Mousebite: The RSI thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by Blue Velvet, Nov 28, 2004.

1. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Jul 4, 2004
    Not a particularly enjoyable topic but I'd be interested in hearing about other people's problems & solutions to RSI.

Am currently experiencing severe pain on the top of my right hand which I thought at first was a sprained index finger but seems to be worsened by extended spells on the Mac at home & at work.

Have been through various niggling stages of elbow or wrist pain which have gone away after a few weeks but this is a bit more painful than before.

At home, I use a gel-filled keyboard rest and a mouse-mat one too.

Anyway, share your RSI-related woes with us, if you have them...
  2. iGav macrumors G3

Mar 9, 2002
    Have you tried switching to a Wacom?? I find them to be infinitely less stressful to use than a mouse and a 1000x more natural and intuitive especially as a designer.

The only real problem I have is with my right wrist, which I broke badly several years ago and has been weak ever since, to the point where in cold and damp weather I used to struggle to even grip a pen (I suffered badly wth it at school). I find that a sports wrist support bandage does help alot, the added warmth and pressure just seems to ease the problem significantly and most of the time I'm fine now. :)
  3. Blue Velvet thread starter Moderator emeritus

Jul 4, 2004
    It's something that has been discussed at work for the 3 designers...

I can't imagine type-setting a 200+pg directory on Quark using one (this weeks lovely & much-anticipated job) although I probably just need a good hands-on demo.

Didn't spot any at the Regent St. Apple Store, though. May have to check out Square Group or similar.
  4. broken_keyboard macrumors 65816

Apr 19, 2004
    Secret Moon base
    RSI is not physical, it is a mental problem of people who subconsciously resent having to use computers.
  5. Blue Velvet thread starter Moderator emeritus

Jul 4, 2004

So tennis elbow is a mental problem of people who subconsciously hate tennis?

Let's hear more of this well-informed revelatory medical knowledge...

Edit: After all, I'm sure DSM IV has a lot to say about RSI...
  6. jimjiminyjim macrumors 6502

Feb 24, 2003
    At first I was going to suggest something like quicksilver, cause it sure replace a lot of mouse work for me. Then I realized that you do real work on your computers, and, well, all I can offer is my sympathy.... Maybe switch it up for a touch pad everyonce and a while... like... um... a good one?
  7. iGav macrumors G3

Mar 9, 2002
    20 years ago designers would've said the same thing about the mouse :p
  8. Blue Velvet thread starter Moderator emeritus

Jul 4, 2004
    Heh-heh-heh... :)
  9. WinterMute Moderator emeritus

Jan 19, 2003
    London, England
    I've got carpal tunnel damage in my left wrist from an aikido injury, hurts like a sod sometimes in wet/cold weather. I find that doubled over tubi-grip and a tube of ibuleve gel works wonders.

I also use a trackpad or a track ball, as it uses less radial movement in the wrist, although it doesn't help when typing.

Make sure your wrists are level when working, get a good chair if you haven't already got one. Try to minimise the amount of time your wrist stays bent.

Get someone else to do the work?

Occupational health compensation claim?

I see a new Mac on the horizon... :p ;)
  10. russed macrumors 68000

Jan 16, 2004
    London, England
    back in my windows days on my dell i started suffering really badly from rsi (like to the point that i could only type a few letters before it started hurting) so my parents go me the microsoft natural keyboard and apart from it being odd at first, once you get used to it i could type far quicker nd i never felt any pain again with it. i still fell a bit of pain when i do quite a bit of typing on flat keyboards (not laptops though). as far as i know you will never get rid of it as its due to you getting lumps or something on your tendons. i think however the problem will ease over time.