Mouth Wash, Yes or No?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by SamIchi, Feb 24, 2006.

1. SamIchi macrumors 68030

SamIchi

I usually floss, then brush, and recently started using mouth wash. I started using it cause I saw that Crest made a kind w/o alcohol. It still kinda stings but not as bad as other stuff I've tried. It does make my teeth feel cleaner. Anyone know if it makes a big difference?

2. w_parietti22 macrumors 68020

Personally, I think it makes my teeth look whiter. See: :D

3. igucl macrumors 6502a

igucl

I use it when I feel a need for that extra freshness. I use Rembrandt, which is also alcohol-free. ;)

4. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

YES. mouthwash kills bacteria and that's always good when it comes to mouths. it burns like a sonofabitch sometimes but i think that's a good thing. you can handle it. :D

5. Duff-Man macrumors 68030

Duff-Man

Duff-Man says...always..it *does* help...oh yeah!

6. tweakers_suck macrumors regular

Mouthwash is good, but it doesn't compare to flossing in overall dental health. Gotta floss!

7. thedude110 macrumors 68020

thedude110

It does to the person you're kissing ... ;)

8. w_parietti22 macrumors 68020

No!!! I dont like flossing!!!! haha I try to do it as often as I can.... but its really hard with braces. So much easier to use mouth wash every day and flosh once or twice a week.

9. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

there's always water picks, i didn't work well with floss when i had braces either.

10. greg555 macrumors 6502a

My dentist recommended Listerene (and only Listerene) to help my gums and it made a big difference to my 40 year old gums. Another big improvement was that I used to get very painful canker sores in my mount from accidentally biting myself (then once I had them the spot would be swollen and I'd be likely to bite it again). But since starting on Listerine (4 or 5 years ago) I've had zero of them! I normally do mouth wash only in the morning but if I've bitten my lip or cheek I also do it at night for a couple of days and they've never turned into sores.

I suffered from them fairly regularly since I was a kid so this is a great accidental discovery for me.

Greg

11. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

I've never used mouthwash. I brush my teeth twice a day and floss once a day, and that seems to be all I need - I have never had a cavity in my life (except for my initial baby teeth when I was little, before I started brushing them myself. ;))

12. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

flossing was such a major pain in the ass when I had braces. It was the second most annoying aspect of having them (after having to readjust my embouchure when playing euphonium/trombone).

13. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

I've gotten several opinions from people in the dental field and they all said; "I'm not a big fan of Listerine (or like products) unless they have Fluoride in them."

I think Listerine takes care of bad breath and that's about it.

Nothing can replace flossing. (which I don't do as often as I should because of these stupid braces!)

14. Deepdale macrumors 68000

Deepdale

And if it doesn't, standards must be quite low to begin with.

15. Sogo macrumors 6502

I do use mouthwash every now and then, but it is not a daily habit. More of a, oh wow i havent done it in a while so what the heck.

My only issue is that after i use mouthwash, my mouth has little/no taste for a little bit. An annoyance, but i nothing really really bad.

16. iGav macrumors G3

It's not all that long ago since Listerene contributed to tooth decay on some people. :eek:

17. jadekitty24 macrumors 65816

jadekitty24

Oh, you gotta use mouthwash. My mouth doesn't feel clean if I don't gargle with Listerine until I'm drooling buckets.
    *just don't immediately engage in a particular type of relations...it may be quite a shock to the other party*

18. iGary Guest

iGary

That crap will rot pipes.

Rob uses it every morning and it leaves a stench in the bathroom.

19. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

no, nothing can replace flossing.

listerine does more than just kill bad breath, in fact it stinks to high heaven, but it goes a long way towards healthy gums too. i had a root canal done and thus had no sensation in that tooth. i apparently didn't floss around it well enough a few times and it irritated my gums. i was told to (duh) floss better and use listerine. since then the problem has stopped. although i've found out the crown is just wrong needs to be replaced now, i am most unhappy about that fact. i HATE going to the dentist and will do anything to avoid it. so if it means using weird mouthwash, so be it. :)

20. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Are you sure that it's the Listerine that's leaving the stench? Perhaps it is instead a word from earlier in your post?

21. dubbz macrumors 68020

dubbz

Looks all green and icky to me :eek: :confused:

*fixes screen colour*

Oh, never mind.

as for the question. No, I don't use it.

22. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

YES!! and i encourage everyone to use mouthwash/floss...don't care if your breath is not bad USE IT!

Bless

23. iGary Guest

iGary

OK it leaves behind a smell like industrial chemicals. :D

24. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Then Rob really needs to change his eating habits. ;)

25. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

yeah, like the kind they use at hospitals. BLECK! some of the "better" mouthwashes smell terrible i think, it's a shame they (listerine and it's derivatives) can't make a more pleasant smelling/tasting one.