Moustaches

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Guitarius, Sep 29, 2005.

1. Guitarius macrumors 6502a

Guitarius

I found myself looking at my step-father today and found myself thinking about his moustache. I realized just how silly the whole concept of it is. It's hair that sits on the upper lip. Somehow I couldn't picture him without it. He's had since he he was in his 20's, a lot longer that I've known him. It's almost a part of him.

I have a full beard myself, but for some reason I don't find that concept as silly as just having a moustache. Not to say that moustaches are silly, just the idea of them really. I've been considering shaving off my beard and leaving only my moustache for a while. Doubt I'll do it, because I like my beard. It was just a thought I have.

Anyone else have a moustache? Anyone else agree with me?

2. vniow macrumors G4

Moustaches...

...freak me out every time I've kissed a guy.

3. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Even if the guy didn't have a moustache?

4. vniow macrumors G4

Dunno, only guys I ever kissed had at least some stubble. Eew.

5. w_parietti22 macrumors 68020

6. wrc fan macrumors 65816

wrc fan

In a world where LPs are made like pancakes
    I hate moustaches. I also hate those little patches underneath the lip that guys sometimes have. Goatees in general I dislike, though there are some guys who look better with them. I like a little stubble like that cowboy who's been out on the range for a few days look, but not a full beard. That's usually the look I've got... really! I have a trimmer I use to trim it so it looks like that. Am I weird, or do other guys do that?

7. Guitarius thread starter macrumors 6502a

Guitarius

Are you weird, or is the act weird? I know other people that do that, but I still think it's a little weird to do. But whatever you like I say. I've had a beard since I was 17.

8. wrc fan macrumors 65816

wrc fan

Since you were 17! Wow! I still wasn't shaving every day when I was 22! I was able to grow sideburns I think when I was 21... anyway, I think part of the reason I do it, besides the fact that I think it looks sexy (did I just say that about myself?) is that I also hate shaving, so I can do this once a week instead of shaving every day.

9. broken_keyboard macrumors 65816

broken_keyboard

Lots of fashion things seem pretty silly if you look at them long enough...

10. wrc fan macrumors 65816

wrc fan

I was also reading this news article about Japan, and I thought it was a cool idea to get electrolysis. I'd be more than happy to never have to shave again. If only it were cheaper and not painful...

11. Grey Beard macrumors 65816

Grey Beard

Yep Dave, I guess I have a 'tache, good for the beer froth, but it also holds the rest of my vanDyke beard from falling off my face. Hides the bruises too when you're too out of it and do a face plant.
    Kevin,
    aka Grey Beard

12. Grey Beard macrumors 65816

Grey Beard

ahh... where is it

Hey vniow, where exactly was the moustache ? On the guy or you ? And yes the first time I kissed a guy with facial fungus it freaked me a bit, and now it's an acquired taste. Yum.
    Kevin,
    aka Grey Beard

13. iSaint macrumors 603

iSaint

I've had a goatee since right after my daughter was born, almost 12 years. I never thought I'd keep facial hair of any sort, but now it's a part of me. Kinda freaks my mom out because it makes me look like her father sometimes. I keep it neatly trimmed. No way could I wear a moustache.

14. katchow macrumors 6502

i'm just biding my time till the handlebar moustaches come back in style :p

15. Guitarius thread starter macrumors 6502a

Guitarius

Hey, Morgan Spurlock had one. Maybe you should just make a documentary and make them come back in style.

16. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

I whole heartedly agree.
    Almost perfect... I like what is for most Caucasians I've seen, would amount to one or maybe two days of stubble. Mmm... that's hot. Just rough enough to stimulate but still somewhat 'soft.' I've no experiences w/ moustaches, goatees, beards (as far as kissing) but I just don't prefer that look.

17. dcv macrumors G3

Well, being female, I'm very glad that I don't have a moustache! (Believe me I've seen some girls that do... *eek*)

Can't say i'm a huge fan of facial hair myself (and yes i'm talking about men now)... but a slightly stubbled rugged look can be very sexy.... like the guy who plays Sawyer in "Lost". mmmmm ;)

18. Guitarius thread starter macrumors 6502a

Guitarius

A man isn't a man unless he hair on his face and a big piece of meat to eat.

19. joepunk macrumors 68030

joepunk

I don't understand the attraction that some guys have with wanting to grow a soul patch, it's the little patch of hair that is grown right under the lips for those who don't know.

Now the whole stubble, rugged, two day old growth look is quite alright IMO. I actually kind of like it on some people, even myself sometimes.

My dad's grandfather, who served in WWI on the German side, came back from the war with brown hair and a red beard.

20. mcadam macrumors 6502a

mcadam

Where I'm from (Copenhagen, DK) it's only people from the countryside who've got a mustache - police officers, soldiers and people working in banks. And then very trendy arty people, who like to keep hair and beard styles like swedish farmers.

A friend of mine once said that as girls tend to shave most of their body for our sake, the least we can do is shave our faces. I have a fullbeard though. Which my girlfriend don't want to be to long, but she doesn't want me to take it away either.

A

21. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

I've never understood how some people (like Yasser Arafat) can ALWAYS look like they haven't shaved in three days. I mean, do they shave and [poof] immediately new facial hair springs out to the three-day length? ;)

Personally, I won't grow facial hair for a couple of reasons... one, I think it looks silly on most people (although my Dad has a full beard and mustache now)... and two, I lack "connectors"; there are a couple of spots, right at the edges of my lips, where there is NO facial hair. So if I don't shave, I end up with a mustache and a totally separate beard. Looks really stupid.

22. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    I'm always surprised when in the US by how much facial hair there is. There appear to be many more moustaches than in the UK.

I'm not a big fan of moustaches or beards on guys. Even goatees can look a little odd unless the rest of the guy's image goes with it. One of my ex's had very fast-growing hair; he really needed to shave again by 6pm at night and stubble just didn't look right on him. Guys with stubble either look really sexy or really scruffy... perhaps it depends on the occasion.

I know one girl (though not well enough to tell her!) who has very dark sideburns and a moustache... oh dear... there's really no excuse!

23. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

I have a full beard

Had it for years, had to shave for a job for a while, now have had it back for years

Funny, I have dreams sometimes where I shave it and panic... what's up with that?

Woof, Woof – Dawg [​IMG]

24. dcv macrumors G3

I would like to clarify that the Yasser Arafat sort of rugged beard is indeed NOT sexy.

25. mcadam macrumors 6502a

mcadam

Don't know about Arafat, but the Danish primeminister fx has to shave 3 times a day to not look like a convict.

A