.mov as a Desktop?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by MacBoy88, Oct 13, 2003.

1. MacBoy88 macrumors regular

I need to make a .mov as my desktop. It is an awesome iPod ad. Anyone got any ideas?

2. MontanaMacster macrumors regular

3. ColoJohnBoy macrumors 65816

ColoJohnBoy

I just downloaded it and ran it! It's awesome! Kind of nice to have a movie going when I'm doing other stuff. I do have one complaint: there's no playlist feature. If you want to play several movies in succession, you have to put them all in a single folder. Other than that, it rocks!

4. cb911 macrumors 601

cb911

oh sweet!!! MontanaMacster, thanks for posting that link! :D those guys also make heaps of other cool stuff for me to spend my time with!! :D i've hit the jackpot now...!

macboy88, i assume you know you can set a screensaver as your wallpaper, don't you? that's cool as well if you've into the whole moving desktop thing. :) just do a search here, should be heaps of info about it. ;)

5. VladDracul macrumors member

How can you set a screensaver as your desktop?

6. Veldek macrumors 68000

Veldek

From the terminal:

nice +20 /System/Library/Frameworks/ScreenSaver.framework/Resources/ScreenSaverEngine.app/Contents/MacOS/ScreenSaverEngine -background &

Or you have to get one of the apps. Just look at VersionTracker.

7. ColoJohnBoy macrumors 65816

ColoJohnBoy

I've been using it some this morning, and it turns out the thing is a CPU monster. If you're going to be running a lot of applications without much RAM, look out. It was okay with just Word, iChat, and Mail open.

I have it set on my folder of music videos. Nothing like watching Missy Elliot "Get Hur Freak On" in the middle of an Anglo-Saxon Poetry class. :D

(I had the sound off, so I could enjoy "Beowulf" at the same time)

8. cb911 macrumors 601

cb911

you've got to expect that an app like that will eat your CPU... it is playing a movie after all.

i was just thinking how good it would be to pull a prank on someone with having a movie as their desktop. you could take a screenshot of their desktop, then make that as the start of the movie... then as they are working away they see heaps of funny stuff happen. :D the possibilities are limitless!! :D

9. Dale Sorel macrumors 6502a

Dale Sorel

Re: .mov as a Desktop?

You can do that with DeskShade Plus.