Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Scottyk9

macrumors 6502a
Jun 18, 2004
Canada
Try mousezoom (freeware, search versiontracker). I use it for my MS BT mouse on my PB, and it greatly increases the speed.

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
daveway00 said:
Is there a way to speed up the mouse tracking speed even faster then what is allowed in system preferences?
I did some poking around, and found the mouse tracking speed setting. You'll need to use the Terminal for this, as well as the Property List Editor tool that's part of XCode. The setting is inside this file: "~/Library/Preferences/.GlobalPreferences.plist" (without the quotes). You'll need to make that file visible by copying it (using the cp command - cp source destination) to a filename without a period in front of it (I used test.plist). Then, drag that test.plist file to Property List Editor (found in /Developer/Applications/Utilities) and look for a setting called com.apple.mouse.scaling. Its normal maximum value is 3.000000 - change that to something bigger. Save the edited file, then go back into Terminal and use cp again to replace the original .GlobalPreferences.plist file with the edited one. Once that's done, log out and back in for the change to take effect.

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
yippy said:
If I used tinkertools to make all files visible, couldn't I just open the original file from Finder?
If TinkerTools shows files with a period in front of their names, then yes - you would not need to use the Terminal.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.