make but with the second button and scroll wheel. Don't buy that btw.

22. ump3 thread starter macrumors member

ump3

I got myself an MX 510 in the end. Absolutely brilliant! I almost don't know how I got on without it. I went along to PC World first just to 'have a feel' of some mice. I found the Microsoft mices extra buttons were quite hard to reach without moving my hand on the mouse, but the Logitechs felt fine. Really happy with it. Must admit I don't use the 'cruise control' buttons much which do the same as rolling the wheel. The Application switcher button is quite hard to reach too.

23. takao macrumors 68040

takao

personally i've got a Microsoft intellimouse explorer (one of the early ones with the big buttons on the side) and it's very nice but over the years (hm don't know about the year..might be already 4 years) the shiny finish kinda faded (heavy user) ;)

except that it works fine and had no problems with it...the scrolling wheel is very is to turn but i actually like that compared to the newer ones where it moves rather slowly

with all the other mice i used from them i haven't had any problemeither ... mice are perhaps the best products microsoft produces

same with logitech: no problems so far

i would consider them as equal quality

24. panphage macrumors 6502

I have both a first-gen MS Intellimouse explorer and a sweet Kensington optical elite (Black and silver: Nice. URL: http://kensington.com/html/4011.html) and both are great. The kensington I can't get to do forward/back in finder, but otherwise it's very nice and matched my Apple Pro Keyboard perfectly and my Cube decently. I wish they made the exact same mouse in a bluetooth version. Most mice I don't like the look or feel of, partly because I'm a lefty and everything is ergonomically backwards.

On the subject of bluetooth mice, why does every single company have to be retarded? It's bluetooth, the mouse doesn't have to be blue. Get a @#$%ing clue! No one's buying it because it's UGLY, not because there's no market for bluetooth peripherals. Sheesh.

25. Yvan256 macrumors 601

Yvan256

No way I'd soil a Mac by attaching a Microsoft mouse to it. :D

I've always been happy with Logitech mice, and I'll be using my ergonimic 3-buttons+scrollwheel Logitech mouse when I get a Mac mini.